• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2005 hi pressure hose corroded at rack, removal.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
final stages of the 2.3 engine swap.
had the PS pump pulled off to the side, when I put it back together the pressure line leaked at the pump.
truck has 367,500+ miles on it, so I had no issue with replacing the original hose.
this is a rust belt Ranger, and it let me know that in a big way.
the pressure & return lines have O rings and just push in, are retained by a plate.
where the pressure hose connects to the rack was corroded in and seized, I pulled and beat on it for a couple hours with no progress whatsoever.

pulled the rack off for better access, and to prepare it for a possible "launching"
had to break the tube off, it was already mangled from pulling on it.

2022-07-08 19.48.37.jpg

2022-07-08 19.48.06.jpg

drilled some holes to relieve stress, and get penetrating oil in.

2022-07-08 20.15.36.jpg

I drilled in at an angle to avoid the rack housing, when corrosion powder came up the bit I knew it was in deep enough.
after some more bashing it finally came out, very little damage to the rack.

2022-07-08 20.21.22.jpg

filled the hole with grease to keep cleaning debris out, then picked, scraped, and wire-wheeled it. small Dremel wire wheel.

2022-07-08 20.24.38.jpg

final result. by the way, that small hole at the bottom is a moveable check valve do-hickey. I probably forced some grease past it.

2022-07-08 20.58.08.jpg

the stud is in good and solid, it did not want to come out. it kinda restricted access with tools. and I did not want to screw with the other 2 lines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals