• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 2003 Ranger 2.3 Rebuild

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
i have the starter off and i can see the bolts i just wonder how the hell you can get a socket on there to get them.

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
never mind, i just realized that theres a rubber spacer for the starter to peel off and access the bolts easier. i feel like a dumbass.

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
torque convert bolts off, bellhousing and engine mount bolts have been off, even remember to get the transcooler lines off, and the bastard still isnt coming loose

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I saw something about the oil filter mount.
Also look up the posts from this guys recent job on one just like it, should help you along some

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
look for more bolts.
I cut the heads off some longer bolts and put them in to act as guides.
that helps a lot when reinstalling the engine.
this is a 2002, manual of course, but the bolt pattern is the same.
2018-11-30 15.53.55.jpg

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I was messing around pick and pay they didn't charge for bolts as I recall. I have 4 or 5 bags of them in the back, fuses too

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the help and support guys. Will give it another go in the morning!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Lift the engine and trans together as high as they will go. Then get a piece of wood, put it on a jack and put that under the transmission. Then start lowering the engine down. That will usually break the engine and the trans loose from each other with a little added wiggling. Then you can lift the engine back up and pull it forward over top of the engine mounts on the frame.

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Lift the engine and trans together as high as they will go. Then get a piece of wood, put it on a jack and put that under the transmission. Then start lowering the engine down. That will usually break the engine and the trans loose from each other with a little added wiggling. Then you can lift the engine back up and pull it forward over top of the engine mounts on the frame.
after much delay being on vacation i came back yesterday and tried this. it broke the engine loose and got to cranking on it as soon as i got it in my garage. Got to dissasembling it and could tell my chain to my oil pump was broken, i dont know if it broke when i was the engine out, or if thats what caused the bad oil pressure. A little off topic, but while i was working on my engine, my retriever started going into labor. so not only was i cranking on the 2.3 but being a damn redneck obstetrician. Breaking into it i also noticed #4 bearing was SHREDDED. every other piston bearing seemed like they experienced normal use.
bad bearing.jpg
sfsdfsdf.jpg
margy birth.jpg

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
i will bring the crankshaft to a machinists, cant really afford it. but i want to do this the right way.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
i will bring the crankshaft to a machinists, cant really afford it. but i want to do this the right way.
There is no other way. I did see Autozone has a crankshaft kit, already machined with matching bearings for $251.99. The want $32 for your old crankshaft.

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
There is no other way. I did see Autozone has a crankshaft kit, already machined with matching bearings for $251.99. The want $32 for your old crankshaft.
i saw it too. sadly they do not home deliver to my location

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
i would rather support a local business anyway! this machine shop has previously machined my 5.3,6.0, and 4.9! i trust these guys more than anyone else

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
i would rather support a local business anyway! this machine shop has previously machined my 5.3,6.0, and 4.9! i trust these guys more than anyone else
That and you know the history of the crankshaft you will be getting. Get ready though, they will check the thrust surface of the crank. If it's worn, there is nothing they can do but spray it up and that is expensive. Just wait and see what they say.

JoshuaDonMusk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
anyone know where i can find a torque spec sheet? i sadly do not have my hands on a engine manual.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals