• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 alternator options

justin30513

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
First off I have a 2003 Ford Ranger Tremor Edition with 185K.

I'm needing some solid information on my alternator options.
Being an 03 Tremor Edition my truck came with a 115 amp alternator. It burnt up 2 years ago and I was forced to replace it with a 95 amp alternator as the original could not be repaired. I needed to get it back on the road as soon as possible and used a alternator from Advance Auto. I know I want to hunt down the correct alternator but a used one. Of course all the junkyard option show it will not work on my 03 but now I'm reading that a 130 amp alternator can work on it is well.
If this is true, what do I need to look for exactly for it to be a direct replacement? Essentially I want the largest used OEM Motorcraft alternator I can put on my truck without modification or little modification meaning a belt or a plug.

I'm without an alternator now so as soon as anyone can help me is deeply appreciated!
I just want to get the best for my money and I'm seeing 115 to 130 amp alternators going for 60 to $80 shipped.
Thank you so much!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

justin30513

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's still difficult to tell what I need to get and where from it looks like I can get a 04 to 06 Explorer 130 amp alternator.
I just want to get the biggest Factory alternator I can put on there with the least amount of modifications. I mean if I have to do a belt that's no big deal.
I'm stuck with no alternator so I need some help pretty quick. I've been doing research but nothing from someone that has actually done it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Any of the alternators with the 2 hole case as shown in the photo in ericbphoto's link will give you the desired 130 amp version. I bought mine on eBay for about $30 IIRC and it was a direct swap. No plug or belt changes, just disconnect the old and install the new. If you're looking at the junkyard, I'd try focusing on 4.0 Rangers and Explorers. My impression is that they were either standard there or at least a lot more common.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
No modifications necessary. it bolts in. I've done it. It will work.

If you plan on adding a lot of electrical load later such as powerful off-road lights, big stereo amp, winch, etc. Then you may want to upgrade the big wire from the alternator to the starter relay to handle extra current. But with stock loads connected, the existing wire should be ok.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm without an alternator now so as soon as anyone can help me is deeply appreciated!
I just want to get the best for my money and I'm seeing 115 to 130 amp alternators going for 60 to $80 shipped.
Thank you so much!
I purchased a new WAI 130 amp part number 7768N. You'll need to sub out you 6 groove pulley as this alt came with an 8 groove.

Price $130 from very trusted local alternator shop. I don't buy starters or alternator from parts stores, especially rebuilds.

Bolted right on my 2003.

justin30513

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Any of the alternators with the 2 hole case as shown in the photo in ericbphoto's link will give you the desired 130 amp version. I bought mine on eBay for about $30 IIRC and it was a direct swap. No plug or belt changes, just disconnect the old and install the new. If you're looking at the junkyard, I'd try focusing on 4.0 Rangers and Explorers. My impression is that they were either standard there or at least a lot more common.
Thank you for responding and for all the information!
What years should I look for? 04 through 07 possibly?
Thank you so much.
Crazy when you message someone on eBay how little they know about cross-referencing unless it's literally stated on the computer screen. Even had a used parts supplier AKA junkyard.
Why would you want yard not tell you if a alternator from an 05 Explorer will work on a 03 Ranger? Seems like they would sell a lot more.
One last thing, nowhere shows in 03 having a 115 amp alternator offered at anytime. Only on 04s. Mine's clearly a 2003 Tremor Edition and had a 115. Crazy. No wonder I'm confused LOL!

justin30513

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No modifications necessary. it bolts in. I've done it. It will work.

If you plan on adding a lot of electrical load later such as powerful off-road lights, big stereo amp, winch, etc. Then you may want to upgrade the big wire from the alternator to the starter relay to handle extra current. But with stock loads connected, the existing wire should be ok.
Thank you for the response.
I do a lot of car audio and that is one reason I'm going up with the 130 alternator. For the size system that I'm doing, and upgrading all of my wiring to 0 gauge, there's no reason for me to use an alternator larger than the 130.
I'm using a red top Optima brand new battery for my main and then a Maxwell supercapacitor Bank with 500 farad's next to the amplifiers. All of this will have 0 gauge wiring as well. When major upgrade that people overlook is grounding the alternator directly to the chassis are they separate run.

I want to get the lowest miles possible for the alternator so what would be a specific model and year your look for if you were looking for a 130 alternator right now?
Thanks again!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I have no idea if a V8 Explorer alternator will work, but I doubt it. Any Ranger alternator with the case pictured in the link above will be fine.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have no idea if a V8 Explorer alternator will work, but I doubt it. Any Ranger alternator with the case pictured in the link above will be fine.
In the mid 90s the small blocks changed up the bracketry a bit. I know a 96 Bronco with a 5.8 uses the same alternator as a 4.0. It is reasonable to think a 5.0 Explorer might as well.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Mine came from an explorer. But I don't remember what year or what engine. I wrote down the info from the tech article telling me what vehicles to look for and just started walking the rows at the junk yard. I got lucky and found one that seemed to be brand new - oem Ford sticker and no corrosion at all on it. Someone must have replaced it right before they scrapped the truck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
In the mid 90s the small blocks changed up the bracketry a bit. I know a 96 Bronco with a 5.8 uses the same alternator as a 4.0. It is reasonable to think a 5.0 Explorer might as well.
I'll have to wander the basement and find both alternators. From memory the one from my donor explorer had different mounting than the ranger unit but I may have imagined that.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'll have to wander the basement and find both alternators. From memory the one from my donor explorer had different mounting than the ranger unit but I may have imagined that.
I also know that Ford used two depths with the same style.

The 4.0 OHV alternator will work on the SOHC bracket, but the rear hole doesn't line up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals