• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 ranger questions.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok so im looking for some preemptive input on a few problems i will be tackling on a friends ranger tomorrow. I haven't actually seen the truck yet but what I know about it is that it's a 2002 ranger with a 3.0 and a 5 speed (so an M5od?). So here are the problems I have been asked to look at tomorrow.

1. The speedometer doesn't work. My Question here is do these newer trucks still have a speedometer cable or is speeometer run off of a VSS? (vehicle speed sensor) If so how would one go about testing one.

2. The windshield wipers don't work. (continued in question 3)

3. The blinkers won't work when the steering column is tilted down. But work fine while the column is all the way up. My Question here is are there any connections in the steering column that could be coming disconnected that hook up to the blinker/ wiper switch?

Also if anyone has a good wiring diagram for the blinker/ wiper switch that they could post a picture of it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any advise.

cntryboytim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
on my 99 i had the same problem with wipers and blinkers. i had to buy the whole switch assembly. something inside it was broken. i think 4 screws to get the stering column open two or three bolts for tthe switch assembly then maby two electrical conections. i think it took me maby 30 minutes to fix. did that 4 years ago and not another problem since.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. That's kind of what I guessed just thought I would get some more input.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I am proud to say that I never had any issues with my 99 Ranger. I have never replaced a single light bulb or headlight since I bought it new July 3rd 1999. I lifted the truck in 2001 and in 2002 I added the PA bl. I am on my second set of 33x12.5 KO tires. In 2005 updated my third tail light to an LED model 'cause I like the looks and the brightness of it. I have never had a problem with my windshield wipers or blinkers or overdrive or any electrical issues. No leaks of any type. Everything works great.
I wish 3 of my buddies with 2000 and 2003 Rangers had better luck. They have had the blinkers stop altogether, no windshield wipers when they encountered a sudden violent storm or the headlights went out while they were coming home at 2:00 in the morning.
I know a lot of people that never had any issues with their Rangers and like me they are so happy about that. Maybe it is the place they were built or the people working on the assembly line at that time or who put built the electrical components?? It is hard to say. It is so strange to hear stories of who had issues and who has not had issues with their vehicle.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the same boat as Straycat, Nothing wrong with my truck except the airbag light is on because the PAD light filiment broke. Other then that just basic tune ups and what not.

As for the speedometer... On the newer trucks its on with the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located on top of the rear axle. but if the sensor goes out your ABS would come on as well because it is tied into the same sensor. My guess is something behind the dash is causing the problems as you also have other issues behind there as well as it sounds.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I would be looking for broken wires in the column for the signals and wiper issues...see it quite a bit with people who are always moving the column up and down.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input guys. I spent the better part of today trying to figure it out. So far I have gotten the blinkers working but that's it. So does any one have a diagram for the wipers? Also does anyone have the spec for the resistance value for the OSS (Output Shaft Speed) for a 2000 and up? I Found the resistance for the 95-97 and for 98-00 but nothing past that. Any input is appreciated.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
1. The speedometer doesn't work. My Question here is do these newer trucks still have a speedometer cable or is speeometer run off of a VSS? (vehicle speed sensor) If so how would one go about testing one.
VSS. Hook a volt meter to it set on A/C and run the wheels in the air. If you get voltage, you have a good sensor. The rear axle ones were problematic, but it should trigger an ABS light too if the sensor has failed.
2. The windshield wipers don't work. (continued in question 3)

3. The blinkers won't work when the steering column is tilted down. But work fine while the column is all the way up. My Question here is are there any connections in the steering column that could be coming disconnected that hook up to the blinker/ wiper switch?
Common issue. The hardshell itself breaks and lets the wires come out when the column isn't the whole way up. Pull the shrouds, check for the wires being tight. NAPA usually keeps those pigtails in stock for less than $20.

Also if anyone has a good wiring diagram for the blinker/ wiper switch that they could post a picture of it would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any advise.
Can't get at the diagrams right now. IE doesn't want to work right. It's good bet the issue is at the plug anyway.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Thank you ill check that out tomorrow to see if I just missed it today.
Im just spit balling here but does the 2000+ use the signal from both the output shaft sensor and the abs sensor in the rear end to get the vehicle speed, or possibly just the output shaft sensor? Because the ABS light isn't on and the speedometer doesn't work. Or am I looking at a problem with the gauge its self?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals