• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 3.0 Ranger rough idle no codes

Rangerdanger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So ive read through multiple forums and done some research and haven’t been able to figure out whats going on. I have a 2002 ranger edge 3.0. The truck is idle on average 750 bug dips to high 500s and mid 800s as ive seen from when i plugged in my scanner. The idle just kind of tumbles when its sitting and shakes the whole truck sometimes. Every once in a while it feels like it could stall. Also im not sure if it’s because the 3.0 is not all that powerful but it doesn’t go up hills very well. I do know a good bit on how to work on vehicles but still have much to learn and diagnosing issues is not my strong suit. So far i have cleaned maf sensor, checked for vaccum leakes with carb cleaner, replaced a sensor on the intake manifold(cant remember what it was called) and have just looked around trying to see if anything is off but i cant really find anything wrong. There is one tube that’s coming off of the intake manifold after right after the throttle body that i think is the evap hose? Thats what i got from research but its very crusty and the outer is coming off not sure if that coucontribute to the problem. Any advice would be great im not sure where to go from here.

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you are using FORScan, create a profile with these parameters:

NM - Total number of misfires
MAF - Mass Air Flow
IAC - Idle air control
RPM - Engine revolutions per minute

If your NM keeps climbing just in idle, you can then open the Test -> ODBC-II Mode 6. That shows which cylinder misfired the most (%). If mode 6 clearly identify one cylinder, then swap its injector with a neighbor to rule out fuel issue.

Independent of above, do a full compression test of all cylinders to see if the result corroborate the mode 6 misfire result.

If you have an original 3.0 since it left the factory in 2002, most likely you need a pair of cylinder heads. This engine is known to have weak valve stems. Rebuilt heads from autozone or oreily's are about $500 a pair -- mainly new exhaust valve stems and refinished valves. I have the same model year as yours, and the autozone heads were the highest $ parts for my engine rebuild.

Rangerdanger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It has pretty new heads only a couple thousand miles on them so hopefully thats not the issue. Also did a compression test recently after replacing the lower intake gasket and they all seemed to be pretty much the same. Also im not sure if my scanner is using forscan its a foxwell nt301 i got off amazon so I dont know if I can do exactly what you stated above but I can check it out. When I got to look at like data it allows me to show a custom data set but I have never looked at that but is that where I should go to get that information?

Rangerdanger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know much about these scanners but I just looked through mine and didn’t see anything like that. I found and “on-board monitor test” section and gives me all these options to click on for different test data. I clicked on a few but not sure what the numbers and information given even means.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals