• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Mercury Mountaineer

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Ok, when I go look at this, how do I test the 4wd or AWD to make sure it's working properly? How do I make sure it's not stuck in 4HI? Thanks, Scott
If it is a V8, it's an AWD. There is not a selector, manual or electric, for any change to the transfer case. It is always engaged. Therefore, there is no 4HI to be "stuck" in.

To check the VC you can do one of two things.

1. You can pull the front driveline and park it on an incline. Put mark on the ground and/or tire and if the viscous coupling is working properly, it will "creep" forward about an inch in an hour.

2. Jack up the rear end. Put a 2X4 all the way in front of each front tire, and it must touch both tires (so don't get it at Home Depot). Start the Explorer, and put it in drive and let it idle. It should just sit there. If it tries to pull itself over the 2X4's - the coupling is toast.

Last edited:

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Or just drive in a slow tight circle and see off it binds...

My Ex will just barely roll in drive with the wheels turned all the way. And if it turn tight with any kind of moderate speed it does a weird hobble thing, leaves black marks on the pavement, and you can hear the tires slipping and sliding.

Judging by all the customer cases I've diagnosed, I consider my coupling to be 1/2 way from locked up, it still slips but forcefully.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals