• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 3.0 1.8:1 Roller Rockers Installed

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I installed the roller rockers in my '01 3.0, 4x4, manual last night. Install couldnt be easier. Just like Tom said, unbolt one & bole the new one in. I read through a how-to that is posted on Rager-Forums (http://www.ranger-forums.com/f59/how-install-morana-roller-rockers-3-0-a-84419/) great write up. A few difference between years but nothing big. Also the 1.8's are a burnt orange not blue.

During disassembly you have to disconnect the fuel injector plugs. Well the #1 & #3 cylender tabs broke off, so once it was all back together I started it up. these two plugs wont stay connected well enough so I'm getting a miss. I had my rommate hold them down just to see a difference.

The motor is sooo much more quiet now. there isnt a slight fiction noise you dont even realize is there until its gone. Also, it seemed to rev about twice as fast. I am going to get two plugs from the salvage yard today and then drive it around. I will post up after that.

Last edited:

Bigschwerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you have to take the intake off to install them?

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the drivers side valve cover sits under it and you need it out of the way in order to get to the passenger side valver cover bolts as well. You can see in the pic that in intake is taken off. That is too easy to do though.

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got the fuel injection wiring repair kit from Ford and fixed my two injectors and it fired right up. Took it out for a test drive. It definitelly revs faster, no noticeble gains between idel and about 3100 rpms, but at 3100 rpms you can definitely feel a power gain. Took it to around 5300 rpms then backed off. I'm curious to see if theres a difference in fuel economy now.

jlucas2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel Economy!?

I live at the beach and I only get about 15-17mpg :icon_confused: from my 3.0L 2wd edge extended cab! Did the roller rockers help? I have been looking at them for a while I just dont want to hurt my gas milage even more! Oh yeah my truck is STOCK, runs great, no engine lights, I even have new heads!

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I dont know yet i just installed them a last night and drove about 2 miles with them so far. I've talked to a few guys with the 1.7's roller rockers and they said they got an increase in miliage. I usually get 17.5-18.5 out of mine before the rockers. I'll update after the first full tank. Probably by monday or tuesday

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I live at the beach and I only get about 15-17mpg
Something is wrong that roller rockers won't solve. I get 20 - 22 with non-ethanol and 19 - 20 with 10% ethanol. My long term average is 20mpg. As well if the 1.8s only kick in about 3100rpm then it will be tough to utilize them to possibly save gas.

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Something is wrong that roller rockers won't solve. I get 20 - 22 with non-ethanol and 19 - 20 with 10% ethanol. My long term average is 20mpg. As well if the 1.8s only kick in about 3100rpm then it will be tough to utilize them to possibly save gas.
Damn you are getting some really great gas milage. EPA rating for these 3.0's isnt nearly that high. Although most of the power is felt at ~3100 rpm's is no surprise. That is where the power band starts on these motors. However, thats not to say they dont provide anything at lower rps's. I'm expecting to see slightly better fuel economy and i try to shift at 3k all the time, unless im accelorating fast, then i wind it out to around 5000.

Bigschwerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can't wait to see your results...

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
i get around 16-17 city. and that is with crappy vegas gas and air. but around 20 on highway driving. i think it would help.

jlucas2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Well it all makes since now I have the 4.10 gear in the rear and I drive my truck like I stole it and the cops are on my ass! It is hitting 5K revs almost everyday! This little truck can move for a 3.slow, but I sure thought I would get a little better gas milage than that. Well I am going to get my motor check to make sure it is in good enough condition to do some performance mods, so PLEASE tell me what you think of the 1.8 roller rockers!! I am not sure if they are worth the extra money or if I should rocker the 1.7 roller rocker!?

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well it all makes since now I have the 4.10 gear in the rear and I drive my truck like I stole it and the cops are on my ass! It is hitting 5K revs almost everyday! This little truck can move for a 3.slow, but I sure thought I would get a little better gas milage than that. Well I am going to get my motor check to make sure it is in good enough condition to do some performance mods, so PLEASE tell me what you think of the 1.8 roller rockers!! I am not sure if they are worth the extra money or if I should rocker the 1.7 roller rocker!?
Thats an easy desicion, you can only get the 1.8 rockers now. They stopped offering the 1.7's about 3 months ago IIRC.

As far as these go, I like them alot. There is noticable power difference, especially above 3k. The engine revs faster so that helps with the lower end of the rev's as well. I'm still waiting to see the fuel economy for my first tank with them on. All in all, I'd do it again :icon_thumby:

jlucas2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
Well thanks for that tip! :icon_thumby: I guess I will get the 1.8:1 LOL Did you order yours throught Tom Morana or someone else? Thanks!

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Through Tom. He does not supply them though. He is in Ontario, Canada and these come out of Michigan. I dont know if you can order them straight from the supplier for cheaper or not. I havent even found anyone else that sells them though.

jasongind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I put the UD pullies on it sat as well. I must say it is like a new motor with the rockers and the pullies. I have no issues with the 3.0 with these mods. The motor revs so much faster. I loaded two Honda CRF250's and a CRF 50 plus 3 people and all out gear today, drove an hour to the riding area and it pulled wonderfully. Power for days. Before with just my one CRF 250 in it, I would have to continually down shift and to maintain 60+. I was keeping a steady 70 np now. Also, the fuel milage is the same so far as before with nothing in the bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals