• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 turbo.....

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my main reason for not just installing larger injectors is the stock computer
would need to be reflashed or chiped to compensate for the larger injectors to work at idle and when im just driven around not under boost I only need the extra fuel when under boost
Read my post above... fuel isn't the only issue to deal with when you enter boost.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my main reason for not just installing larger injectors is the stock computer
would need to be reflashed or chiped to compensate for the larger injectors to work at idle and when im just driven around not under boost I only need the extra fuel when under boost
well....unless u have ever converted anything non turbo to turbo i wouldnt even suggest u try this.....its gonna be alot of work for me to get it done and ive lost count of the number of turbo motors ive done and worked on

v6TurboRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have done more then a few non-turbo to turbo conversions in the past But this will be my first Ford Ranger conversion. I also know there is more to think of then just adding the extra fuel under boost timming retard being one of them Im not planning to run HI boost on the truck 7 to 8 psi max at these low boost levels and running hi octane gas instead of regular detnation should not be a problem I can always back off the base timming a few degrese if I need to. Granted if I was planning to run 12 to 15 psi of boost or more that would open up a whole new can of worms then engine managment with timming control would be much more importent. At that point I would go with something like the Megasqurit sys I see some of the guys are running. But running low boost with decent gas I should not have to worry about melting pistons from sprark knock. I also know the speed Dencity sys on the truck now is not the best sys to have on a modded eng. but my eng is going to remain stock Im just adding a turbo so at start up , idle or driving around not under boost the truck should should run like a stock 2.9 ranger cause the stock computer has no way of knowing I installed a turbo. Im not trying to get the stock computer to compesate for larger injectors ported heads or a mild cam. The only time anything changes is when the turbo spools up and I cross over into boost at that time I need to add fuel to compensate for the extra valume of air being forced into the engine . The fuel sys i plan to use is a stand alone EFI additional injector controler that works just like the megasqurit sys and has a built in 3 bar map sensor and is tunable via laptop at different RPM and boost load points on its own 3D fuel map Im not going to be useing an FMU to increase my fuel pressure under-boost as I agree useing an FMU is a bandade at best

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i really hope u atleast pull the engine and get the pistons u will need, otherwise even at that low boost level u can burn a hole in ur pistons

v6TurboRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes an engine rebuild is planed to coinside with the remote turbo install Im gathering parts ect. now so that when I pull the engine to do the rebuild I will have most everything I need to complete the project I just recently installed a 3" exhaust sys from the y pipe back

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I think it's too late, but I saw this a few days ago, Interesting....

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes an engine rebuild is planed to coinside with the remote turbo install Im gathering parts ect. now so that when I pull the engine to do the rebuild I will have most everything I need to complete the project I just recently installed a 3" exhaust sys from the y pipe back
well gl to you on it, hope it works out for u, im not doin a remote system for the simple fact that i wheel the truck....alot, and mud on turbos is not a good combo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals