• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 4.0 swap misfire ?

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Swap was a 89 2.9 to a 4.0 unknown engine yr but using 91 ecm and harness. first I will give you a lil laugh after getting the engine harness in place I put my old 2.9 ecm on it not knowing. Fought with it for about a day then checked. But it still doesn't run right with the 4.0 ecm. Its not firing on the 1,2and 4 cylinders. I have spark at the coil on all 6 and the wires test good. Tonight i replaced the plugs no change.

Things I have not checked fuel pressure, compression or any sensors as far as I know the CEL is not on but I might not have that wire hooked up. It has a new fuel filter and I have cleaned the mafs. I am sumped on why its the 1,2 and 4 cylinders

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
if you have fire on all 6 at the coil pack... change the plug wires.

oh. nevermind. missed that part

how do you know its not firing on those cyclinders?

check your fuel pressure, you need to know it...

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you have fire on all 6 at the coil pack... change the plug wires.

oh. nevermind. missed that part

how do you know its not firing on those cyclinders?

check your fuel pressure, you need to know it...
Having jba headers and using an infrared thermo. the header tube temps are
cylinder # 1: 99degrees
2:105
3:487
4:200
5:490
6:497
the old plugs were pretty black like its rich on the 3,5and 6 or the hot cylinders. I wont get back out to trouble shoot anything till friday night. Im still at the :icon_confused: stage though I will have the new wires then to so I 100% rule that out. To me it seams like a fuel/ injector problem

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
check fuel pressure first
then check injectors. swap the injectors around... check for power at the injectors.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like a good start to me

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so Fuel pressure is at 60psi. compression is 180-190psi new. new plugs and wires.

Its running really rich till it reaches around 150dgrees maybe, then it seems to mellow out and I think run on all but the #1 cylinder. So im thinking maybe a coolant temp sensor. But not 100% sure of it. I quit for the night so back at it on the morning to test the CTS

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
but you are firing and getting gas to 2-6 cylinders? that's good
is the check engine light on? does it come on if you turn the key on but not crank it? verify the light will light up, if so... does it have a code?

really doesn't matter, can you get your hands on a obd1 code reader? or look in the tech library and learn how to flash the codes out w/ the light or an ohms meter. see if it gives you a code.

personally, i have a innova code reader for obd 1 and 2 (one of the best tools i ever bought, btw)
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3140-Diagnostic-Scanner-Vehicles/dp/B000R3SNJU
i think mine is the 3120, the one i linked is just a newer version. its been well worths it money.

coolant temp sensors are cheap, don't buy one at autozone tho, trust me... i had a nice go around w/ 4 sensors in a row that didn't fix my problem... 1 from advance auto, problem solved. nothing else was changed/done differently. i just don't see how it could be that sensor tho.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the one out of my 2.9 its only a year old and came from a running motor. The cel light comes on with a system check at the key turn. but I don't know if I have the wire hooked up. I don't have all the wiring done. Just what I need to get the motor running to make sure all is well.

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok its running stupid rich. mafs checks out ok with a voltage check. Coolant temp sensor checks out ok. New air intake sensor.

Still missing on #1cylinder all the time along with random misfires. Im at a loss here out of ideas. weird thing i unplugged the map maf and air intake temp and the idle smoothed out. I tried to pull cel codes but something isn't right im not getting anything from the eec

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I don't know how I over looked the 60psi. Had a bad FPR but now still have a high idle. Like about 1000 to 1200. The cell is on so I guess I will try and pull the codes tomorrow.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
??

So I don't know how I over looked the 60psi. Had a bad FPR but now still have a high idle. Like about 1000 to 1200. The cell is on so I guess I will try and pull the codes tomorrow.
Did you ever get it figured out?:icon_confused:

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, yeah the FPR was the main problem. But after 2 months of driving it still idles at 900 to 1200rpm and has a surge untill I come to a stop. Thats the weird thing to me it will idle surge when I push in the clutch to coast to a stop but as soon as I get to about 5mph it will stop and idle between 900-1200

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals