• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 tick

2manyfords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
10psi at idle is still kind of low isn't it?

Was the engine completly warmed up when you did the oil pressure check?

I've had a 2.9L loose oil pressure after a few miles down the highway once "everything" was up to operating temperature.

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the response i feel alittle better but im worried about the low oil pressure at idle or is it ok?10 at idle when warm

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'd worry a bit more about the 700 RPM idle.

Spec for a 2.9L is 800 RPM for manual transmission, 900 RPM for automatic. Is the base timing off?

Oil pressure is generally proportional to RPM, so something is a bit off. It's kinda hard to make a system where the pressure falls faster than that. If it's really 15 PSI, it's in proportion.

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
can you turn the idle up any?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you can, it's broken.

2.9Ls have a thing that looks like an idle stop screw. It's NOT that. It's an adjustment for the TPS (should be ~1V with the key on and throttle closed). It won't affect the idle speed for more than a very short time.

Run the self tests and check base timing. There are a handful of problems that can cause incorrect or unsteady idle. Most of them are pretty simple to repair.

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well i put oil pump rod and main bearings and it still has low oil pressure at idle?id say 7 to 10 pounds at 800 rpm's

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i didnt even think about the rpm. it holds 40psi at 2000 rpm but at idle about 700 rpm it holds very low like 10 psi
That is probably fine...similar to what I've seen em run at before. What weight oil are you using and what was the ambient temperature at the time?

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well today the oil pressue is at 25 at idle/700 rpms at 190 and 60 psi at 2000 so im pretty happy and the tick went away so i guess its good for now unless there some problem areas i can fix before somethin bad happens.

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i ahte to bother everyone again about my p.o.s but it started the same thing again it wont hold no oil pressure and the lifters wont pump up so its missen so can someone give me an idea?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
cold start up tick?

if its like my truck it ticks for less than a minute on cold start up if you dont drive it for a couple days.its more than likely that a little oil is draining back to the pan from the oil passages and your old worn lifters dont like it.combine that with enlarged cam bearing clearance and it takes a little bit to build pressure.the pressure regulator on my truck also ticks loudly im more worried about that as ive heard you can drive a long time with the start up lifter tick.new lifters might help but i wouldnt tear it down unless they were noisy all the time.

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
there is a oil regulator? mine it dont tick when cold but when it warms up and when it warms up the lifters bleed down im guessing and the the valves wont open so then it wont hit in that cylinder. im just wonderin whats wrong.:temper:

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
anybody got an idea?

RadDadsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check spark plugs

Had the same problem with a 2000 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L 4 banger. Checked all over to figure out what was clicking. Finally, while checking the plug wires, I noticed that when I pushed down on No. 1 plug wire with engine running, the ticking stopped. Sure enough, the plug had apparently not been torqued down enough, and it had backed out of the plug hole enough for the compression to blow out around the plug, making the ticking sound. Tightened the plug, and all was fine. Never backed out again.

As MAKG so wisely advised me once, don't overlook the obvious before digging too deeply and randomly replacing parts. :clapping:

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
there is a oil regulator? mine it dont tick when cold but when it warms up and when it warms up the lifters bleed down im guessing and the the valves wont open so then it wont hit in that cylinder. im just wonderin whats wrong.:temper:

yes, its built into the oil pump. there is also a high volume oil pump available from napa for about the same money.

ford_2.8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the help but it does have the high volocity oil pump in it now and its not gettin oil to the top end or somthin cause i had the valve covers of and they were all loose so i tightened them up and they just went back to ticken. when you first start it cold it will berry out the 100 psi oil gauge at idle at 190 degreese it has no oil pressure at idle so i have no ideas besides the top end or maybe the block is cracked?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals