• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8l thermostat issues

ShadowWolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Pump is almost brand new :) Was replaced about 1500 miles before it overheated. Thanks for those links!

EDIT: This is definitely the right one? Also, any ideas where to get the second piece?

EDIT OF THE EDIT: What screws into the threaded hole just above the intake mount? The temp sensor?

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic

ShadowWolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Ordered the two pieces, should be here by Monday. Thank you so much for the help so far! I have the rad sitting with vinegar and water in it overnight, hopefully that will clean it out real good.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Cool probably the best thing I did for my truck other than replacing the valve guide seals and resealing the intake manifold zo far I can go a full year without adding oil I was getting 300 miles per quart.

ShadowWolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I did mine when I changed the head gaskets, there was literally no rubber left, only the spring lol. Used to smoke like mad, now there's not a ounce of smoke to be seen. She runs VERY strong, but sadly I can not get her to run at the right temp... Hopefully this does it :)

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
your getting close for sure my temp guage rarely goes above mid point on the guage and thats pulling a pass at 60mph on a hot day. As soon as it hits the flat the temp goes back to norm. You say you have a extra water pump gasket now would be the time to blast the crap out of the block pull thermostat out of the lower housing and it will work for the upper one. That bypass cover behind the water pump is a real pain for sure. Not as bad as trying to change the fuel pump now that is a pain.

ShadowWolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well, taking the water pump off is not an option as my biggest wrench is just short of fitting the fan clutch :( . So I'm just going to run the hose into the water intake and run the engine with that until I get clean water coming out.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
That is one thing I never tried maybe put it all together just dont put the thermostat in and leave the upper hose disconnected at the radiator and run it until clean water comes out the upper hose then pull the old upper housing and install the thermostat. Another trick you can do is drill a small hole in the thermostat and put the hole in the highest point in the housing to self bleed the air out of the upper intake manifold and housing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals