• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8L Duraspark Conversion

NikNak342

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm sure this has been asked many many times..
Just bought an 84 Ranger 2.8L 3spd Auto 4x4
She runs rich. The previous owner was planning to do the duraspark conversion and collected some of the parts for it, but was unsuccessful in finding a distributor. I work in parts at a Ford dealership so I have been digging deep into this one. When I look up the cardone distributor it says it fits the 84 ranger?? The oem part# does not cross to the same cardone part# so I have my doubts. I guess what I am asking is will the OEM distributor work on the old 84 for the rest of the conversion? I'm used to the newer Fords so the carbureted world is bit foreign to me. My parts catalog barely goes back to 1980 so i'm lucky if I can get part numbers for anything 1980-1995ish.
Should I look for a used pinto distributor?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am sure Cardone sells a "rebuilt" distrbutor for a 1984 ranger, but you will end up with what you have now, a distributor that requires the computer to adjust the timing. It has no centrifugal weights or a vacuum advance unit on it to adjust the timing to the engine.

You need a earlier 2.8 distributor that was on the mustang II's and the pinto's, before they came out with this computer system. Problem is, the supply has all dried up. I got one of the last ones, and it was a piece of junk from Cardone. But it's all I had, and I was able to take it apart and get it going again.

The other option I think would be doable is get a points 2.8 distributor. They were on the 1974 pinto's and mustang II's I believe. I think the last time I looked, the parts stores still had some. You could then slip in a pertronix conversion and get a electronic distributor with the mechanical advance and vacuum advance on it. By the time you buy the distributor and the pertronix conversion, you will most likely be approaching $300.

If you want to try and deal overseas, I think some places in Europe sell a bosch type distributor that fits these engines. But you have to use a different distributor cap and I didn't know about the shipping.

NikNak342

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am sure Cardone sells a "rebuilt" distrbutor for a 1984 ranger, but you will end up with what you have now, a distributor that requires the computer to adjust the timing. It has no centrifugal weights or a vacuum advance unit on it to adjust the timing to the engine.

You need a earlier 2.8 distributor that was on the mustang II's and the pinto's, before they came out with this computer system. Problem is, the supply has all dried up. I got one of the last ones, and it was a piece of junk from Cardone. But it's all I had, and I was able to take it apart and get it going again.

The other option I think would be doable is get a points 2.8 distributor. They were on the 1974 pinto's and mustang II's I believe. I think the last time I looked, the parts stores still had some. You could then slip in a pertronix conversion and get a electronic distributor with the mechanical advance and vacuum advance on it. By the time you buy the distributor and the pertronix conversion, you will most likely be approaching $300.

If you want to try and deal overseas, I think some places in Europe sell a bosch type distributor that fits these engines. But you have to use a different distributor cap and I didn't know about the shipping.
Ok Thank you! Another thing i found odd was the Napa part numbers listed are their "Mileage Plus" brand instead of Echlin. I worked for Napa for about 7 years and I have been in Toyota and Ford Parts for the passed 12 years, in my experience the Mileage plus stuff was usually garbage. any idea if those were listed that way for a reason? I'd rather not have to replace things twice if I don't have to lol

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I don't care what brand they have on the reman distributor, they all seem to originate from Cardone. I have had several bad rebuilds from them, but they seem to be the only game in town. They are out of stock on the older 2.8 distributors, so that's why everywhere you go everyone has "not available".

Hale Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't pay attention, you will pay someone else
I'm sure this has been asked many many times..
Just bought an 84 Ranger 2.8L 3spd Auto 4x4
She runs rich. The previous owner was planning to do the duraspark conversion and collected some of the parts for it, but was unsuccessful in finding a distributor. I work in parts at a Ford dealership so I have been digging deep into this one. When I look up the cardone distributor it says it fits the 84 ranger?? The oem part# does not cross to the same cardone part# so I have my doubts. I guess what I am asking is will the OEM distributor work on the old 84 for the rest of the conversion? I'm used to the newer Fords so the carbureted world is bit foreign to me. My parts catalog barely goes back to 1980 so i'm lucky if I can get part numbers for anything 1980-1995ish.
Should I look for a used pinto distributor?
Try contacting Cardone again. Remind Lisa of the extra effort she went to for a guy in Tulsa OK.
She got a small run of the distributor you want and sent one thru Advance Auto.

HaleRanger

Lisa

Customer Service Manager | Cardone Industries

Phone: 800-777-4780

NikNak342

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try contacting Cardone again. Remind Lisa of the extra effort she went to for a guy in Tulsa OK.
She got a small run of the distributor you want and sent one thru Advance Auto.

HaleRanger

Lisa

Customer Service Manager | Cardone Industries

Phone: 800-777-4780
I just saw this reply. I ended up finding a Cardone out of Florida but that is some useful info! Maybe if they get enough people to push for them they can start buidling some? We got ProCircuit to do that with some exhaust pipes on some old Hondas lol, I'm guessing they don't have cores to rebuild though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals