• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 clutch and other ?'s

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking about doing the clutch myself; was quoted a price of 400 bucks for Cottmans to do a clutch, slave, master and rear main seal if I buy all the parts I want thrown in. Replace flywheel while there - don't think I'll need to but I've got to take it off to replace that seal anyway.

Seems like a fair price, but I can do it myself it'll just be a learning experience not to mention in my driveway.

Trying to work up the courage to do it this spring - clutch isn't bad yet but its at the top of let out and when I was driving it up a hill running late I had a "jump" like it slipped for a second - could just be the blowby out of the rear main seal - it only did it 2x and both times I was in her hard in OD (trying to get to the woods on a cold day)...so it got me looking at clutches. I want to do it myself so I can fix the sloppy shifter while I'm there - found a dealer that will sell me the part (locals don't stock it).

Any best practices, need to do while I'm there or things to avoid?

Also, does anyone know or have a diagram for the transfer case - there's a nipple that looks like a line was missing (the line was ripped and I put it back on with a zip tie for now)?

And I can go ahead and fix that muffler that has more holes in it than swiss cheese while I'm under it (right past the cat converter it has a crack or 2 as well that someone tried to patch up but not too good).

Last questions (for today) - fluids for the front Dana 28 and rear end - what do y'all recommend? I don't think they've ever been changed. Do the transfer cases need fluids changed as well?

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Replace everything while your in there I cluding the flywheel or get it turned.

That nipple is just a breather hose.

Axles- 80w-90
Tcase- atf

Have a friend help you with the lifting. It will make everything 10x easier.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Put a new input shaft seal on the tranny also just for giggles while you have it apart there is a good video on how to properly bench bleed the clutch master cylinder also wouldnt hurt to make it all new. I believe all you need is new O-rings for the hydraulic line end quick disconnect. I`m sure someone here knows for sure. You will need to support the back of the motor when you unbolt the tranny transfer mounts maybe pull the dizzy so you can drop it down some to work with the bell housing bolts just line the rotor so it is pointing strait at the firewall for ease of installation. GL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals