• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3l Swap Into a Willys Radiator Size

dasophoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I'm swapping a 2.3l into a 1951 Willys CJ3a, and if you've ever seen under the hood of one you know that space is a major issue. I'm wondering what the minimum size radiator core I could run and still keep the engine cool is. I found a radiator for a honda civic that is 13.58x13.58 but I'm not sure if that has enough to keep the engine cool. Here's a link to the radiator if that helps, here. If anyone has seen this swap done before and have radiator ideas I would really appreciate it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume thats a single core, and it should be fine if using an E-fan, not mechanical fan

The 2.3l Lima does not generate alot of heat, people up north need to put card board in front of the radiator in the winter to keep the heater in the cab working, lol

E-fans are better for off-road as well, better cooling at low engine RPMs, and you can shut them off if you do a water crossing so you don't SOAK the engine bay with water spray

Just looked at the link.....................yes, that will be more than fine (y)

dasophoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I assume thats a single core, and it should be fine if using an E-fan, not mechanical fan

The 2.3l Lima does not generate alot of heat, people up north need to put card board in front of the radiator in the winter to keep the heater in the cab working, lol

E-fans are better for off-road as well, better cooling at low engine RPMs, and you can shut them off if you do a water crossing so you don't SOAK the engine bay with water spray

Just looked at the link.....................yes, that will be more than fine (y)
Man thank you! I have been wracking my brain looking for information and asking other guys that didn't have any experience with the 2.3l. Thats a huge help, I really appreciate it!

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
There is a youtube video about doing the 2.3>Jeep conversion. I think there is a turbo involved. It might document an appropriate radiator to spec.
tom

golley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had a 3b running with a small buick v6 in it years ago on the Willys radiator...ain't recommending it, but it worked. I believe the 3a came with the 4 cyl L head, the 3b with same in a F head...but the 3b "high hood" does have a bit more room under the hood.

If you haven't found it yet, search for "the cj3b page". There's 3a links there too. Derek's 3b site's been up over 20 years by now; 10s of thousands of posts, no tellin' how many links, all kinds of engine swaps, etc.

golley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey. btw, how's the floor in your tub? Was the floor rotted out? Those geniuses at Willys used to put wood in the body hat channel supports.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals