• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ford Ranger XLT Speedo, Odometer, shifting, and more please help

JacobMoonsMocs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
So me and my dad have been loving this site you guys have been extremely helpful so far but I cant find anything about this issue OTHER THAN the speed sensor.

Let me start in July of this year when I got the truck. Its a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT automatic v6 3.0 L. Rear wheel drive
Truck looks great and pretty nice to drive but a few issues were noticed when test driving it.

1st the Speedometer was not working (it wasnt moving at all) and as much as I would love to say " why no officer my truck always tells me im under the speed limit." I dont think it would fly over too well.

2nd tripometer and odometer dont work (Not turning)

3rd Cruise control doesn't seem to work however the buttons on the steering wheel AR in pretty rough shape

4th Overdrive light is flashing

5th Check engine light is on and the code says its the Vehicle Speed Sensor

6th the truck Automatic shifting is off either it over revs or shifts hard slinging you forward

We replaced the speed sensor as everything seems to point to it but when we did all problems continued except it shifted even harder to the point where it felt like we were getting hit in the rear

So we kept reading and said oh it must be a bad sensor so lets try another one well we tried like 3 and finally gave up went to a junkyard and pulled one from a broken down ranger and threw it in

Well basically I'm back to square one all the same issues but it doesn't shift as hard

Ok so now in August I was driving and lost all power my engine over heated and thanks to this website and all of you amazing writers we spent the last 2 months working to rebuild this truck from warped Heads and a broken head gasket

We finished the repair yesterday and it drives great other than issues listed above I Love this truck its my first car and I want to take care of it any advice would be really helpful

Thank you,
JacobMoonsMocs

JacobMoonsMocs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
If there is a better place to post this let me know
Thanks
Jacob

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Check the harness/ wiring to the speed sensor.

clear the codes, see if they come back.

Other than that, it looks like you have covered what needs to be covered. I will let the more able-minded and smarter people chime in :)

AJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I had a similar problem in my 2000 B3000, it was due to water/liquid accumulation under the driver seat.

There is a harness connection there that happens to be the lowest point there. Has to be unbolted from underneath (10mm) and dried out both from the inside of cab and under cab.

Had to use alcohol, electrical contact cleaner and hair blow drier during Texas summer to finally dry it all out. Yes, disconnect the battery!

Ray

JacobMoonsMocs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
We are thinking a wiring issue does anyone know the correct Amps and Volt readings from the rear differential speed sensor on a 1998 ford ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals