• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab 4x4

Copper6297

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello everyone,
I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. My name is Matt and this is my 1997 ford ranger. I got this from my dad who got it from my grandpa who bought it new. Both my dad and grandpa used it as a work truck and it is about wore out, so lots of plans to get it back where it needs to be.

The plan is to get it up on 33's eventually, replace/ upgrade the front end.... swap to a manual locking hub, put in a rear end from an explorer for disc brakes, and eventually rebuild or swap the engine as it is at almost 300k. The question I have is this, is the front axle a dana 28 or 35? I believe it is supposed to be a dana 35, but I can not find a tag or stamp anywhere to tell me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated so I can start tearing it down and replacing/ cleaning it up.

The truck is a 1997 ford ranger xlt ext. cab with the 4.0 v6 and automatic tranny.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Welcome aboard. I’ve got a 97 2wd, xlt, and an 87 4wd. Your questions are too Techy for me, but this is the right place. These guys know more about these trucks and what you can do to them than the Ford gods.

SmurfBlu97

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" ...ish
Tire Size
33"x10.5"R15
Having the 4.0L it *should* have the Dana 35. I'm pretty new myself to this forum but welcome aboard! As Rick stated, the guys here have forgotten more about Rangers than most of us will ever know! Awesome project you're undertaking, good looking truck!

roadrunner4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Courier
Transmission
Manual
Having the 4.0L it *should* have the Dana 35. I'm pretty new myself to this forum but welcome aboard! As Rick stated, the guys here have forgotten more about Rangers than most of us will ever know! Awesome project you're undertaking, good looking truck!
Greetings from Greenville, NC. I've got a 78' Ford courier 2.3L 4 speed-it's my project truck. Old school muscle car guy wanting to build a mini street machine. I'll be doing all the wiring and all the upholstering on the door cards, headliner, etc. Big job and challenging.

Attachments

Copper6297

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for the welcome everyone!! I am excited to get started on the build!! And you guys are correct, I have searched through the forums a bit and there is so much knowledge and information that it is almost overwhelming haha. I am sure I will be on here a lot looking for info on different projects for the ol ranger.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and best of luck on everyone's projects.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
Welcome to the club. You should be able to find out what front end you have by looking at the sticker in the door jamb. I have the original 1997 Ranger factory repair manuals from Ford if you have any questions about your truck. As you can see, I have, basically, the same truck. I'm getting ready to rebuild the whole front suspension due to an incident with a wandering Buck while going 65 mph.

Copper6297

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to the club. You should be able to find out what front end you have by looking at the sticker in the door jamb. I have the original 1997 Ranger factory repair manuals from Ford if you have any questions about your truck. As you can see, I have, basically, the same truck. I'm getting ready to rebuild the whole front suspension due to an incident with a wandering Buck while going 65 mph.
Thank you for the welcome, and I added my question to the axle segment of the forum and got the answer I was looking for. Im new to the forum thing so I have to learn to search sometimes haha. If you don't mind me asking, what lift do you have? That is exactly what I would like to be running are 33" tires.

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
4" from Suspension Connection, I'm running 33s on it. The only rubbing problem I have is due to Large Buck that bent my DS TTB .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals