• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 Mustang convertible?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
First off, I'm diehard Ford but I've never owned a Mustang before. I'm a pickup guy. I did have an '88 5.0 Thunderbird in high school but that's pretty much it for me and cars. I can pick up a pretty nice '95 with no motor for $800. This was a V6 car that was converted to a carbed 302 still using the V6 5-speed. It has what the seller says is Saleen ground effects and some sort of roll bar in the car. I have no idea but I think it looks worse than a normal GT car. The factory A/C is gone and there's wires and extra junk all under the hood from the efi V6 to carbed V8 swap. I've seen the car run and drive with the 302 that was in it and the lights, windows all that stuff worked like it should. I could pull the 302 from my Ranger and put in the Mustang. I've been trying to sell the Ranger but there's not much market for it where I live but Mustangs get passed around like the town wh**e. Since it's a V8 swapped, non-GT car does that kill any resale value? Can a convertible Mustang be made into a cool car? Are there problem areas I need to look at on the car? Does anyone have any experience with the SN-95 platform?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
This is someone's project car that they hacked to make it work... you will be fighting his re-engineering to make it work for your needs. Plus that 302 hooked to the factory v6 transmission... you know he beat on it lol

So unless the body and interior is in no less than exceptional condition, I would pass and look for a different car that you can start fresh with.

AJ

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think pound for pound the Ranger is way cooler. Certainly far more unique.

I've never been a Mustang guy...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Fox bodies were nearly ruined for me when I was living in Rhode Island.

Every single one of them was driven by people who seemed to aspire to be part of the jersey shore cast.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
If it runs like an angry donkey and the convertible top works, flash some cash and get it dirt cheap, Jersey style. Leave the top down unless its raining, and otherwise hammer it! If and when it breaks, you can scrap it or just leave it there...cheap thrills are wonderful.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My mom had a 96 GT convertible. I was not then and am not now a fan of convertibles but those era mustangs handle pretty good, way better than their fox body predecessor. They are very fun cars to drive with a massive amount of aftermarket parts and upgrades available so sky is the limit if you wanna tinker.

Couple points, It has no resale value, it's just an old mustang so if you're thinking this is gonna somehow be an investment just walk away lol. The things are a dime a dozen even in good condition let alone one that's been all hacked up. Its worth nothing now and never will be. If your buying it for a toy though, go for it.

The convertibles weigh more than the hard tops so they are less desirable to most people and they are prone to leak so check the interior carefully especially the floors and down in the top storage compartment behind the seats. Not uncommon to see floors rusted out from being constantly wet.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Fox bodies were nearly ruined for me when I was living in Rhode Island.

Every single one of them was driven by people who seemed to aspire to be part of the jersey shore cast.
A 95 is a fox chassis but not a fox body. :icon_thumby:

Benny's (jersey shore idiots) drive fox bodies...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Shows how much I know about mustangs lol.

Don't buy that thing. Yuck.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
My mom had a 96 GT convertible. I was not then and am not now a fan of convertibles but those era mustangs handle pretty good, way better than their fox body predecessor. They are very fun cars to drive with a massive amount of aftermarket parts and upgrades available so sky is the limit if you wanna tinker.

Couple points, It has no resale value, it's just an old mustang so if you're thinking this is gonna somehow be an investment just walk away lol. The things are a dime a dozen even in good condition let alone one that's been all hacked up. Its worth nothing now and never will be. If your buying it for a toy though, go for it.

The convertibles weigh more than the hard tops so they are less desirable to most people and they are prone to leak so check the interior carefully especially the floors and down in the top storage compartment behind the seats. Not uncommon to see floors rusted out from being constantly wet.
I was hoping it would have some value and be easier to sell than my Ranger. If it was a hardtop or a car I was really into I might go for it. I have a hard time seeing myself in a red convertible. This might not be the car for me.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
If it runs like an angry donkey and the convertible top works, flash some cash and get it dirt cheap, Jersey style. Leave the top down unless its raining, and otherwise hammer it! If and when it breaks, you can scrap it or just leave it there...cheap thrills are wonderful.
That's another concern of mine is power. My 302 runs pretty good in the Ranger but a convertible Mustang probably has 800lbs on it. Plus I think the car has some junk rear gear like a 3.08.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

‘95 is an SN95 chassis... it’s a slightly updated version of the FOX chassis.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I went back and looked the car over real good. I couldn't get under the car but from what I could see and feel the floorpans a rockers are in good shape. It has a fiberglass cowl hood that the clear coat is peeling off of. The only Saleen part I found was the roll bar. The front bumper cover is a Cobra. The rear is a plain GT and the side skirts say Roush and have cutouts for side exit exhaust. Those may be worth money. All 4 wheels have Cobra center caps and look like Cobras but they're 17s up front and 18s in the rear. The kicker is he kept the high end return style fuel regulator, the MSD box, flywheel, headers and the whole exhaust is gone. I had to pass. I think maybe I could make a little money on parts but I don't have time to sit on it and have a Mustang hull piled in the yard.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You’re looking at someone else’s headache they are looking to get rid of. I would hard pass.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals