• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1994 2.3 L turbo

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
and megasquirt is a lot of fun to build and if you are decent on a computer, you can use it.

i built one for my bmw to turbo and it worked great on the simulator but i couldn't get the car to run. i gave up after a few months and another guy got it from me and plugged it into his volvo and it started immediately. this is back when ms2 was new though so the systems have come along way since then.

totally worth it just for the build experience though.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Have to do maf...and a few others, but maf should not apply....and incorporate map sensor. ...but idle speed and tps are same...

94 2.3 should just use 58 and 59 for injectors. There are things like power steering psi ect that are not on the stang harness for a 5.0.

If I remember right...the 88 mustang 2.3 harness would be direct....it's tfi iirc.

Bottom line . .it is easy adaptable with minimum pin swapping. Depending on Ms side....maybe none ..
Do i need to change to a MAP sensor? As stated in this post i want to run turbo and have heard MAFs work better for a turbo system.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Do i need to change to a MAP sensor? As stated in this post i want to run turbo and have heard MAFs work better for a turbo system.
Mmm I'd say a map works better. It's at least more convenient.

My previous turbo vehicle used a MAF, and any changes to its downpipe/Intake required a tune after. Vehicles that use a MAP can have such things changed and not need to mess with the tune at all.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Megasquirt is a good option.

Listen to Bobby. Ranger uses a stoopid similar pinout to mustang.

I think its something like veryuseful.com that shows the pinouts.

A scrap eec-iv can be had on the cheap. Desolder the connecter and wire a ms directly to it.

Or find a megasquirt plug and play for an eec-iv mustang on fleabay.

Have one on my 1988. Best automotive upgrade on the market.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Mmm I'd say a map works better. It's at least more convenient.

My previous turbo vehicle used a MAF, and any changes to its downpipe/Intake required a tune after. Vehicles that use a MAP can have such things changed and not need to mess with the tune at all.
Megasquirt let's you run either, both, or none at all if you're really really brave.

MAF is more accurate. MAP is moar better. You need to re-tune with both, generally speaking, but MAP is easier.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Megasquirt let's you run either, both, or none at all if you're really really brave.

MAF is more accurate. MAP is moar better. You need to re-tune with both, generally speaking, but MAP is easier.
ok, i'll keep that in mind, i dont know how hard it is to install a map sensor as my engine doesn't currently have one obviously.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
MAP sensors are way easier to install in a random setup, they literally need to be somewhere just past the throttle body, depending on the sensor used it can even be on a random vacuum hose port...

I'm a fan of speed density, MAF doesn't scare me but is more complicated, the type that just uses engine speed and TPS (don't remember what it's called) sounds useless in most applications other than certain marine applications where the engine only has one speed and load at every engine speed... but everything has it's place, almost everyone in the aftermarket tunes for speed density (MAP)

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
MAP sensors are way easier to install in a random setup, they literally need to be somewhere just past the throttle body, depending on the sensor used it can even be on a random vacuum hose port...

I'm a fan of speed density, MAF doesn't scare me but is more complicated, the type that just uses engine speed and TPS (don't remember what it's called) sounds useless in most applications other than certain marine applications where the engine only has one speed and load at every engine speed... but everything has it's place, almost everyone in the aftermarket tunes for speed density (MAP)
ok, i can't seem to find anything good online about how to install them, if you could just take it off of the vacuum tree then that would be beyond easy.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
ok, i can't seem to find anything good online about how to install them, if you could just take it off of the vacuum tree then that would be beyond easy.
You can with a MS. I have a gm 3 bar on my 1988 that I pulled off of a Pontiac.

He'll, half of my sensors are either GM or Volvo. I have an infinity MAF on the shelf for when I get the motor back together to learn how to do blended MAP/MAF.

Read up on MS. They turn a junkyard into a Golden Corral buffet for your engine.

Nytfury

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
You can with a MS. I have a gm 3 bar on my 1988 that I pulled off of a Pontiac.

He'll, half of my sensors are either GM or Volvo. I have an infinity MAF on the shelf for when I get the motor back together to learn how to do blended MAP/MAF.

Read up on MS. They turn a junkyard into a Golden Corral buffet for your engine.
New map sensors are only like 20-30$ so i think i'll probably just buy a new one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals