• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 ford ranger wont start

awsskater4life76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1993 ford ranger and last week i was on my home from work and in the middle of traffic it just turned off so i pushed it off the road went and put 5 gallons of gas when fueling i noticed gas poruing out of the filler hose it had a crack in it so pushed it home droped the tank when i was pulling the lines off i broke off the fuel sending unit line going into the gas lines. so now i replaced the filler neck and sending unit and now i hear the fuel pump working and it cranks over but doesnt start any ideas anyone?

awsskater4life76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
engine specs

2.3l 4 cylinder 5 speed 150000 miles tryed starting the battery, oil, abs, seatbelt, engine, light was on now just the oil, abs, seatbelt light just come on

DarkMax

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Theres an emergency fuel shutoff in the 93 ranger, you can see the sticker when you lift the hood. Try and go though the process of resetting it and see if it helps. Also, with the key on, check the schrader valve to make sure you have adequate fuel pressure coming through the fuel lines. Next id check spark and then compression, if all of these are fine then the truck should start right up.

awsskater4life76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
where is the schrader valve at and to check it does fuel come out when started or do i need a pressure gauge?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Theres an emergency fuel shutoff in the 93 ranger, you can see the sticker when you lift the hood. Try and go though the process of resetting it and see if it helps. Also, with the key on, check the schrader valve to make sure you have adequate fuel pressure coming through the fuel lines. Next id check spark and then compression, if all of these are fine then the truck should start right up.
The emergency fuel shut off is electrical. If the pump is kicking on, then the shut off isn't tripped.

If there is pressure at the rail, fuel will spray everywhere when you press the schrader valve. I usually get a small screwdriver or something positioned and wrap a rag around and just hit it real quick. If the rag soaks fast, then there's pressure. If pretty much nothing happens, there is no pressure.

awsskater4life76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
i replaced the filler neck, sending unit, fuel filter and it still didnt turn over so i checked the shrader valve still has pressure and i can hear the pump kick on the emergency shut off is not triggered and the tank reads half full and the batterys good any ideas guys?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i replaced the filler neck, sending unit, fuel filter and it still didnt turn over so i checked the shrader valve still has pressure and i can hear the pump kick on the emergency shut off is not triggered and the tank reads half full and the batterys good any ideas guys?
You said " it still didnt turn over" Did you mean it still will not start?

awsskater4life76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
the starter cranks but it still wont start

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bet your timing belt broke

awsskater4life76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
i checked the fuses and the coil pack and sparg plugs all good. the spark plug smelt like gas. it didnt fire up with starter fluid. and it has a vacuum. maybe the injectors?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You know the timing belt is different then the drive pulley belts(serpentine bely)the timing belt is behind a cover near the waterpump. I wonder if the belt skipped a tooth. If the timing is correct and you had a spark. Starter fluid should have done something

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wait, you said the oil lights on? Check your oil level, it wouldn't keep you from starting but it would severely mess up your engine if you did.

IIRC the oil light comes on when your about two quarts low. Trust me, I know.

And have you done anything to the spark plug wires, distributor cap, or the little rotary thing lately? If you have you might have messed up your timing. You HAVE to start the timing with the first wire in the location of where the little rotating thing under the cap is. I'd tell you what the timing is supposed to be but my Rangers a V6, and I don't know the 4 cylinders that well.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the little rotating thing under the cap is called a rotor but he should not have one on his 93. he should have electronic distruberless ignition. I think he has a timing issue. imho, if not the belt can the crankshaft position sensor get so damaged to screw up the timing.
Have your tried to pull any codes?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals