• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ranger still not right

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why when I plug in my Pro Link computer to test KOEO or KOER does it idle and it’s not burning rich? Most parts have been replaced with Motorcraft parts .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
???

Re-write please, I am sure there is a question in there just don't see it
And 1992 Ranger with what??
2.3l, 2.9l, 3.0l, 4.0l?

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why when I plug in my Pro Link computer to test KOEO or KOER does it idle and it’s not burning rich? Most parts have been replaced with Motorcraft parts .
It’s a 1990 2.9 . Why when I plug in my Pro Link computer does it quit burning rich and idles. What does the Pro Link take control over that would correct the problem while plugged in? There is the normal click sound and goes to high idle for testing when testing. No codes to affect running with Ko or running.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The reader just puts the computer in test mode. Among other things the biggest change is it locks the timing to 20 degrees BTDC. Have you ever checked the timing with a light?

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes , twice 10 without plug in 20 or so with it back in reeved up.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So if it puts the computer in test mode , is my computer now controlling it?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I assume you are talking about the SPOUT plug when checking the timing?

If the engine is running, the computer is controlling it. It's just in a different mode when the code reader is plugged in. You could try and unplug the oxygen sensor and see if that helps the rich condition go away.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I’ll try that. I use a computer that does all vehicles from early 80 till I guess mid 90. There’s a half dozen test you can do with them. It’s antique like me.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I think we are getting confused on the term "computer". You have a computer in the truck that runs the engine. Your tester if it has a computer, is only for the readout and functions of the tester. The computer in the tester never has anything to do with the older Ford ECM's. The tester puts the Ford ECM in test mode, and any codes generated are generated by the Ford ECM, the tester is just reading them.

In other words, all you need is a jumper and a testlight and you can do anything that your tester can do. All you are doing is reading out what the Ford computer has to say. These are the old EECIV Ford computer systems, there is no talking to it and scanning it like the newer ECM's.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can’t do a wiggle test , set timing , and several other test with a tester. This a MPSI pro link . It has Carthage’s you change in order to do other vehicles .On GM I get just about all the readings on sensors voltage temperature and so on . Bought this about 30 years ago when my two daughters wanted early model Camaros. I have code readers. Unfortunately Ford wouldn’t allow all these readings on this computer.

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is what this Computer is capable of doing. I know of no code reader that can . Engine runs fine when it’s plugged in , no codes. Engine is burning super rich and running bad when unplugged ??

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You can do all that with a testlight or a analog meter with a needle on it. Your tester probably does actually do some things with a older GM or Chrysler, but not on the Ford. It's just a glorified testlight itself when it comes to the old Fords. Your tester is easier since it does all the jumper sequences for you, but it can all be done with a regular testlight.

This is how you enter the wiggle test for example;

First thing to do is clear the memory codes. To do this, enter the KOEO test, and when the first memory code comes up, pull the jumper wire off the connectors and then turn the key off. The memory codes will be cleared.

To then enter the wiggle test, do the KOEO retrieval again Immediately after the last code is received, disconnect the jumper wire and then reconnect it At this point the testlight will be off, and then you can pull and twist the wiring or tap on the devices. Watch the testlight while doing this, if it suddenly lights when you are testing, you have found a open, short, or ground problem.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Leave it plugged in or swap computer, there was never a test for an engine computer, still isn't, its basically a "no serviceable parts inside" device
You can change capacitors but thats about it

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Leave it plugged in or swap computer, there was never a test for an engine computer, still isn't, its basically a "no serviceable parts inside" device
You can change capacitors but thats about it
That’s what my one grandson said , put it under the seat and drive it😂😂

2 bronco 11s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 11
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The wiggle test is fairly with this , it has a beeper that goes off if you find a problem. I have all the manuals on this still . Haven’t had this computer out in about 28 years . Works great on Gm and Mopar . To bad Ford has to hide everything .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals