• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 Ranger XLT, 2.3l, 5 speed man., ECM needed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
Can anyone recommend somewhere good I can get a reman. ECM or get mine rebuilt? So far I have found nothing but a bunch of Jack-legs. I can't seem to find anywhere reputable. Just about all the part stores sell Cardone remans., I can't find one single positive review of Cardone units. I have checked several websites that sound good but when I do search for reviews of the company most of them have very bad reviews. HELP!!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Do you have a MAP sensor (a sensor just above the heater box in the cowl with a small hose going to it) or a MAF sensor? Ford changed mid model year from speed density to MAF. If you have a MAP, I "think" I still have the stock computer from my '90 sitting around, I know where it would be, I'll check tonight...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a MAP sensor (a sensor just above the heater box in the cowl with a small hose going to it) or a MAF sensor? Ford changed mid model year from speed density to MAF. If you have a MAP, I "think" I still have the stock computer from my '90 sitting around, I know where it would be, I'll check tonight...
I have a MAF mounted on my air filter box, nothing on the cowl

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If i find one at a junkyard ill grab it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
If i find one at a junkyard ill grab it.
I appreciate it "Rusty" but don't worry about it, I found a reman on Ebay I think I'll try. I thought about the junkyard route myself but then I wondered... how do I know if it's any better than the one I have?, the one on ebay has the right numbers, I just wonder if it has Calif. emissions or not, or if it makes any difference. I can't find a website anywhere that breaks down the numbers so I can tell if this (or any) unit is exactly like mine. It's kinda like throwing a dart at a map. This computer stuff is super confusing to me. Thanx for you time and your response. Guess I'll just close my eyes and "go for it".

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Probably be hard to find many good reviews on any replacement ECMs/PCMs, lol

Reasons being people only go to the effort of reviewing anything if they are mad/disappointed

And in the case of PCMs its a DIY project so................new PCM doesn't solve the problem it MUST BE the new PCMs fault
Its like having a misfire and replacing all spark plugs and then having the same misfire with the new spark plugs, "Must be defective spark plugs, I will write a bad review"

Being that there is only ONE WAY to test a PCM, in the vehicle it was program for, all a rebuilder can do is to replace common failure points, the capacitors, clean the circuit board and connector pins, and send it off

So a used PCM could have any number of problems that wouldn't show up on any "bench tests", but would show up when in use in a vehicle

A rebuilt PCM is the same gamble as a used one from wrecking yard
But hopefully the a rebuild will offer a free exchange, ONE TIME, if the rebuilt one doesn't work
Wrecking yards may offer that but usually not on electronic parts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
Probably be hard to find many good reviews on any replacement ECMs/PCMs, lol

Reasons being people only go to the effort of reviewing anything if they are mad/disappointed

And in the case of PCMs its a DIY project so................new PCM doesn't solve the problem it MUST BE the new PCMs fault
Its like having a misfire and replacing all spark plugs and then having the same misfire with the new spark plugs, "Must be defective spark plugs, I will write a bad review"

Being that there is only ONE WAY to test a PCM, in the vehicle it was program for, all a rebuilder can do is to replace common failure points, the capacitors, clean the circuit board and connector pins, and send it off

So a used PCM could have any number of problems that wouldn't show up on any "bench tests", but would show up when in use in a vehicle

A rebuilt PCM is the same gamble as a used one from wrecking yard
But hopefully the a rebuild will offer a free exchange, ONE TIME, if the rebuilt one doesn't work
Wrecking yards may offer that but usually not on electronic parts
Yeah, but whatcha gonna do? It's pretty much a Catch 22 situation with large side order of "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't"

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That was the point, if you want to try a different PCM then you need to get a different PCM

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't think there are many options for program, if I had to guess the ones with a MAF would be cali models more likely, the only other oddity is auto trans versions didn't always have EGR... but I haven't heard of any manual trucks without EGR so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
I don't think there are many options for program, if I had to guess the ones with a MAF would be cali models more likely, the only other oddity is auto trans versions didn't always have EGR... but I haven't heard of any manual trucks without EGR so I wouldn't worry too much about it
Ok thanx, that eases my mind a good bit. I'm gonna get one and hope for the best. I really appreciate your reply and the info. Have a good one man and thanx again. Loonasea

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals