• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 Ranger 2.3L A/C replacement

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
hello, I have got a 1990 Ranger 2.3 liter and I need to replace the air conditioner compressor, I want to replace pretty much the whole system except for the lines. I've been online looking and I can't find anything listed for a 2.3, does anyone know why an air conditioner compressor for a 2.9 liter would not fit the 2.3? Also, can anyone recommend a good brand? I will greatly appreciate any information you can give me. P.S., My old system was an R12 system, is there anything special I need to do while retro fitting?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Rockauto has the FS10 compressors for your truck.

Depending on what is wrong with it, there is really no need to replace everything. You will find new components can be more problems than keeping the old. If your old compressor had a catastrophic failure (locked up) then it would be a good idea to replace the condenser coil in front of the radiator. Rockuto has those also. With a catastrophic failure, you will also need to replace the orifice and flush the lines with solvent. The orifice screen will keep most of the junk out of the coil in the dash (evaporator coil).

No matter what happened, if you are replacing the compressor, you also need to replace the receiver/dryer. Most companies require this for a compressor warranty.

For the conversion, just go to Walmart or somewhere and buy the conversion kit. It will have the conversion fittings, and the conversion gas/oil mix. The conversion kit will use ester oil, which is compatible with the old r12 in case you do not get all the old oil out. PAG oil is not compatible with the old r12 oil. Stick the conversion kit in there after pulling a vacuum on the system, and you should be good to go if you do not have any leaks.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual

Depending on what is wrong with it, there is really no need to replace everything. You will find new components can be more problems than keeping the old. If your old compressor had a catastrophic failure (locked up) then it would be a good idea to replace the condenser coil in front of the radiator. Rockuto has those also. With a catastrophic failure, you will also need to replace the orifice and flush the lines with solvent. The orifice screen will keep most of the junk out of the coil in the dash (evaporator coil).

No matter what happened, if you are replacing the compressor, you also need to replace the receiver/dryer. Most companies require this for a compressor warranty.

For the conversion, just go to Walmart or somewhere and buy the conversion kit. It will have the conversion fittings, and the conversion gas/oil mix. The conversion kit will use ester oil, which is compatible with the old r12 in case you do not get all the old oil out. PAG oil is not compatible with the old r12 oil. Stick the conversion kit in there after pulling a vacuum on the system, and you should be good to go if you do not have any leaks.

1st I wanna thank you for your reply, and no I didn't have a catastrophic failure because It did not lock up. The truck sat for a couple of years while being worked on and while I had some health problems. After I got the truck running for the first time there was a puddle of yellow oil below the compressor. Now can I replace the seals in the compressor or should I go ahead and replace it? I had planned on replacing the orifice and the dryer/receiver just because they had sat for so long. My plan was to replace the compressor, dryer and orifice and then take it to someone that could do a flush and fill as I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do all that stuff. What so you think?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
" My plan was to replace the compressor, dryer and orifice and then take it to someone that could do a flush and fill as I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do all that stuff. What so you think? "

That's OK for a plan. I would consider it a "bare minimum" approach, as it sounds like he compressor just lost it's seal, and didn't grenade.

I think that you have a good chance of getting the air working again, just going this route. Look at the old orifice when you remove it; if it's clean, great, but if it's really gunky or has particles on the screen, then that's the time to revaluate if the system needs more parts or service (like flushing).

Just be aware, after you install those parts you'll be needing a "vacuum evacuation and a recharge fill". "Flushing" is blowing a cleaning agent through each system component. Evacuating is pulling a vacuum on the system to remove all of the moisture.

Don't uncap the new drier until you put it on, and don't leave it open longer than you have to. Do the compressor first, then the drier.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER XLT
Transmission
Manual
" My plan was to replace the compressor, dryer and orifice and then take it to someone that could do a flush and fill as I don't have the equipment or knowledge to do all that stuff. What so you think? "

That's OK for a plan. I would consider it a "bare minimum" approach, as it sounds like he compressor just lost it's seal, and didn't grenade.

I think that you have a good chance of getting the air working again, just going this route. Look at the old orifice when you remove it; if it's clean, great, but if it's really gunky or has particles on the screen, then that's the time to revaluate if the system needs more parts or service (like flushing).

Just be aware, after you install those parts you'll be needing a "vacuum evacuation and a recharge fill". "Flushing" is blowing a cleaning agent through each system component. Evacuating is pulling a vacuum on the system to remove all of the moisture.

Don't uncap the new drier until you put it on, and don't leave it open longer than you have to. Do the compressor first, then the drier.
thanks Man I appreciate your help i'm gonna give it a shot and see what happens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals