• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 Bronco II 2wd to 4wd conversion using some not so stock parts

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
ok guys , after a slight hiatus that consisted of lots of school and partying and just alot of small issues with myself and just not knowing where i am going in life and not having good plans and just being overwhelmed and on the verge of losing it i am back and better than ever and i have a new build for y'all

now most of you that have been around for a while remember some of my previous builds and where they ended/what happened/where they are now

but for those new guys here is a slight re-cap
1. 2000 Ranger 3.0 to 4.0 conversion(Molly) - Completely shitcanned , using the engine for my 97 and the frame for the Level II

2. 1997 Ranger 4.0 4x4(Linsey) - Blew up the engine and am gonna replace it

3. 2003 Ranger FX4 Level II - Wrecked bad , getting its everything swapped to the 2000 Frame

4. 1996 Explorer - Nothing happening to it , well actually right now it is getting a new trans , but nothing else major

5. 1997 F-350 - Whole lotta stuff

Projects 1 , 2 and 3 , along with this project are not getting started till next fall , see hopefully i am getting a job at Yellowstone park this summer and when i finish up there , i am gonna come home and go on unemployment , do a bunch of training with the FD and work on the projects to keep me busy , then get my CDL before applying for a custom harvest crew job

ok so here are the stats on the next project i will be starting

Year: 1990
Model: Bronco II
Engine: 2.9
Trans: M5OD
Drive: 4x2

it is originally from Louisiana , pretty clean and i am gettin it for ~$800

here is the truck itself

and here is what i plan on putting in it

the plan it to just run the fullsize axles as they are (width wise) and just put Fullsize coil buckets on and space them out to get the spring angle right

the only thing i will have to do is figure out where to get springs and what size to get after i get the skyjacker 4 inch kit , and i am gonna sell some pieces off that since i am gonna make my own Extended RA's and my own RA crossmember

so here she be , it oughta be an interesting project

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your starting to sound like me, when you walk to the garage and can spot 10+ "projects" you have problems....

welcome to the club, the b2 looks good

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
your starting to sound like me, when you walk to the garage and can spot 10+ "projects" you have problems....

welcome to the club, the b2 looks good
thanks Jon , and i am actually downsizing in the project department , getting rid of the 2 Oldsmobiles , the 83 Chevy and the Subaru

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thats awesome, and you are probably just going to want leveling coils for a 4" lift. because stock f150 coils are around 3" higher than stock rbv coils in general

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
sweet b2, sweet plans brother. keep us updated!

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
thats awesome, and you are probably just going to want leveling coils for a 4" lift. because stock f150 coils are around 3" higher than stock rbv coils in general
Thanks for the info Boggin

sweet b2, sweet plans brother. keep us updated!
Thanks man , it is gonna be a long comin project , but it will get done

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
all projects are long coming projects..
my original plan was just a 3 inch body lift and 31's.. i've ended up with explorer 4.0, trans, t/case, custom paint, bumper(finished fab today); soon to be 8.8, d30 sas, rear bumper... so on. lol. i won't clutter up your thread with my b2 tho, check out my sig.

projects are always a domino effect... be prepared. lol

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
right now i am at the basic pricing stage of the whole thing , my goal is to clear 33's on it , i am trying to figure out what to run for suspension and how to set it up to run the Full-Width axles under the truck without modifying the axles. The other thing i am trying to figure out is whether or not i will need drop brackets for the axles or if because of them being fullsize axles they will give me the needed lift in the front. It's just the little things i am working with that i am not used to having to figure out , but i will get it eventually , i think this is going to be one of them trial and error , test fit to see if it works then modify if needed style projects.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
When I do stuff like that, a lot of times I use the stock stuff for a base line.. I'd say use the stock full width axle brackets and some leveling coils for the axle.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
right now i am at the basic pricing stage of the whole thing , my goal is to clear 33's on it , i am trying to figure out what to run for suspension and how to set it up to run the Full-Width axles under the truck without modifying the axles. The other thing i am trying to figure out is whether or not i will need drop brackets for the axles or if because of them being fullsize axles they will give me the needed lift in the front. It's just the little things i am working with that i am not used to having to figure out , but i will get it eventually , i think this is going to be one of them trial and error , test fit to see if it works then modify if needed style projects.
Fawk 33's, minimum 35's with that batch! As for springs, use EB coils to get the height and some half decent suspension movement. F-150 will be TOO STIFF. :shok:
Clean looking little BII... hack it up. :headbang:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Fawk 33's, minimum 35's with that batch! As for springs, use EB coils to get the height and some half decent suspension movement. F-150 will be TOO STIFF. :shok:
Clean looking little BII... hack it up. :headbang:
i was thinking 35's at first , but not sure how to go with the suspension design , if i go with the 35's will i need the drop brackets ? what about Extended RA's ? and what will i do about drive shafts ? just alot of questions i gotta figure out before starting this project , so far the most solid decision i have made is that it is getting , Cragar Wheels , Superwinch Lockouts , Moser Axle Shafts and a Detroit for the front (currently has a Trac-lok rear that i can live with for now) , and it will get a snorkel , lights and probably a winch

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i think you will need the drop brackets same length as you would for ttb. and x2 on early bronco springs. i have a friend who put will width straight axles in his 92 ranger from a 79 bronco and he used 4" lift springs for a 79 bronco, she is stiff and around 6-7" of lift. he also never spaced out the coil buckets, just used the bronco coil buckets and bolted em right back on the frame and his coils arent leaned in a whole lot

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i think you will need the drop brackets same length as you would for ttb. and x2 on early bronco springs. i have a friend who put will width straight axles in his 92 ranger from a 79 bronco and he used 4" lift springs for a 79 bronco, she is stiff and around 6-7" of lift. he also never spaced out the coil buckets, just used the bronco coil buckets and bolted em right back on the frame and his coils arent leaned in a whole lot
yea , the plan is to space the FS Bronco buckets off the frame so i dont get the Coil Spring Gangsta lean haha

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
For drivesahft in the rear, use an Explorer front shaft (PM for explanation if you want it, long and drawn out) to get the double cardan. Do research on a cut and turn for the D44, will get you 4" lift with no drop bracket on the beam easy. Other thing though, CopyKat has been making D44 TTB brackets that bolt into the stock locations on RBV's, but are the right width to fit the bushing end of the 44 into them Beefy as all get out too. He makes them in 2.5" drop I think, so you can run a cut and turn set of beams and say... 6" lift coils and it will align very easily. If all you plan on running is 33's, you will NOT need the Moser shafts. Heck, even 35's will be good with stock shafts. I'm running 35's on my BII and have no problems. The D35 and D44 TTB share axle u-joints so 35's will last just fine on stock shafts with tacked caps. For a front driveshaft, IIRC the pinion flange on those is the same as a D35. I may be wrong, but I **think** you can run a stock Explorer shaft. Depending on the length of the D44 third member, you may be able to mix and match different factory driveshaft parts. Again, PM for the long drawn out explanation if you want. That is an 8.8, yeah? The pinion flange should be the same as an Expo one. Again, feel free to shoot off a PM!

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
copykat stopped makin those drop brackets,, i wanted a set too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals