• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2WD M50D-R1 - 5th and Reverse shot- need to replace- sources?

geocrasher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend with his 1990 2wd Ranger with the 2.3L fuel injected engine. I checked the Transmission code on the door tag, its the M code, Mazda M50D-R1 from what I can tell on this site.

The truck is in decent shape, only has 95K miles, but the transmission is fairly shot. Fifth and Reverse are gone. The rest are noisy and the transmission gets hot on longer drives, enough to be noticeable and starts whining. He drives it around town for now.

So, we have been looking at parts yards locally (Reno NV area) and they are asking if its a 1, 2 or 3 wire transmission? Not sure how to answer on that. Also, I'm a bit concerned about putting some unknown used transmission in his truck, as I don't want him to have the same issue a few thousand miles down the road.

Are there any known good sources of these? Should he just have his rebuilt? Thanks for any and all help, even pointers on what to search for.

For background, I know how to replace transmissions etc, having done a few clutches and what not. Fairly confident I can do this job, just need to find the trans. Thanks :)

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get a exchange transmission. it should be reconditioned to standards (the standards of the rebuilder)… less work to get the truck running. use truck info including it's serial number and head to a auto parts store or major transmission shop..

be sure to add a transmission cooler in front of the radiator after installing the rebuilt transmission to help make it last...

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
be sure to add a transmission cooler in front of the radiator after installing the rebuilt transmission to help make it last...
Its a manual transmission. No tranny cooler. Not on the rangers anyways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals