• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ranger Transfer Case Motor?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You are mistaken there sir, it will engage while going down the road, up to 55 MPH by the manual, possibly more if one should choose. I would not care to lock in a manual at 55
That's just 4-hi. For low range you need to come to a stop.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are mistaken there sir, it will engage while going down the road, up to 55 MPH by the manual, possibly more if one should choose. I would not care to lock in a manual at 55
That is to shift back and forth between 2wd and 4x4 high, you can do the same with a manual transfer case.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I stand corrected fellas :) Wasn't picking up on that low range bit. I don't guess I've ever attempted going into low on the move. If it's that steep I'd have to wonder if it's worth the risk of it jumping out halfway up

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'll take mine out of low range while moving but haven't gone into low range while moving, I'm usually in sand and you either need it or not so more common to go out of low on the move than in... That's one advantage of a manual trans, less arms needed, easy to put your left foot down, not so easy to put the column shift in neutral then push the lever forward then back in gear...

No, it all depends on what you are doing, I have a 4 cylinder wheeling so I'm just in 4 low a lot since I don't have torque, it's just like downshifting your transmission, but when you're in first there's only one way to downshift from there... going slow is needed to get through some things either from needing power or to be less bumpy or get your tires where you need to...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know that's right. I went through the woods here a few months ago for the 1st time in several years and it was full of cow tracks and it was all I could do to stand it idling in low 1st and that with a foot on the brake. Also I worried it could bust a shock or maybe something worse. Dry summertime here it's tough as cement and when it's good and soaked as it is now you just better stay out of it
Soon as I get a chance it needs a good front end inspection and possibly most of it replaced

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You should really try driving faster through stuff, the TTB really takes it up, if there's nothing that is going to hurt the tires, faster is almost always smoother... that's what shocks are for, the old school speed bumps are much smoother at speed than going slow, those new big ones not so much unless you have a better suspension than my '97 4x2 has and you'd have to be going faster than parking lot speeds... when my '90 is riding the best on rough stuff my buddies say it looks broken :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals