• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9 won't start

pianoman2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am putting a 1989 Ranger with 2.9 V-6 back together for a friend after it sat for about ten years.

I had to install a new fuel pump and clean the tank and lines. The fuel rail was open during that ten years, and quite possibly have what I affectionately call dirt daubers nest in it. However, by using my fuel pressure tester, I get 40 lbs when the pump primes up, and the flow looks clear.

I'm not sure I'm getting a fuel injector pusle. I have tried the test light, and one lead from the injector is bright, the other faintly blinks when cranking.

If I spray a little gas into the throttle body, the truck will start right up, run until that fuel is gone, so I think the spark issue is okay.

On my scanner I get a code 86 that indicates a rich condition, yet no information is available on how to check that code down,

I'm going to try and get a noid light tomorrow to really test the injector pulse.

Could the fuel rail for the injectors be clogged that bad, or could the injectors themselves be history since the fuel was so rotten in the tank?

Help.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That code 86 is an odd one, here's what the list on another source and on this site indicated:

2.3L or 2.9L Truck - A4LD 3/4 shift solenoid - Transmissions

Are all of the connections hooked up to the transmission? Based on what I've gathered, it may be worth while to go through the process again and verify that this is the actual code that you're getting. The computer system will repeat the codes twice, so if you're getting conflicting counts there, sometimes the extra pulses that the computer outputs to show it's going into another section for instance (like CM) can be deceiving sometimes.

Can you actually hear the injectors ticking with a stethoscope or long extension against the ear? FWIW, the injectors will have +12v to them as long as the ignition switch is on. They are switched on the ground side from the computer. The system is "batch fire", which means that 3 injectors will fire each time, all injectors are controlled by 2 wires.

Edit:
Sing us a song, you're the piano man! LOL

pianoman2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That code 86 is an odd one, here's what the list on another source and on this site indicated:

2.3L or 2.9L Truck - A4LD 3/4 shift solenoid - Transmissions

Are all of the connections hooked up to the transmission? Based on what I've gathered, it may be worth while to go through the process again and verify that this is the actual code that you're getting. The computer system will repeat the codes twice, so if you're getting conflicting counts there, sometimes the extra pulses that the computer outputs to show it's going into another section for instance (like CM) can be deceiving sometimes.

Can you actually hear the injectors ticking with a stethoscope or long extension against the ear? FWIW, the injectors will have +12v to them as long as the ignition switch is on. They are switched on the ground side from the computer. The system is "batch fire", which means that 3 injectors will fire each time, all injectors are controlled by 2 wires.

Edit:
Sing us a song, you're the piano man! LOL

You don't want me singing. Can't do that after all the asthma and throat surguries.

As for the code 86, I'll double check that. I use a Snap-On scanner to retrive codes and see engine data when available. I picked up a noid light today and will check the injector pulse with it. If it checks out, then I will likely have to pull and either clean or replace the injectors. They sat for ten years with the lines open where the fuel lines connect to the fuel rail, it is possible things are simply too dirty and stopped up to wrok properly.

Thanks again.

pianoman2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Noid light does not flash when the engine is cranking, so I am not getting an injector signal. (Checked others and same result).

Snap-On scanner shows following code with this foot note :

86 0=4-3ss Fault /c=fuel at rich limit

89 Lock up solenoid fault

67 PNP or Clutch sw ckt / neutraldrive switch

Sooo, looks like I have some wiring issues to trace down.

I have also found a couple of the connectors on the drivers side fender well in poor shape, will repair these with new connectors and retry.

Any other suggestions always appreciated.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Might want to check the safety neutral switch...it has been noted more with manual trannys to be a issue.

Has a different ECM been put in?? maybe one has been swapped in from a prior owner ??? that is for a manual tranny, & if I understand correctly you're running a Auto.

as for sitting for extended period, 10 yrs, it might be wise to swap out the injectors.

pianoman2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is an automatic (A4LD) and the computer is original to the truck.

Since I get no injector pulse, and it seems the code indicates it is a stuck rich condition, figure I have a wiring issue, or a possible bad map sensor.

But the other two codes may well be a problem with a couple of wire connectors on the left fender well, seems most of these wires go down to the transmission, and they are not in very good condition.

Be a few days before I can get back onto it, will try to update what I find.

Thanks again. Gives me more to think about.

huntsman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
please, so what did ya find out?
I've a code 86, too, as well as an 89 code.
I've got terrible gas milage (9-11 mpg)
and no overdrive.....
I've replaced the vacuum modulator but still hard shifts and no OD.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals