• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger Headlights not working

skandranon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have searched the forum and not found anything that helps me. I bought my first truck ever yesterday. A 1988 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 2wd, with the 2.9 V6. I love it so far! :headbang:

Working on fixing all the minor issues typical of buying a older vehicle.

My low beams are not working. High beams work fine, as well as almost all other lights (after replacing the flasher). The only lights not working are the low beams, and the reverse lights. Turn signals, parking, brake, high beams, hazards, dash lights all work fine. Not sure of the dome lights, need a bulb I have not gotten yet.

Replaced the headlight switch, and no change. At a loss, and not sure what next. Any advice?

As a side note, my instrument console lights are way too dim. How can I make them brighter?

Thanks in advance!! :icon_twisted:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Under the hood by the drivers side there is a wire connector that is prone to being wonky. Wiggle the wires on the clip to see if any are loose. There is one for low and one for high beams...can't remember the colour code but my Haynes has wiring diagrams that show the colour.

If both lights are out on low beam then that is probably where the problem is. If it was just one side I'd say maybe the connector on the bulb itself needs cleaning or a wire is loose.

Mine went out on me last year and I ended up replacing the connector with a trailer light plug...but I also was sent a replacement harness for that and will be changing that in before too long...

skandranon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the answer. I have wiggled all the connectors I see, no change. No idea what one goes to the lights.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
IIRC the headlight switch can't take out just the low beams. Your best bets are the multi-function switch or that both the low beams are burnt out.

Do you have a volt meter? Check for power to the bulbs. Middle is ground, can't remember which side is which for high/low beam.

skandranon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
IIRC the headlight switch can't take out just the low beams. Your best bets are the multi-function switch or that both the low beams are burnt out.

Do you have a volt meter? Check for power to the bulbs. Middle is ground, can't remember which side is which for high/low beam.
I do, and I will do as you suggested and see what turns up. Thanks, will post results.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You can actually trace the wire back from the headlights...I was going to go out and have a look at mine but it is raining...

Just wiggling the wires may not produce a result...on mine the wire was in the socket but was not actually connected I had to pull them out and simply connect them together before I realized that the connector was wonked...

But the voltmeter will also tell you where the connection is not working...if you have power before the connector but not after then that is the problem...but I thought at first my problem was in the switch...and it did appear to help by simply clicking high and low beams and wiggling the lever...but they finally conked out completely which led me to tracing the wires under the hood and finding a few of them were actually on the verge of non function...

yoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Had the same problem. Turns out the contacts can get a little hot. had to heat up and push the little copper contact back into place at the headlight switch in the steering colum. will add a relay so it wont happen again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals