• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 4x4 ranger first pick-up project

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't realize it had all that yet :/ Are you going to pull the transmission?

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Are you going to pull the transmission?
yep I will pull the transmission, will probably also check the inside of the tranny and check the liquids

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have a transmission jack? I'm not sure what the FH jack costs now but it's a decent jack for a cheapie, even though I doubt it isn't cheap anymore. You might try your local stuff for sale websites to find one

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
yep transmission jacks are pretty expensive but I found an adapter for a normal jack for like 90$ so might try that

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How can you adapt a normal jack, what is a normal jack?
I think the HF is about the same price with 4 wide spaced wheels and a sturdy lifting jack with a strap

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think the HF is about the same price with 4 wide spaced wheels and a sturdy lifting jack with a strap
that's a normal jack lmao in your other reply you said FH jack which got me confused

tranny adapter so that the jack doesn't just fall off when installing or something

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would not trust the princess thing, it is installed on a simple round head jack, with narrow wheels, ever hear the term "top-heavy" ? I think you'd need to keep hold of that thing in keeping it upright and balanced.
They offer me no loot to speak of their transmission jacks, but the FH/HF whoever the **** is at least stable and offers more functions that just transmission, it is also a valuable tool to use when lifting the Transfer Case, with a simple 4x4x8" the TC is held in perfect position to bolt right up.
All of these being held from falling off by a built in strap, on a machine with wheels far enough apart to keep it from tipping, even while wrestling with alignment.

I won't touch on other options here, although that might be fun :D

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
going full redneck would also be a plausible solution lol, I'll find a solution eventually when the rain would stop pouring or have even time to work on it :/

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get you a tarp of some sort and keep it wrapped/covered up during rainy spells. When it clears up you'll be good to go :)

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Haven't thought about that but I doubt the person letting me keep it where it is would want something more to polute the view of the place haha. But When I get good enough to run and get it to my place I'll probably do that yeah.

Well for today at least I took a look at the starter and fly wheel both are good looking for being used fly wheel has slight chips missing on the teeth but all good for now. I put it back and it started right up with no noise second time got some noise and third start was horrible to hear. I read one other post about it and I'll try the solution.

One thing bothering me is the fact that the bottom bolt gets tight but if you get too tight you spin freely, yay gotta go take helicoils or make it a through hole :/

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
awesome..... 88 rangers are the best.....i could be biased about that though.

for sure the mid line transmission jack at harbor fright or amazon is a wonderful tool doing a transmission on your back...i am seriously considering the current style. i have the adapter style and its ok...but compared to the dedicated units its just better then nothing.

especially with my ranger....the damn torque converter weighs over 70 pounds by itself.. which is close to what that fm 14x style trans weighs..if you dont have a m5od...

so if your young and strong...that transmission dont weigh enough to get too crazy with 300 dollar jacks if your capable of picking up 150 pounds.... pull the t case and shifters off and get to rasslin'

a stock truck sucks because it is so tight and sometimes you need to drop the exhaust....in your case just mind the steering column connection and wires and block the body up a bit since the mounts are blown.

i am crippled up pretty good and getting old and didnt have too many issues last week when i swapped out the engine in the bronco....of course....its also not stock and easy to work on.

total fan of body lifts just for cleaning and maintenance and the inevitable trans work..

the big washers are cheap down here....

but just get some foundation/basement post shim plates off of a construction sight and fit those to repair the body mounts...those are in plenty good shape to repair.....

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's awesome Bobby, I've seen those shim plates, mostly on basement and lower levels where the posts are still mostly steel.
Bobby is an ace on most of this stuff Joe so give his posts a good look :)

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
a stock truck sucks because it is so tight and sometimes you need to drop the exhaust....in your case just mind the steering column connection and wires and block the body up a bit since the mounts are blown.

but just get some foundation/basement post shim plates off of a construction sight and fit those to repair the body mounts...those are in plenty good shape to repair.....
mine's pretty stock except for the exaust thats been amateur welded and with a cherry bomb exaust which is leaking somewhere..

for the body mounts I've found some scrap 1/8 plates at work gonna cut out some like 4" washers and turn the holes in it and if I have time weld it up. gonna have the body slightly higher should help out with the trans lol.

from what I've read on the haynes repair manual I'll pretty much have to take out lots of stuff before even touching the transmission, hoping being in the rust belt isn't going to be a problem (stuck bolts and such)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
mine's pretty stock except for the exaust thats been amateur welded and with a cherry bomb exaust which is leaking somewhere..

for the body mounts I've found some scrap 1/8 plates at work gonna cut out some like 4" washers and turn the holes in it and if I have time weld it up. gonna have the body slightly higher should help out with the trans lol.

from what I've read on the haynes repair manual I'll pretty much have to take out lots of stuff before even touching the transmission, hoping being in the rust belt isn't going to be a problem (stuck bolts and such)
When I had to drop my transmission, both sides of the exhaust had to be removed along with the transmission support, transfer case, and both driveshafts.

If you have a transmission jack with a flat base, I highly recommend making a cradle for the transmission. Dropping the transmission isn't a problem. Getting it back in with out it being held in the proper position is a bear.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
It's the stuff that snaps off...or is too rotten to fit anything on except a torch or sawzall that delays the game the most.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals