• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Ranger Air Conditioning

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1986 Ranger 4x4 with a 2.9L. I want to put air back on the vehicle and all I have is the compressor. It had factory air. I need to know what ALL I am going to have to get to make the air work again. And possibly wherre to get it at? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude - You need to post this up in the Heating and Air Conditioning forum. There's tons of info there - use the search. There's a couple of stickys that can probably answer most of your basic questions.

Mine's shot on my '88 and I think I'm going to have to replace all the lines, drier, orifice tube, get the proper compressor, put in the right oil and charge it right.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'm assuming you still have the evaporator still installed in the heater box..if not you'll need that. You'll need a condenser, accumulator, orifice tube, and all the lines to hook everything together. There should be 3 lines: one goes from the condenser to the evaporator, one goes from the accumulator to the compressor, and one goes from the compressor to the condenser. All of these things should be available at any auto parts store. They probably won't have it in stock, but they should be able to order it for you.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Did your Ranger come with it from the factory? Does your climate control knobs have the bottom for the A/C? If it did have it from the factory, make sure the wiring hook-ups are still there. There should be at least 3x hook-ups, low pressure sensor, hi pressure sensor, and compressor clutch. And lastly, rebuild the whole system with new o-rings designed for R-134a (since R-12 is ungodly expensive and R-134a is probably the route you'll go with).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals