• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1985 Ranger with a tired engine...

Sebulba

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, the Ranger we bought has either 163,000 miles on it or 263,000 miles on it. Anyway, the engine seems tired, possibly badly worn rings. The 2 back spark plugs were badly oiled up when I replaced them. This weekend they will have been in for 2 weeks and I will probably pull them and see how they look. It just seems to lack power. Granted I have never owned a ranger before, so don't have anything to judge it by. Also we are at 5,000 feet here in Albuquerque, so that does effect power.

Thinking about just putting a rebuild in it. Where would you suggest getting a rebuilt engine for this. I think it is the 2.3 Liter.

Thanks

Seb

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello all, the Ranger we bought has either 163,000 miles on it or 263,000 miles on it. Anyway, the engine seems tired, possibly badly worn rings. The 2 back spark plugs were badly oiled up when I replaced them. This weekend they will have been in for 2 weeks and I will probably pull them and see how they look. It just seems to lack power. Granted I have never owned a ranger before, so don't have anything to judge it by. Also we are at 5,000 feet here in Albuquerque, so that does effect power.

Thinking about just putting a rebuild in it. Where would you suggest getting a rebuilt engine for this. I think it is the 2.3 Liter.

Thanks

Seb
I just rebuilt mine. I kept the original engine. I installed new pistons, rings, bearings and oil pump. I also installed a remain head because mine was cracked between the valves on number 1 cylinder. Mine had 189K miles on it. The original bearings and cylinders still looked good. The main problem that I found was was a clogged oil pick up screen because of a failing oil pan gasket.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
One other thing that may help as you make your decision and get funding ready, is the “zip-tie”mod. The accelerator cable gets stretched so you can’t open the throttle effectively. So, down at the pedal, pull the slack cable though and install one or two small cable ties (zip ties) as spacers to reduce the slack. It’s not a fix for a worn out engine. But it does help you give that engine more air.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think the fuel injected 2.3L's from then were rated at around 85hp, you lose about 1% power per 1000' elevation so you'd be down about 4hp at your elevation. Combine that with Ford in the '80's putting 3.08 gears on a lot of 4 cylinder Rangers for some reason and things could seem gutless... my '97 is rated at like 112hp and has 4.10 gears and it leaves me wanting more, but it's extended cab and like 3600lb with me in it...

If it were me I would check the compression, if 150-175psi it's in fair health, if lower than 150 it could use a refresh, they're not bad to work on, if it were me I would grab a '88-94 roller cam and followers to swap from the sliding followers you have now, re ring and put new bearings in it after honing the cylinders and put in new seals and it should be good for a long time... and if you're feeling fruity check the gearing in the rear axle and if it's 3.08 move to 3.73, swapping the whole axle isn't that bad...

Old83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Thanks

Seb
Seb, If its a 2.8L V6, try replacing the cylinder head's valve seals. Older 2.8L V6's have the problem of the valve seals going out, letting oil get past the seals and quickly fouling the plugs. Maybe the 4 cylinder has this issue as well.

Symptom: Runs fine after fresh plugs, then runs bad not long after, and you look and find fouled plugs.

Relatively easy fix described on Ranger Station somewhere. Buy a fitting from Amazon and a screw down type spring compressor from Amazon. Need to apply compressed air (90 -100 psi) to each cylinder you're working on -- otherwise the valves fall into the cylinder once valve spring retainers are pulled out, which if you drop a valve in there, then you'd need to pull the heads off.

I just did this repair. The tools I used from Amazon: "Performance Tool W84005 Air Hold Fitting, 14mm/18mm" and "OTC 4573 Universal Overhead Valve Spring Compressor"

Make sure you lay clean rags out (like a surgeon doing an operation) above and below your work area, just in case you drop one of the tiny spring retainers, which is easy to do. These retainers can end up lost -- or falling into the oil gallery, and then you're sunk.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
Before you do anything perform some diagnostics. A compression check and a leak-down test can tell you a lot about the innards. You can also pull the head and have that refreshed. If that doesn't do anything for performance you will have a good cylinder head when you do the rings and bearings. Our Ranger with indeterminate mileage was way down on power and a new, uncracked, roller head restored quite a bit of get-up-and-go.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Someone who goes by Sebulba should know what to do about a stock tired motor...

81lJkB9e3JL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Can't believe @85_Ranger4x4 hasn't been in here yet 😋

Attachments

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals