• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Ford Ranger Value

GeorgiaRanger

Reaction score
I am interested in this 1985 Ford Ranger someone has up for sale, pictures attached. It's 4x4, 2.8L V6, Automatic Transmission, with 110k miles. Single owner (inherited from his uncle). He's asking for $6,500. The truck seems in very clean condition both exterior, interior, and engine bay. Mileage is also pretty low for the age. It's right up the alley of what I'm looking for, a small 1980s truck with 4x4 in clean condition. It just seems hard for me to value it at $6,500 unless it is in tip top mechanical condition. I'd be trading with him for my 2007 Nissan Frontier 4.0L V6 4x4 with 138k miles, which I personally value at a bit more than $6,500 even though the book value doesn't work out that way.

Just want to see y'all's opinions. and maybe steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Its worth 6500. Atleast up here if it runs as good as it looks.

I dont know if id trade him your truck though.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'd have no problem shelling out 6500 for that, if it's as solid as the pictures lead someone to believe.

Things damn near 40 years old.. that puts it deep into antique territory(which adds a premium) and it's definitely borders on being a collector vehicle (add some more of that premium.

If you don't ding it all up and put major miles on it.. it'll be an appreciating asset value wise.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome!

That is a sharp looking truck.

It just seems hard for me to value it at $6,500 unless it is in tip top mechanical condition.
Key things will be how well the motor starts, idles and runs; and well the transmission works.

For the '85 model, it was the last year for the 2.8 motor and the first year for the A4LD auto trans. It uses a computer for engine management but has a carburetor and uses a lot of sensors and solenoids to run everything. If it runs good, great, but if not it can be a pain to work on, and a bigger pain to find some of the parts. There is a work-around replacing the original setup, though, called Durasparking it. If the trans works good, again great, but if not it's hard to find a good rebuilder for these older transmissions.

Also make sure that the cooling system and brakes are top condition and not needing anything. For the asking price, I would also expect the air conditioning to work properly.

Not meaning to put doom and gloom on it; just be aware of these comments and pay close attention when you drive and inspect the truck. It's an absolutely sharp truck.

Truck prices are crazy these days, but it is what it is. I think the asking price is reasonable, if the truck is a good mechanically as it is cosmetically.

There is a lot of good information here on TRS, if you're wanting dig deeper into researching these early Rangers.

I hope that it's a jewel, and that it follows you home.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals