• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1973 courier/ ranger build

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't think that last 1/8" would make any difference. As far as them staying secure. I know the Toyota guys have their leafs dialed since they are so popular. Might get a better ride.
Problem with the toyota springs is the arch isn't there since I'm going with axle over spring up front like the orginal wagoneer I need that arch. I did debate it but I'll be happy with these guys and they aren't too much more money. Plus jeep guys have been thrashing jeeps forever.

Even though jeep wranglers has replaced the vw beetle for high school girls cars. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your on a budget, you can re-arch your springs with a 10 ton press. Draw the arc you want on the floor and start pressing a little every inch or so. Use a spare set to practice on. You could use a screw jack to limit the press for repeatable bends.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
If your on a budget, you can re-arch your springs with a 10 ton press. Draw the arc you want on the floor and start pressing a little every inch or so. Use a spare set to practice on. You could use a screw jack to limit the press for repeatable bends.
The springs I had got with the axle are no good they have a big chunk burnt out of eyelet with a torch when he pulled them out.

I will keep that in mind for the rears. They are from my last truck that I rolled. 64inch chevy springs i think they are good still. But never know.

Budget builds aren't budget If they have to be done twice in my mind.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I don't get half of what your saying

I went ahead and ordered pro comp 4inch lift yj springs and day star polyurethane bushings will be a week before I get them since I ordered out of the states. Have to work overtime this Saturday so won't have time on it or much time but. New leafs should make it easier and better in the end.

Shackle on the front of the spring or rear of the spring? Was thinking front like jeep does

put the shackle where it works best. rear has advantages but you need a high travel slip on the driveshaft.

after taco-ing several springs and fawking up drive shafts i put my shackles out front.

now i debate in my tiny mind whether i am going to link it with coils/coilovers or go to sliders for shackles.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
put the shackle where it works best. rear has advantages but you need a high travel slip on the driveshaft.

after taco-ing several springs and fawking up drive shafts i put my shackles out front.

now i debate in my tiny mind whether i am going to link it with coils/coilovers or go to sliders for shackles.
I think that the front will work the best .

I will use the double cardigan u joint on it and a slip in the shaft what else do you mean? Because of the short wheel base and setting the motor back farther I'm going to end up with almost equal length drive shafts or so I think. That's a little ways away. I have to start reading on setting up pinion angle again front axles always confuse me since your trying to get your ball joints slightly negative for steering but want to match t case or something I don't know

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never worked on or driven a straight axle. But one of the things I've read is that having the shackle in the front the spring is working against the natural motion of the axle when you hit a bump. Shackle in the back the axle is moving in the same direction as the spring. I don't know how much that matters....

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
I've never worked on or driven a straight axle. But one of the things I've read is that having the shackle in the front the spring is working against the natural motion of the axle when you hit a bump. Shackle in the back the axle is moving in the same direction as the spring. I don't know how much that matters....
I love forums and intelligent concerns because I wouldn't of just thought of that. Will have to read more and YouTube it up. If jeep ran front shackles I'm sure they had a valid reason for it as well. But I think the older dodge trucks ran shackles on the back.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
there is a difference

....and the main advantage it has potential for in the rear, is ride quality and travel lineage climbing vertical obstacles....but with hi arch hi-travel underslung springs a rear shackle can allow firewall contact.

rear shackle will force you to raise the ride height for max travel.

simply jamming the shackle on a obstacle when the shackle is out front can fawk up springs as well obviously. but a good slider setup mitigates that...

the ride difference was nill for me with my combination. i actually like the highway handling and ride much better with the shackle out front.

stuffing the firewall is easier to mitigate with the shackles in the front as well. your setup is smaller in real estate so a shackle forward system is likely best all around. it works with the natural arch of the frame and allows you to keep the truck low as possible.

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
there is a difference

....and the main advantage it has potential for in the rear, is ride quality and travel lineage climbing vertical obstacles....but with hi arch hi-travel underslung springs a rear shackle can allow firewall contact.

rear shackle will force you to raise the ride height for max travel.

simply jamming the shackle on a obstacle when the shackle is out front can fawk up springs as well obviously. but a good slider setup mitigates that...

the ride difference was nill for me with my combination. i actually like the highway handling and ride much better with the shackle out front.

stuffing the firewall is easier to mitigate with the shackles in the front as well. your setup is smaller in real estate so a shackle forward system is likely best all around. it works with the natural arch of the frame and allows you to keep the truck low as possible.
Yeah I had just figured I'd copy jeep. I have a piece of tubing I'd run out front and triangulate the tubing back into the sections I had plated around frame already. And fold up a bumper to hide it all after I knew what I am hiding along with adding some pulling points.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
but a good slider setup mitigates that...
What is a slider set-up?
Is that where you get rid of the shackle and have the spring end slide on the frame or ramp? I've seen pics of systems like that and thought it would be good for my race truck. Never got around to doing it.

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
Rectangular tubing rocker panels that double as sliders. That's not that uncommon eh? Like I've seen it done and there aren't any reproduction parts for the couriers. Looking for easy options. Also killing time until leafs show up

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh. I was thinking of a different system that uses the same name. The slider set-up I'm thinking of is where the spring eye is captured in a "box" [attached to the frame] with rollers or PTFE slab. The spring eye can travel back and forth without a shackle. The system eliminates some side to side slop in the rear and can lower the frame if wanted.
I'll see if I can find a pic.

https://www.amazon.ca/Allstar-Performance-ALL60035-Spring-Bearing/dp/B00JPBVGGM?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00JPBVGGM

The pic is upside down to how it would mount to the frame.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
ahhh...yeah some confusion here...

your right floored

https://liquidironindustries.com/Liquid-Iron-Industries-Universal-Slider-Box-Kit.html

i rode in a cherokee with a modified set on the front with dana 60 and 40's and was very surprised how well it rode on some hd waggy springs.

he had issues and needed to change spring rate initially...actually had to add two...one aal and a zero rate. the rear was slider too. i looked into them for quite some time and they are in some projects i have been around..

very stable. i think it might be worth it on your race truck if you plan to remain leaf sprung out back.

i was looking for new super springs to incorporate with them since my front bushings are beat and the springs are "w",d again and i dont feel like rebuilding and re arching them if i can get better stuff.

so...after consulting with the spring guy, he said i would probably be better off going with links.. my weight is a prime issue..

and that guy is right. extremely qualified beyond my capabilities as well.

but

i like stupid simple.

so.

in this case.. with the ol courier...."boxing" the slider a bit with the right angle will stabilize the ride and be quite strong.

win win.

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
ahhh...yeah some confusion here...

your right floored

https://liquidironindustries.com/Liquid-Iron-Industries-Universal-Slider-Box-Kit.html

i rode in a cherokee with a modified set on the front with dana 60 and 40's and was very surprised how well it rode on some hd waggy springs.

he had issues and needed to change spring rate initially...actually had to add two...one aal and a zero rate. the rear was slider too. i looked into them for quite some time and they are in some projects i have been around..

very stable. i think it might be worth it on your race truck if you plan to remain leaf sprung out back.

i was looking for new super springs to incorporate with them since my front bushings are beat and the springs are "w",d again and i dont feel like rebuilding and re arching them if i can get better stuff.

so...after consulting with the spring guy, he said i would probably be better off going with links.. my weight is a prime issue..

and that guy is right. extremely qualified beyond my capabilities as well.

but

i like stupid simple.

so.

in this case.. with the ol courier...."boxing" the slider a bit with the right angle will stabilize the ride and be quite strong.

win win.
I'm going to stick with shackles use the kis (keep it simple) method.

Neat concept but I don't have to worry about hitting the floor or firewall with shackles it will be slung down low to save the engine from the axle smashing into it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
these are actually simpler.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals