• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 3.0 Japanese Ranger 5 speed

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok so the clutch pedal feels like a sponge. No problem disengaging, but kinda hard to get into gear. It is however leaking, from where idk I can't find it. Truck has 120k and I'm the 2nd owner so I have no idea if anything has been replaced. Clutch fluid is just below the little diaphragm looking thing in the clutch full reservoir....1st question is what would be leaking, where do I need to look and would that affect my pedal feel? 2nd if I need to replace my clutch, due to this issue, what all do I need, just a clutch kit, or do I need a flywheel too AND is this a self-adjusting system, ALSO is there more than one version of manual tranny for the 03 3.0?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
nothing is dripping from anywhere near the clutch reservoir? the other spot will be from the transmission bell housing area, would be my guess. if the slave is internal, you won't be able to see unless there is an inspection port so you have to look for fluid dripping from the bottom of the bell housing

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Diaphragm in the clutch reservoir is to reduce air contact with the brake fluid, over time, brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air, which is bad for the fluid

Brake master should have similar diaphragm, because both need Vented caps to allow fluid to drain out to replace any lost fluid or fill caliper/slaves

There are two kinds of Clutch Pressure Plates for Rangers
Regular plate and self adjusting plate(SAC)

Either works but I would suggest self adjusting, costs a bit more but in my opinion worth it

Fly wheels can be replaced or "re-surfaced", one or the other should be done when replacing clutch disc

With fly wheel off the rear main seal on the crank shaft should be replaced, a cheap part but hard to get to if it starts to leak

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Diaphragm in the clutch reservoir is to reduce air contact with the brake fluid, over time, brake fluid absorbs moisture out of the air, which is bad for the fluid

Brake master should have similar diaphragm, because both need Vented caps to allow fluid to drain out to replace any lost fluid or fill caliper/slaves

There are two kinds of Clutch Pressure Plates for Rangers
Regular plate and self adjusting plate(SAC)

Either works but I would suggest self adjusting, costs a bit more but in my opinion worth it

Fly wheels can be replaced or "re-surfaced", one or the other should be done when replacing clutch disc

With fly wheel off the rear main seal on the crank shaft should be replaced, a cheap part but hard to get to if it starts to leak
Yeah I'm fairly sure the rear seal is leaking too. I noticed it when I was doing all the work on the topend and was under there replacing the o2 sensor and fuel filter. That will be done when the tranny gets pulled to do the clutch. I think I can get a little more time out of the clutch because it still functions right, it's just sluggish on the pedal and releases about halfway up. I've got to get the catalytic converter fixed first as I stated in another post I just put up. Don't have funds for both parts right now, but that cat is keeping it from driving right

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals