• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

‘94 Sputtering over 3000rpm

94wkndwarrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I just bought me a 1994 Ford Ranger. It’s a 4.0L 5spd with a 4” BDS kit and James Duff long arms on 33” Buckshots. Nice rig with super clean interior. After completing the paperwork, I hop in and take off home. Driving through the neighborhood at speeds under 50mph, it’s strong, the clutch pulls hard and no CEL. Then I jump on the freeway and in 4th gear at speeds over 3000rpm, it begins to sputter and lose power. I put it in 5th and gain speed up to 65mph, and then it begins to hesitate/sputter again at 3000rpm. This time it throws a CEL. I haven’t ran a diag on the CEL, but want to see if anyone else has experienced this? Previous owner claims new fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires. I have researched the heck out of this and I am thinking it’s something with the rev limiter or clutch assembly...
Thoughts anyone?

superunknown98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Does it happen more when you have engine load? like going up a hill? You can try to clean your MAF sensor with special spray. You can spray it into the intake tube near the MAF or you can take the MAF off the intake tube.

94wkndwarrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply!
Previous owner claims to have cleaned the MAF. My intention is to inspect the MAF. So far I have been too busy to dig into it.
I first noticed the hesitation when I got onto the highway. I took it into high RPM’s in 3rd getting onto highway from what I remember. It wasn’t until 4th that I felt it sputter/hesitate at around 3000rpm. Then again in 5th. Maybe I just didn’t notice it in 3rd. But I haven’t driven it since.

sd359

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31/10-50
Does it have motorcraft o2 sensors. I had 2.9 that would not run correctly on Bosch. As long as I was accelerating or decelerating it was fine but at 55mph or steady speed it would miss and black smoke would pour out the pipes. After many days of chasing problems, I contacted our Ford dealer and spoke with a tech and he told me that Rangers for some reason did not like Bosch o2 sensors. I have a bosch in mine now and no problems but you never know Fords can be picky some times.

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
My truck was doing the exact same thing for a couple weeks before it blew a head gasket!

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe clogged cats. I did a motor job where the cats were that clogged it blew the head gaskets. We didn't realize it until the new motor was in and it hesitated really bad at about 2500 rpm.
My truck was doing the exact same thing for a couple weeks before it blew a head gasket!

94wkndwarrior

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I will double check who the mfg is on the O2 sensors. But it is not smoking at all. Just hesitating. I also need to check the cats on it. Never considered that as a possible reason.
I will post the solution once I get it figured out. Thanks for all the feedback.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals