• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did YOU do today?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cleaned a bunch of leftover parts out of the garage to move into deep storage in the barn.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Continued work on the camper, got all the old butyl off so far and ready for cleanup and get the last two pieces of trim on... then I get to go around and apply sealant everywhere and put the jacks on, should be supporting it's own weight tomorrow! Between breaks I pulled out the mower and mowed some, burned some apple tree branches and camper scraps, moved stuff to get the F350 to the front of the shop so I can do some rust repair hopefully tomorrow. Oh, and I charged the '00 Explorer so I could move the boat more out of the way... not sure why it was dead but it happens on those stupid things...

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Drivetrain is out of the Ranger! :yahoo:

While under truck spotted that my lower ball joint bushings are torn, so that's on the list for upcoming repairs. Bunch more suspension stuff on the way if I can get parts lined up, so it'll wait for then.

As I was working on the truck I had injectors soaking in a ultrasonic cleaner seafoam bath. Tomorrow I'll finish testing and cleaning those, and start general cleanup of engine bay and workspace. Hopefully get everything ready for the engine to go back in.

I'd start a build thread, but I'm terrible about taking pics so there'd be nothing to look at.

I have used 8 and 10 gauge wire to connect batteries when I put a second battery in a vehicle. I’ll take two or three strands and twist them together. If you’ve never done it...
I'm familiar with using multiple smaller wires to carry the load of a single larger wire. Was covered in the electrical portion of that avaition maintence program that I took about 20 years ago. My preference is to use a single wire, welding cable for flexability where desired, and new.

Either I'll prepare ahead and run a single larger cable to replace it, or wait until the engine is back in to repair or replace what is there. Things may be laid out differently enough that I have extra slack to trim and crimp on a new lug, if not I might splice or run new of the same gauge.

Probably caused by the setting sun being in people's eyes.
Those people need to listen to more ZZ Top.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Installed a new kitchen sink faucet for the sister-in-law just down the street. No blood sacrifice today.

I still need to install a whole house furnace humidifier for her.

Sister-in-law lost her husband to Alzheimer's just over a year ago and has no help from her parasite son. I get paid back with pistachio salad from the sister-in-law and make points with the wife, hey hey.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Finally got the power hooked back up in the garage, been putting off doing anything out there because I had to do everything with a flashlight in my mouth.
I may attempt to get the starter in the mustang. Have to disconnect the header again……

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Installed a new kitchen sink faucet for the sister-in-law just down the street. No blood sacrifice today.

I still need to install a whole house furnace humidifier for her.

Sister-in-law lost her husband to Alzheimer's just over a year ago and has no help from her parasite son. I get paid back with pistachio salad from the sister-in-law and make points with the wife, hey hey.
probably make a few points with the Man upstairs too!

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
The cruise in my F250 has been dropping out intermittently. According to the pinpoint test the switch in the wheel is to blame. I found some listed on eBay but figured I’d try the U-Pull and scored a new set of switches and an HVAC control unit to replace my janky loose one. If this set of cruise switches are bad I’m only out $15 so not a big deal.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The cruise in my F250 has been dropping out intermittently. According to the pinpoint test the switch in the wheel is to blame. I found some listed on eBay but figured I’d try the U-Pull and scored a new set of switches and an HVAC control unit to replace my janky loose one. If this set of cruise switches are bad I’m only out $15 so not a big deal.
Wish I could get the cruise working in my Superduty. Switches are fine.i checked them with a meter and I can see them working when I hook up Forscan. Got the brake pedal switch working right. Not sure what to check next.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wish I could get the cruise working in my Superduty. Switches are fine.i checked them with a meter and I can see them working when I hook up Forscan. Got the brake pedal switch working right. Not sure what to check next.
If the computer is recognizing the inputs from the steering wheel switches, I would think there is either an issue with the motor that controls the throttle or maybe something in between.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I took the winter tires off the awd escape, fixed the sump pump under the house. Way more work than I like to do on a sunday but it needed done and was way too cold yesterday to do anything. Wanted to put my fwd escape wheels on the awd & then have the steel wheels on my fwd but changing wheels around on one vehicle is enough of a job without a lift. Took the spare out of the equinox & put air in it. Turns out its a 16” rim so I could get new wheels for it and go with 16”’s, 17”’s are so expensive. If escape rims fit Id just use them since I have the extra original set from the awd.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
So far I've put a patch panel in the roof of the F350 in the front corner, about the size of a business card but what a pain in the rear location for your first patch panel... worked out good enough, not vintage auction quality but if I wanted to clean it up a little bondo would make it perfect... will post a pic later...

After that I started on the roof of the camper scraping off old sealant, wire brushing and getting ready for the new then putting on the new, should have gotten two tubes as I still need about 1/3 of a tube... still gotta put sealant on the sides, got two tubes for that :)

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If the computer is recognizing the inputs from the steering wheel switches, I would think there is either an issue with the motor that controls the throttle or maybe something in between.
The diesels in this generation are "drive by wire" so, the throttle is always electronically controlled. There is no separate cruise control module or servo. It's all controlled by the PCM. So, all I can do is make sure all the inputs to the PCM are working and hope that the computer does its thing.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The diesels in this generation are "drive by wire" so, the throttle is always electronically controlled. There is no separate cruise control module or servo. It's all controlled by the PCM. So, all I can do is make sure all the inputs to the PCM are working and hope that the computer does its thing.
Sounds like an issue with the computer.

Only other thing would be some other strange series of input the the computer needs to see before it’ll accept inputs for cruise.

Maybe something to do with your door switches? Can’t use cruise of doors are open.

Maybe the computer got switched at some point for one from a truck without cruise?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Sounds like an issue with the computer.

Only other thing would be some other strange series of input the the computer needs to see before it’ll accept inputs for cruise.

Maybe something to do with your door switches? Can’t use cruise of doors are open.

Maybe the computer got switched at some point for one from a truck without cruise?
All good ideas. I need to work some more at getting the full version of Forscan working on my computer. I have been wondering if there is a parameter in the PCM that is turned off and disabling cruise.

The door ajar circuit is in permanent "all doors closed" mode and that primarily works through the instrument cluster. The cluster may send that info to the pcm. But, even if it does, the doors are closed. I just need to study the wiring diagrams some more.

Last edited:

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
I think I finished the Town Cart, and I did a little work on the Road Ranger, and as I sat down afterwards, I had an incredibly pleasant feeling.

The shed of miracles has been a complete disaster since I got injured and then I got sick starting in 2014. When I came in today, I realized that I did electrical work at my electrical bench, I did paint work at my paint station, I worked on the seats on my workbench (as opposed to the table-saw table), etc. The whole place is still an unbridled breathtaking disaster, but I guess I’m making baby steps. This is the year I hope to get the excess junk out of the yard I accumulated when I was out of commission, and actually put two or three vehicles back in the garage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals