• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well I've read this entire thread and feel rather fortunate I not experiencing these blow out issues. Sounds frustrating. However, I am experiencing the strange 3-4 shift and then repeat 3-4 shift phenomon at speeds above 45 mph. It's a strange feeling. Almost like the a4ld can't make up it's mind what gear to be in, 3rd or OD. Above 60mph the problem dissapears. It Seems to be more evident when the ambient tempature is above 80f. No problems with the fluid or slippage. Someone else mentioned this and did not get a response. Any ideas? 87' 2.9 4x4 a4ld

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
Well I've read this entire thread and feel rather fortunate I not experiencing these blow out issues. Sounds frustrating. However, I am experiencing the strange 3-4 shift and then repeat 3-4 shift phenomon at speeds above 45 mph. It's a strange feeling. Almost like the a4ld can't make up it's mind what gear to be in, 3rd or OD. Above 60mph the problem dissapears. It Seems to be more evident when the ambient tempature is above 80f. No problems with the fluid or slippage. Someone else mentioned this and did not get a response. Any ideas? 87' 2.9 4x4 a4ld

What gear/tire combo are you running?

Does it feel like a full downshift or a sub (small) down shift?

to test it after it does the downshift, drop the shifter into 3rd. and watch your RPMs.

let me know if it downshifts more.

One last thing does your speedo bounce?

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
3.73's 235x75x15"
small quick changes aprox 1.5 seconds between shifts
happens too fast to manually downshift between
no bounce in speedo

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
Ill do some testing with my a4ld and see if I can copy your problem agin...

her a4ld did the same thing but it also lost 1st gear so I did a full overhaul and shift kit, no more overdrive bounce shifting.

Ill let you know what I find very soon.

electriken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
O/D Adjustment Screw Fell Out Driving my 85 Bronco II yesterday I had my O/D go out. When I got it home I crawled under and found that the O/D adjustment screw had backed all the way out! It was just hanging there. Not having vast knowledge of transmissions is this something that I an just screw back in and adjust it to specs? Or am I looking at pulling the tranny to fix?

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
O/D Adjustment Screw Fell Out Driving my 85 Bronco II yesterday I had my O/D go out. When I got it home I crawled under and found that the O/D adjustment screw had backed all the way out! It was just hanging there. Not having vast knowledge of transmissions is this something that I an just screw back in and adjust it to specs? Or am I looking at pulling the tranny to fix?
"Tighten the band to 10ft-lbs, back it off 2 turns. Now it gets fun. HOLD the adjusting screw, and tighten the locknut to35-45 ft-lbs... Both bands."
This was posted by another member some time ago. Search a4ld adjustment for more info. I also recomend adjusting both bands while your under there.

electriken

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! Good idea on adjusting the other while I'm down there. I'll try to search for that other post!

Last edited:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.73's 235x75x15"
small quick changes aprox 1.5 seconds between shifts
happens too fast to manually downshift between
no bounce in speedo

I found 3things: If you have A 2solenoid valve body your OD solenoid could be bad or bad wires to it, miss ajusted down shift cable, and or A bad governor in the tail shaft housing.

Hope this helps you out.

kastoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
What is the link to the online rebuilding pics?

HEy Fordman... After I rebuilt the A4LD in the 94 'Sploder, it holds second a lot longer than I like. I did a complete disassebly of the valve body and all that went in it. Perhaps re-adjusting the bands will fix this? Other than that, its a fun beast to drive.

I WILL note, that I have never rebuilt any automatic trans before. I had some pics I found online for help.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Weird thing happened to me today... Lost third in D, but it's there in OD. I know it ain't the OD gear because I'll shift 'er out of D, and it'll shift and then shift again at the appropriate time. What may 'cause this?

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
That would be a bad valve body, I would recc. all new VB gaskets, shift kit, screen type filter, and ajusting the bands.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome, thanks Viper Command! You rule.

kastoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Has anybody ever just skipped the a4ld and adapted in something else without too many mechanical changes?

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Okay well I'm not sure that it's just a bad valve body anymore. I completely lost reverse the other day as well. So there's a no shift into OD in OD, and a no shift into 3 in D, plus no reverse gear. Am I going to have to replace bands and clutches and all that hoo-haa?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals