• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to CB's, advice and wisdom wanted.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Routing the coax requires that you don't make any coils (this includes running multiple runs of the coax behind the seat or along a trim panel.) , since this will cause a "choke" and affect the ability to transmit.
Good quality coax won't be bothered by coiling it up or doing whatever with it (it's fully shielded wire). However you don't want too much excess simply because the longer it is, the more signal loss you'll have in the cable.

As for routing the coax, a temporary way would be through the rear sliding window. If you get the cable right into the notch at the bottom or top corner of the glass, you should be able to fully close the window. But for a more permanent installation, the existing floor grommets in the cab floor work best. This keeps it fully sealed from the outside (I took an exacto knife and cut a tiny hole in the rubber plug and then passed the cable through that).

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to disappoint Mike, I forgot to take the pictures. I shall take them tomorrow morning before I do anything else. I have been busy busy busy!!!

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Sorry to disappoint Mike, I forgot to take the pictures. I shall take them tomorrow morning before I do anything else. I have been busy busy busy!!!
Hey no problem man, I completely get being busy. I don't think my antenna will come in for a while anyways so I will just be installing the actual CB for now.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, I woke up at 7am. Hauled dirt til about 3-3:30. Left at 4 to pick up a set of rims. Got home at 10. Tomorrow we're having a yard sale.

And to think, this whole week has been my spring break...

spring break my ass!!!

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok...here's some pics of the mount. I ran the CB through the rubber grommet in the floor that the transmission shift cable runs through. I am going to cut a little hole in the grommet so I can plug the actual hole back up but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Thanks Tom, I got an M5oD but I am sure that grommet is still probably good.

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Heres my 2 cents, I have a Cobra 29 Soundtracker with 4ft wire whip on the left front corner of the bed on my truck. It'll get about 2 miles out and works great for smokey reports.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a Tram-Browning 269 that n9emz gave me. It sticks pretty damn well. He also installed an old Cobra 19gtl and it works great. I don't know anything about them but he showed up one morning before we were leaving on a trip to Wellsville and tore my Radio Shack CB out and threw it away and put these things in.

Edit: Just found an excellent article on Cobra's website.

http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=support.FAQ#185

Last edited:

Clay Lorance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
The Cobras are popular around here, most of the truck drivers run 'em.

RangerSkate28

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4x4 sport
Engine Size
3.0 flex
Transmission
Automatic
Ok...here's some pics of the mount. I ran the CB through the rubber grommet in the floor that the transmission shift cable runs through. I am going to cut a little hole in the grommet so I can plug the actual hole back up but I just haven't gotten to it yet.
Thanks for the pics! this is exactly what im going to do.

Does anyone know what a good price for getting a cb tunned is? somebody told me like 30 bucks.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the Cobra 25 I was using before this tuned for $35. I took it out of the truck and it's been sitting in the garage since...can't get rid of...

Are you looking to buy one or do you already have one?

willievhook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the pics! this is exactly what im going to do.

Does anyone know what a good price for getting a cb tunned is? somebody told me like 30 bucks.
Radioshack here does it for free, and the NAPA did it for free too, but the owner is a family friend...

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good quality coax won't be bothered by coiling it up or doing whatever with it (it's fully shielded wire). However you don't want too much excess simply because the longer it is, the more signal loss you'll have in the cable.
Gonna have to call b.s. on you here. Apparently you don't know much about radios or coax. Even good coax still only stops 95% leakage, and if it didn't, then you would have to worry about signal loss.

Been running CB's since 1971, I might know a thing or two.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Gonna have to call b.s. on you here. Apparently you don't know much about radios or coax. Even good coax still only stops 95% leakage, and if it didn't, then you would have to worry about signal loss.

Been running CB's since 1971, I might know a thing or two.
:rolleyes:

I know FAR more about radios and coax that you probably ever will if it's taken 39 years and you still haven't figured out that there are infact 100%-shielded cables available (that is, if this is what you're basing your ASSumption on)... Unfortunately this actually has very little to do with why coiling/bundling doesn't affect it, since even the 95%-shielded cables are hardly affected by coiling (and if it was greatly affected, this would be an obvious indication one or both ends of the cable is not properly grounded or terminated... I.E., your antenna mount).
I s'pose you're gonna try to lay the "coax also has to be 18 feet in length" myth on me too, huh?

Have you ever built a working synthesized superheterodyne transceiver completely from scratch? Selected every individual transistor, diode, resistor, capacitor, inductor, etc. for the receive, transmit, and common circuits and soldered them into a board layout that you designed yourself? I have... :icon_idea:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you ever built a working synthesized superheterodyne transceiver completely from scratch? Selected every individual transistor, diode, resistor, capacitor, inductor, etc. for the receive, transmit, and common circuits and soldered them into a board layout that you designed yourself? I have... :icon_idea:
Does that come turbocharged?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals