• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

t-5 swap

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well the time has come that i do the t-5 swap. my poor old mazda tranny is as loud as the motor on the freeway. i have located one for $175. it wont have the hydaulic line intace, but does have the slave cylinder and bellhousing. my question is, what else do i need. in the tech articles i read something about an adapter plate. also do i need a t-bird clutch?
thanks
jesse

p.s. add any other tips you may have if you have already done it.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
okay so i figured out that i need the t-bird clutch disc. does that work with the ranger pressure plate?
also is it easier to make the tranny mount relocation bracket or to re-weld the x-member?

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
The T-bird disc will work with the Ranger flywheel and pressure plate.

The hydraulic line and throw-out fork are critical to get with the tranny/bellhousing as they are no longer available from Ford. Lack of the correct line can probably be gotten around but, without the right fork your dead in the water.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i got the tranny today. one of the rear mounting tabs was broken and it didnt have a slave cylinder so i talked them down $40 and got it for $135. i found a slave and line, so i should buy that right? the tranny had a fork in it. i also found a centerforce stage II clutch for a t-bird for $175 shipped. does this clutch have a good rep?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
are the ranger and t-bird flywheels any different?

also, i think that i can just grind off the rivets holding the tranny mount brackets on and drill holes a couple inches further forward and bolt them in. do you see any potential problems with that?

WyoCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Im kinda new to this whole forum thing. Is your ranger a 2.3? If it is if you want to use a t-bird clutch you will need a T-bird flywheel. I just got done with the swap into my 97 2.3 Turbo ranger and had to change flywheels to use my t-bird clutch and pressure plate. What I did is just weld a extension plate to my crossmember with a hole drilled in it to bolt the T5 tranny mount to it. Then I drilled right in the center of the mount on both sides right through the frame to make my rubber mounted tranny brace a solid peice. As for the clutch line I got a line off of I think was a 89 Ranger and just cut the end off to shorten it and heated the plastic with a lighter and sweated the end back into it. Caution it does take time to bleed that slave cylinder out. I've did it for three days until I got all the air out. As for the shifter I just put the stock T bird Shifter in a vise and straightend it then cut the top of my Mazda Shifter and welded it to the T-bird one to give it some height. It works well for a bucket seat config. I hope this helps.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
There is no physical size difference between the Ranger and T-bird fylwheels. Some Ranger flywheels were drilled for a smaller bolt circle pressure plate. But, last time I looked most of them were on the 2.0 and 2.3 carbed motors. I'm not sure why they would use a smaller diameter clutch on a '97.

Jess,
If for some odd reason you find you need a flywheel, let me know. I have spares.

WyoCowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Thanks anyways :) but I have three of the stock ranger flywheels. What i incountered was that the dowls on the ranger flywheel are in the wrong spot for a TBird pressure plate. My stock ranger pressure plate was bad and I was too broke to buy a new clutch set for it so my TBird pressure plate was still good so I used that instead. Thus I had to switch flywheels in order for it to bolt up.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i'll be picking up a spare t-bird flywheel from a friend of mine, but thanks anyway.

D94R

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Get masterful at this swap Davis. I may need you to help me pull the old one, swap the T5 (or T56 if i can find a cheap one), and bleed the system when my time comes.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
aight. looks like i'll be doing mine at the beginning of december sometime. give me a call at 801 691 6054 when you are ready to do yours.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well i was looking at the tranny and slave cylinder and got to wondering, is it supposed to clip in or something? because if it is, i'm missing the clip or whatever keeps it in place. if anyone has pics, that would be really helpful.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
I'll have to go and look to be sure but, yes, I think there is a retaining clip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals