• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 F250 diesel - discovery and build thread.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Mine's salvage title, my '98 Explorer has been totaled at least twice :).

There for a while it didn't take much to total out a 10 year old rig... on my F350 it's pretty obvious what made it totaled, they had a ladder rack and a gooseneck trailer came unhitched and the ladder rack hit the cab denting it behind the rear drivers side door and some other mild cosmetic stuff that doesn't bother me... of course the slight crabwalk it does isn't ideal but the '90 Ranger does that too...

For the right price I don't think I'd worry too much about the salvage title, all it really means if it is in good shape otherwise is it's worth less, like said maybe verify his story with the carfax and maybe pull back the carpet some somewhere...

A plus with a '99 plus is it's intercooled and already has like 30hp more than the OBS 7.3L's. If auto trans the 4R100 or 5R110 or whatever apparently isn't too bad of a trans but maybe at least ask about it's maintenance or rebuild history and would look at and smell the trans fluid... If ZF6 then I don't know, test drive should tell enough about that...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

There for a while it didn't take much to total out a 10 year old rig... on my F350 it's pretty obvious what made it totaled, they had a ladder rack and a gooseneck trailer came unhitched and the ladder rack hit the cab denting it behind the rear drivers side door and some other mild cosmetic stuff that doesn't bother me... of course the slight crabwalk it does isn't ideal but the '90 Ranger does that too...

For the right price I don't think I'd worry too much about the salvage title, all it really means if it is in good shape otherwise is it's worth less, like said maybe verify his story with the carfax and maybe pull back the carpet some somewhere...

A plus with a '99 plus is it's intercooled and already has like 30hp more than the OBS 7.3L's. If auto trans the 4R100 or 5R110 or whatever apparently isn't too bad of a trans but maybe at least ask about it's maintenance or rebuild history and would look at and smell the trans fluid... If ZF6 then I don't know, test drive should tell enough about that...
The 4R100 is basically just an updated E4OD and from what ive read its just as prone to death by abuse as its older brother.

@ericbphoto how dead set are you on a diesel? You can usually get a pretty nice 460 truck (or even a 351 if all youre towing is your ranger) for quite a bit cheaper then a comparable PSD. Plus they are cheaper to fix. Same for a 5.4/6.8SD, espicially if youre open to a 2wd.

Just the other day i found a super nice 90 (maybe older then you want, i dont know) with a 460/E4OD, reg cab, 2wd long bed 3/4ton for 2500 bucks. Old man owned and very clean

Last edited:

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
I don't know if its the same in every state or even still this way in TN, but several years back I wrecked my 93 Cougar. It was totaled but with just some light front end damage. I bought it back from the insurance company and got a donor car and fixed it. A few years later decided to trade it in on a 98 Ranger and the lot said they couldn't legally sell a car with a rebuilt title. Long story short I had to sell it myself and use the cash as a down payment. The lot was going to give me 5k for it till they found out it was rebuilt. I was only able to get 2500 with the rebuilt title.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

I did finally notice the tailgate says Superduty. No reason to think it has been replaced. Don’t know if that makes a determination of which transmission it has. It is an auto.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
The 4R100 is basically just an updated E4OD and from what ive read its just as prone to death by abuse as its older brother.

@ericbphoto how dead set are you on a diesel? You can usually get a pretty nice 460 truck (or even a 351 if all youre towing is your ranger) for quite a bit cheaper then a comparable PSD. Plus they are cheaper to fix. Same for a 5.4/6.8SD, espicially if youre open to a 2wd.

Just the other day i found a super nice 90 (maybe older then you want, i dont know) with a 460/E4OD, reg cab, 2wd long bed 3/4ton for 2500 bucks. Old man owned and very clean
I know you speak well of the 460. I just feel like the diesel would be better suited to towing in the mountains around here. But I can’t say I have any real facts to go on. I wonder how fuel mileage compares. I know the 1990 7.3l I had years ago got decent mileage and it never seemed to change much with load or terrain. On the other hand, my parents had an OBS F350 crew cab 4x4 that they towed a 5th wheel camper with. Dad liked that truck. Mom even drove it, towing, forward only.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Don’t rule out a V10. I hear the modular v10 with the right gears does well under load.
I also hear great things about the dodge v10.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Just gonna leave this here....

proxy-image (30).jpeg

You wont regret it.

I dont know much about the autos they put behind them. I did watch whatever they put in a 2018-ish 6.7l auto die a hilarious death in a 4500 with 15k miles on it. So probably avoid whatever that... was.

The NV5600 is awesome, albeit a bit tractor-trailer esque. 1st gear is useless unless you have 60 tons on a gooseneck and are facing a 91° uphill slope.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Just gonna leave this here....

View attachment 93238

You wont regret it.

I dont know much about the autos they put behind them. I did watch whatever they put in a 2018-ish 6.7l auto die a hilarious death in a 4500 with 15k miles on it. So probably avoid whatever that... was.

The NV5600 is awesome, albeit a bit tractor-trailer esque. 1st gear is useless unless you have 60 tons on a gooseneck and are facing a 91° uphill slope.
All the Dodges I’m seeing are very pricey. Plus, I don’t know which models to look for and which to avoid.

I did follow that “Fummins” link earlier in this thread. Very interesting idea. Very appealing.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I did see a cool truck in Marketplace a few weeks ago. Seems to be gone now. It was a Ford/International. Bigger body size similar to an F600 or something. I think it was a late 70’s model. Crew cab with a pickup style bed. Had a Detroit in it. I think it was something like a 471T. Would have been entertaining. They wanted $23k. It appeared to be in great shape.

found it “pending”
IMG_0292.png

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I know you speak well of the 460. I just feel like the diesel would be better suited to towing in the mountains around here. But I can’t say I have any real facts to go on. I wonder how fuel mileage compares. I know the 1990 7.3l I had years ago got decent mileage and it never seemed to change much with load or terrain. On the other hand, my parents had an OBS F350 crew cab 4x4 that they towed a 5th wheel camper with. Dad liked that truck. Mom even drove it, towing, forward only.
I forgot youre in the mountains...

But it depends on what youre towing. Ive towed 5 or 6k with mine through kentucky and i didnt really notice any loss of power. Out in the rockys would be a different story though.

If you dont see yourself ever loading up over say...8500lbs....i wouldnt rule out a 460. The diesel would do better at high elevations assuming its turbo. I should add the 460 would drag 10 or 11k thru mountains...but over 8500 or so i think the diesel would start to shine. On flat ground/small hills i doubt youd notice any difference in power between the two

The 460 and PSD Obs Trucks were rated exactly the same weights for towing.

I get 12-13mpg empty and around 9-10 towing. The PSD will do somewhat better then that...but the 460 will be better empty and pretty equal powerwise when towing compared to a early PSD...atleast in normalish terrain.

But also remember...you can rebuild a 460 for what injectors or a turbo will cost on a 7.3...plus diesel is more expensive, as are general maintence.

The V10 *needs* 4.30 gears to get the full affect. The couple V10s ive driven havent really impressed me...they felt alot mushyier off the line then my 460 but up top a bit stronger.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
1685535593586.png

Put a flat bed on that to haul the G-Unit...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
All the Dodges I’m seeing are very pricey. Plus, I don’t know which models to look for and which to avoid.

I did follow that “Fummins” link earlier in this thread. Very interesting idea. Very appealing.
The price is because of the 5.9/6.7 tbh. That, and they are an awesome drivetrain.

Rust is the big one with Dodge. Tubular frames, at least on the ones I've had. Shouldn't be too awful in your latitude though.

Other than that, the 24 valve can wind up with a pusher pump issue that ruins the injection pump. Not a big deal nowadays as most of them have been fixes at this point. If a truck has aftermarket gages on it, usually a sign that the pump issue was fixed.

If it's a 12 valve, just buy it and drive it like you stole it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The price is because of the 5.9/6.7 tbh. That, and they are an awesome drivetrain.

Rust is the big one with Dodge. Tubular frames, at least on the ones I've had. Shouldn't be too awful in your latitude though.

Other than that, the 24 valve can wind up with a pusher pump issue that ruins the injection pump. Not a big deal nowadays as most of them have been fixes at this point. If a truck has aftermarket gages on it, usually a sign that the pump issue was fixed.

If it's a 12 valve, just buy it and drive it like you stole it.
Honestly....the 8.0L is nothing to scoff at either if you decide to go dodge lol.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The V10 *needs* 4.30 gears to get the full affect. The couple V10s ive driven havent really impressed me...they felt alot mushyier off the line then my 460 but up top a bit stronger.
Yeah, the for V10 is small for a V10. They like to spin to get the power, hence the short gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals