• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

U-joint has left the chat…

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My F-150 was supposed to be entirely stock with 69k on it when I got it. Only things not original was the transfer case shifter (guy said it seized up on him the previous winter) and the rear gas tank.

I replaced a number of things since then, but the rear driveshaft I don’t believe ever has been changed. Had to replace the driveshaft to rear axle yoke, but that was it (another U-joint failure). I did replace the transmission from M5OD to ZF5, but I never gave any of it a thought, shoved the transmission in and the transfer case and lever fit up just right and the driveshafts fit so I saw no reason to change any of that.
Thats strange. All i can tell ya is keep diggin. Theres gotta be one lol

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow! That U-Joint actually did leave the chat :)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
That makes me wonder. How many miles would be driven to bush hog a 5 acre field? That 5 acre number is just for sake if discussion. But I think there is something psychological here. Driving 19 miles down the road seems to take forever and "sucks". Yet, driving the same tractor for an hour or 2 bush hogging or doing so.e other meaningful work can almost be relaxing and therapeutic. I used to enjoy jumping on Uncle Phil's Ford 6610 and going out to mow. If the dust wasn't too bad and kicking up my allergies, that is. Listening to the diesel and enjoying the sunshine was enjoyable.
Same with stop and go traffic. I would rather drive a farther distance than sit in traffic. Something about burning gasoline to go walking speeds, while constantly building then breaking momentum, is very maddening to me.

My dual sport bike gets a lot more wear and tear on the street than the trails....miles are harder on the bike than hours lol.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Wow! That U-Joint actually did leave the chat :)
Lil_Blue_Ford doesn’t do things half way. He goes big or goes home.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
Same with stop and go traffic. I would rather drive a farther distance than sit in traffic. Something about burning gasoline to go walking speeds, while constantly building then breaking momentum, is very maddening to me.
every day, when i get out of work, i take the road around the golf course and by the water just so i don't have to sit in stop and go traffic. i hate traffic. that little bit longer drive lets me see the marina and bay, and see if anyone makes any nice shots on the 3rd and 4th holes and i still get home faster than all the people in the long line down the main street.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
every day, when i get out of work, i take the road around the golf course and by the water just so i don't have to sit in stop and go traffic. i hate traffic. that little bit longer drive lets me see the marina and bay, and see if anyone makes any nice shots on the 3rd and 4th holes and i still get home faster than all the people in the long line down the main street.
You know whats fun?

Driving past a golf course in a semi and seeing someone lining up a putt ready to swing and nailing the air horn and/or jake.

Not that i ever done such sheananigans.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
i wonder if people try to hit balls after the truck that does that, ha ha ha

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I got mad and did a “field repair” to my driveshaft. Used a torch and hammer with a pipe vise to get the ears back close, then an old junk U-joint to get it closer, then after it cooled I beat a joint back in it and it’s under the truck and a test drive to a local beer garden for the monthly homebrewers meeting was a success. I don’t know that I trust it beyond local travel and there seems to be a vibration that may or may not be related, but at least now I can venture to a couple junkyards that may or may not have what I need without trying to bum a ride. So I’ll probably work on the Ranger some instead of searching junkyards, but we’ll see

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I worked once at a truck parts place doing parts delivery, I think around 1899, and there was a fella working there in a drive shaft capacity who would get a measurement for a driveshaft and build it, right there in front of the warehouse. Between deliveries I'd spend some time in there.

He'd start out by cutting a length of driveshaft pipe and begin to welding the ends on it, balancing it out with a high speed spinner, and by the time he was done they could be picking it up.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I worked once at a truck parts place doing parts delivery, I think around 1899, and there was a fella working there in a drive shaft capacity who would get a measurement for a driveshaft and build it, right there in front of the warehouse. Between deliveries I'd spend some time in there.

He'd start out by cutting a length of driveshaft pipe and begin to welding the ends on it, balancing it out with a high speed spinner, and by the time he was done they could be picking it up.
1899??? What are you? A vampire? Did they have trucks then?? LOL

@lil_Blue_Ford you may have to break down and go to a spring and drive shaft company. They may even be able the repair your existing driveshaft.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You could always buy a driveshaft balancing machine, then build your own driveshaft.

I'm sure they're expensive, and not easy to come by.

This way, next time, you'll have everything.

Next thing you know you are building your own transmission out of cast beer cans in the back yard.

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
God bless the scenic route....ever catch a golf ball in the truck bed? now that would be a great story of commute home lol...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
The ball scooper cart has always been a target at my local driving range, hence the extra heavy perforated steel mesh lining over the cab area.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
no. it would more likely hit the windshield though since the last part of the drive is right next to the driving range. i have worried about that for a long time but it hasn't happened in 20 years of driving that route. when i ride my bicycle, which is most of hte time, i ride right along the 1st hole fairway. i always worry about getting hit that way

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
The ball scooper cart has always been a target at my local driving range, hence the extra heavy perforated steel mesh lining over the cab area.
my parents used to own a driving range and our ball picker also had the full cage. everyone tries to hit, ha ha ha. i hated driving it because every once in a while, someone would hit it and scare the crap out of me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals