• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford All EV in EU By 2035

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wouldn't be surprised if in another eight years the range doubled again.
I wouldn't be surprised either, but that would require a change in tech, which is constantly being improved.

If those rigs were taken off the road tomorrow, freight would still move.
Yes, freight would still move. But at a rate that would hurt. Bad. Under current tech, it has been demonstrated already that the range of hauling something with an EV is less than half of an IC vehicle. That should get better. Will EV freight ever get to the rate of IC? Maybe, but I have my doubts. Especially with freight hauling, there is going to have to be a significant change in charging.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I wouldn't be surprised either, but that would require a change in tech, which is constantly being improved.

Yes, freight would still move. But at a rate that would hurt. Bad. Under current tech, it has been demonstrated already that the range of hauling something with an EV is less than half of an IC vehicle. That should get better. Will EV freight ever get to the rate of IC? Maybe, but I have my doubts. Especially with freight hauling, there is going to have to be a significant change in charging.
The other issue is current gross weight laws. EV trucks cant haul as much before going over 80k cause they are considerably heavier then an average diesel tractor.

So couple less product moved, with less range, and much longer downtimes...yeah...diesels arnt going anywhere

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The other issue is current gross weight laws. EV trucks cant haul as much before going over 80k cause they are considerably heavier then an average diesel tractor.

So couple less product moved, with less range, and much longer downtimes...yeah...diesels arnt going anywhere
In California they are by 2045. Unless they repeal that. But this is all speculation based on current tech. Saw an article in Popular Mechanics of a company that is ready to test a solid state Lithium battery. It doesn't have the issues that current lithium batteries have. https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a38349967/solid-state-lithium-batteries/

Besides, I'm having high hopes for the fusion powered truck. :LOL:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Pretty sure that EV semis get an extra 2k lbs of gross to work with now:

Battery trucks are just ok for short range stuff now. But in the bigger picture, hydrogen is what most of the commercial heavy duty sector is investing in for extreme duty cycles. Initially (within 5 years) it will be in the form of ICE's that burn hydrogen. These will share many components with ICE powertrains that we're used to right now, so it will be relatively easy to develop, implement into trucks, and relatively inexpensive to purchase. If that takes off in any significant way, then hydrogen fueling stations will become more common, and eventually hydrogen fuel cells might become more financially viable. These companies are investing tons of money into hydrogen as are many governments around the globe including the US. The people making big decisions know that batteries can't do it all.

I'm of the mindset that in the future batteries will be useful in applications that gasoline currently works for, and hydrogen will probably be the diesel equivalent. Perhaps eventually replacing batteries all together if fuel cells reach a point of reasonable affordability.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Pretty sure that EV semis get an extra 2k lbs of gross to work with now:

Battery trucks are just ok for short range stuff now. But in the bigger picture, hydrogen is what most of the commercial heavy duty sector is investing in for extreme duty cycles. Initially (within 5 years) it will be in the form of ICE's that burn hydrogen. These will share many components with ICE powertrains that we're used to right now, so it will be relatively easy to develop, implement into trucks, and relatively inexpensive to purchase. If that takes off in any significant way, then hydrogen fueling stations will become more common, and eventually hydrogen fuel cells might become more financially viable. These companies are investing tons of money into hydrogen as are many governments around the globe including the US. The people making big decisions know that batteries can't do it all.

I'm of the mindset that in the future batteries will be useful in applications that gasoline currently works for, and hydrogen will probably be the diesel equivalent. Perhaps eventually replacing batteries all together if fuel cells reach a point of reasonable affordability.
Im betting on diesel/gas for atleast another 40-50 yrs to be the dominant fuel sources

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im betting on diesel/gas for atleast another 40-50 yrs to be the dominant fuel sources
How much would you bet and how would you plan on collecting, or paying? :LOL:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
How much would you bet and how would you plan on collecting, or paying? :LOL:
Ill be dead. Or close to it. Fossil fuels are to entrenched to be gone or beaten back any time even close to soon.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think ICE's will definitely be around for 40-50 years, but I'd say diesel specifically will no longer be the most common commercial fuel in the EU and North America within ~20 years.

I think between regulations continuing to tighten and the needs for capital investment to be spent on other options, we're already seeing companies stop producing/investing in diesel because the return on investment is low. Hino, Isuzu, and Daimler/Detroit have already made the decision to exit the medium duty diesel segment. They were having to spend too much money developing their engines to fight for what was a small market share (if they could even get them to meet emissions requirments in the first place). Cummins already has about 80% market share in Medium Duty segment and that's only going to grow as others retreat. And in ~5 years or less they'll have fuel agnostic engine platforms that can use diesel, hydrogen, natural gas, and gasoline variants of the same basic engine platforms. Natural gas is already here, gasoline is right behind, and the target for their hydrogen ICEs is 2027.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a point to ponder about what the future may bring:

back in the late 60's on numerous occasions I watched the Dana Corp experimental turbine powered semi travel along
the US 24 bypass in North Toledo. huge exhaust pipe, whistled, had an extended cab full of instruments and a technician or 2.
it always pulled a trailer loaded with test weights.

seen any turbine powered vehicles lately?

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
a point to ponder about what the future may bring:

back in the late 60's on numerous occasions I watched the Dana Corp experimental turbine powered semi travel along
the US 24 bypass in North Toledo. huge exhaust pipe, whistled, had an extended cab full of instruments and a technician or 2.
it always pulled a trailer loaded with test weights.

seen any turbine powered vehicles lately?
Ford and Chevy had them too...

download.jpeg-19.jpg

1966-Chevrolet-Turbo-Titan-III-RF-color-1.jpg

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1667050406841.png

Chrysler turbine Car

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals