• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

U-joint has left the chat…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I talked a little today with my neighbor and he sounds to be on board with helping me sort things out with my tractor, said he is about to be off work with shoulder surgery and I said hey, I’ll do the work, you just help me with what to do. A little poking around online and apparently pretty much everything is available for these, at least important stuff. Napa even stocks the oil filter, lol

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That was before the turns, I was leading about 30 other tractors on a tractor ride last summer.
I bet y'all still made better time than a dozen Jeeps on a trailride on smooth asphalt.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I bet y'all still made better time than a dozen Jeeps on a trailride on smooth asphalt.
dude, that can be PAINFUL, I was on a ride once with some newbies and they stopped for like 10 minutes to video themselves going 1mph through a water puddle... I was in 2 low just so I could drive slower... we noped out of that group and found a more advanced group moving faster, then got stuck behind a jeep that was carbureted and kept stalling going up hill... that was the end of my first heater box...

I think my tractor tops out at 12mph in 4th and full rpm but I don't run there... I think the fastest I mow is usually 3mph... I drove mine down the highway about 2 miles once to get a cheap 3pt tiller from a garage/estate sale...

My brother has a IH M that we need to get running (just needs a coil and resistor...), that thing in road gear is kinda ridiculous... going over a bump at 15mph on a tricycle tractor sitting like 7' off the ground is strange... The Gleaner L combine on the other hand is like a Cadillac... if a Cadillac had a odd 4 or 5 speed transmission with a variable speed drive...

Those updraft carbs are stupid simple and pretty cheap...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
dude, that can be PAINFUL, I was on a ride once with some newbies and they stopped for like 10 minutes to video themselves going 1mph through a water puddle... I was in 2 low just so I could drive slower... we noped out of that group and found a more advanced group moving faster, then got stuck behind a jeep that was carbureted and kept stalling going up hill... that was the end of my first heater box...

I think my tractor tops out at 12mph in 4th and full rpm but I don't run there... I think the fastest I mow is usually 3mph... I drove mine down the highway about 2 miles once to get a cheap 3pt tiller from a garage/estate sale...

My brother has a IH M that we need to get running (just needs a coil and resistor...), that thing in road gear is kinda ridiculous... going over a bump at 15mph on a tricycle tractor sitting like 7' off the ground is strange... The Gleaner L combine on the other hand is like a Cadillac... if a Cadillac had a odd 4 or 5 speed transmission with a variable speed drive...

Those updraft carbs are stupid simple and pretty cheap...
Jeep guys can be somethin else. Was out an the ORV park once with a 89 F250 Reg Cab/4wd sittin on big fat 35's with a 460/C6

When me and my buddy got there (he had an all stock 95ish sierra) this guy was talking to us, said hed never been here before and asked if he could tag along. I said sure and he followed us around with a 90s 4dr XJ on 33's with a bit of lift and a 4.0.

We came to a hill (its a old gravel pit, not really trails) that went up pretty steep, then leveled off, then went up steep again. It was rutted and washed out and looked pretty nasty.

Jeep boy then got cocky and started talking about how his jeep would make it but there was no way he thought my truck would...and definantly not my buddies.

My buddy backed out as his truck was his DD and hes not as competitve as me.

Jeep boy went first, took him what seemed like forever as he did the whole picking around everything and crawling up at 2 mph. He got to the flat spot and lost his nerve, turned around came down and was like "theres no way youll make that i wouldnt even try"

Me being who i am basically said "hold my beer (i wasnt drinking, but you get it) and watch this" Backed up, dropped it in 4hi and stood on it. Let that 460 do the rest.

My back was sore for a week, shit was everywhere in the cab...but by god i showed jeep boy.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Jeep guys can be somethin else. Was out an the ORV park once with a 89 F250 Reg Cab/4wd sittin on big fat 35's with a 460/C6

When me and my buddy got there (he had an all stock 95ish sierra) this guy was talking to us, said hed never been here before and asked if he could tag along. I said sure and he followed us around with a 90s 4dr XJ on 33's with a bit of lift and a 4.0.

We came to a hill (its a old gravel pit, not really trails) that went up pretty steep, then leveled off, then went up steep again. It was rutted and washed out and looked pretty nasty.

Jeep boy then got cocky and started talking about how his jeep would make it but there was no way he thought my truck would...and definantly not my buddies.

My buddy backed out as his truck was his DD and hes not as competitve as me.

Jeep boy went first, took him what seemed like forever as he did the whole picking around everything and crawling up at 2 mph. He got to the flat spot and lost his nerve, turned around came down and was like "theres no way youll make that i wouldnt even try"

Me being who i am basically said "hold my beer (i wasnt drinking, but you get it) and watch this" Backed up, dropped it in 4hi and stood on it. Let that 460 do the rest.

My back was sore for a week, shit was everywhere in the cab...but by god i showed jeep boy.
So… years ago, I went out with my dad and brother. It was dirt roads, but it was winter and someone dumped a triaxle of dirt across the usual road so everyone had to go in through the bottom. When we got in the line on the snowy/icy dirt road, they were fishing a Chevy 1500 out of the ditch. Most everyone found a place to park after that, but a couple Jeep guys tried, made it about a third of the way and that was it, they worked off to the side and called it. Dad and my brother went churning up past them in the 2wd 460/ZF5 dump truck, which did a lot of clawing but made it. I had thrown the choptop in 4lo and walked it in second. The Jeep guys were giving me the middle finger salute with both hands…

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So… years ago, I went out with my dad and brother. It was dirt roads, but it was winter and someone dumped a triaxle of dirt across the usual road so everyone had to go in through the bottom. When we got in the line on the snowy/icy dirt road, they were fishing a Chevy 1500 out of the ditch. Most everyone found a place to park after that, but a couple Jeep guys tried, made it about a third of the way and that was it, they worked off to the side and called it. Dad and my brother went churning up past them in the 2wd 460/ZF5 dump truck, which did a lot of clawing but made it. I had thrown the choptop in 4lo and walked it in second. The Jeep guys were giving me the middle finger salute with both hands…
My bro in law is a big jeeper. He goes "jeepin" with his buddies all the time. He asked me when i was buying one...i said "im not, but ill buy a fullsize bronco so i can tow yall home when you quit"

He wasnt impressed

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I might be able to beat the ears back some and tack weld a joint in, but I’d rather replace the shaft. No luck yet on getting a replacement. My ex started bitching last night that I need to come get my stuff, which is what I woke up to. WTF, I’m like, listen, all my junk is broke right now and I haven’t found a replacement driveshaft yet. I got a “sorry, I was tipsy (more like drunk) last night. :rolleyes:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My bro in law is a big jeeper. He goes "jeepin" with his buddies all the time. He asked me when i was buying one...i said "im not, but ill buy a fullsize bronco so i can tow yall home when you quit"

He wasnt impressed
I was playing with a Jeep buddy years ago in an 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco II. He went through a big muddy patch and told me to go around. He was really surprised to get through and find me paddling through in my stocker when he was on 34” LTBs. That stupid B2 went damn near everywhere he went and left him shaking his head

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I was playing with a Jeep buddy years ago in an 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco II. He went through a big muddy patch and told me to go around. He was really surprised to get through and find me paddling through in my stocker when he was on 34” LTBs. That stupid B2 went damn near everywhere he went and left him shaking his head
Thats my point lol. I dont get the attraction to jeeps. They are overpriced, unreliable, and really not any more capable then other things in their size class.

Plus alot of jeepers wheel on stuff im fairly confident my 2wd ranger wouldnt have much trouble with.

But full disclosure id own a CJ

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thats my point lol. I dont get the attraction to jeeps. They are overpriced, unreliable, and really not any more capable then other things in their size class.

Plus alot of jeepers wheel on stuff im fairly confident my 2wd ranger wouldnt have much trouble with.

But full disclosure id own a CJ
I always kinda wanted a CJ/YJ/TJ but they’ve alway been stupid expensive around here. Pretty sure my F-150 sees far more off-road use than 95% of the Jeeps around here. Probably more capable too.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I always kinda wanted a CJ/YJ/TJ but they’ve alway been stupid expensive around here. Pretty sure my F-150 sees far more off-road use than 95% of the Jeeps around here. Probably more capable too.
They are pricy as hell here too.

I dont know what year your F150 is but i had 2 expeditions, a 97 and 98. Didnt really wheel the 98 much but i did the 97. It was actually pretty capable in stock form. It lacked flex for sure but i never felt out gunned in it. Obviously tight trails were a no go. After a 3 inch lift and some 33 A/T's it was damn respectable.

Kinda why i hate IFS though...it broke more shit then i thought it should have

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
They are pricy as hell here too.

I dont know what year your F150 is but i had 2 expeditions, a 97 and 98. Didnt really wheel the 98 much but i did the 97. It was actually pretty capable in stock form. It lacked flex for sure but i never felt out gunned in it. Obviously tight trails were a no go. After a 3 inch lift and some 33 A/T's it was damn respectable.

Kinda why i hate IFS though...it broke more shit then i thought it should have
In the siggy, 95 with the 300 and ZF5, no lift but 1-ton suspension and 31’s

I don’t really wheel it, but it’s been all over my property and a friends old farm with trails cut all over the place among other things

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
In the siggy, 95 with the 300 and ZF5, no lift but 1-ton suspension and 31’s

I don’t really wheel it, but it’s been all over my property and a friends old farm with trails cut all over the place among other things
That would be more capable then the expedition. I dont see siggys on mobile lol.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals