• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not necessarily no.

What I think they would do is to start barring the registrations of the oldest/dirtiest vehicles first and then work their way up.

pre emissions would get told they can't be registered first, then pre-injection, then obd1 vehicles, then obd2. This could be over the course of 20-25 years.. that would give the populace PLENTY of time to adjust and either buy a newer ICE vehicle that will still be legal for how many ever years it could be or do the 'right thing' and buy an EV. They could say people can still register a gas ICE vehicle as long it's some sort of hybrid..

As Ron has said, the average age of a vehicle on the road in this country is 12 or 13 years..

Going off of that.. I'd day California could probably immideately ban the registration and use of pre-injected vehicles and it wouldn't be an inconvenience to any sort of meaningful amount of its population.

The people who run this country are mongoloids at best. I'm standing firm on that 5k dollar bet.

The bet isn't that ALL gas powered vehicles will be outlawed, but they will definitely be restricted in one way or another..
That is a lot of squeeze for not much juice.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Exactly. The situation handles itself over time, and there's far less drama in allowing that to play out.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In order to make significant/rapid change, you need to be an evangelist because people are comfortable with the status quo.
And if you are an evangelist, you are going to have lots of detractors.​

We have seen similar changes historically:
All new cars were required to use unleaded gasoline in '75; leaded gasoline would be banned by '90.​
There was huge hysteria that all the existing cars would be trashing in the next 15 years, there would be no such thing a performance car by '90, etc.​
Same thing for electronic fuel injection. Replacing the carb would ruin performance for the future, no one would be able to modify their car, etc.​

Musk and co (i.e. California) need to be evanglists to get the infrastructure in place.
Hybrid vehicles are great for current - but they don't get the charging station built in every small town, people working on range/charging issues, etc.​

By 2050, you won't need a ban - ICE vehicles will be so rare that it won't need a law.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Exactly. The situation handles itself over time, and there's far less drama in allowing that to play out.
But I like drama. Why just the other day I was watching The Jetsons. Poor George had to push a button twice that day. He was exhausted.

Guess George Jetson was born just a few weeks ago according to the story. So the show was set somewhere in the 2060's. The real question is, Where's My Flying Car?

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Yep. I'd love to travel back in time and hear the F1's fire up. Everything about the Saturn V was stunning. If/when Starship and the Super Heavy booster starts flying with any regularity, I might have to plan a trip to watch a launch.
As new FL residents, we went to watch the rocket launch (or lack thereof) yesterday. Part of me really has no interest in dealing with the crowds of weirdos* to see it, but the other part of me really wants to see that up close. I have to believe it's impressive. The amount of energy being released in that short amount of time has to be pretty neat. If they are ready and I can make it I'd like to see it on Friday.

*Other than the logistics trying to park somewhere and then leave after things are done, the people watching was actually pretty good. We had our dogs with us so I was basically staying in the pickup with them until close to launch time and was just observing people. It was like a mixture of fantasy movie premier, circus, ball game, and skid row. People fresh out of their Mom's basement in their NASA shirts, hats, etc. Hawkers selling food and drink, and random souvenirs. A spectrum of vans from all over the country that people had camped in so they could be 200 feet closer than those showing up the morning of (some of these things had no business on the road). We even had the guy preaching through a megaphone about the end of days. I'm disappointed the launch was postponed but at least the trip wasn't a total waste.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
But I like drama. Why just the other day I was watching The Jetsons. Poor George had to push a button twice that day. He was exhausted.

Guess George Jetson was born just a few weeks ago according to the story. So the show was set somewhere in the 2060's. The real question is, Where's My Flying Car?
Patience. It’s not 2060 yet.

and there have been some promising prototypes and experiments.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
That is a lot of squeeze for not much juice.
Your not wrong. BUT.. it WOULD be a 'step forward' for them.

Considering that state prides itself on (usually being) the first state in the nation to take said "steps forward', my idea is pretty damn far from tinfoil hat status..

Christ.. this same sort of conversation has probably happened a million times already, in the past.

"California's gonna ban the sale of new gas passenger vehicles eventually"

"Pfffft. Ok Alex jones, where's your 1500 page peer reviewed study to back that up?"

🙄

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In order to make significant/rapid change, you need to be an evangelist because people are comfortable with the status quo.
And if you are an evangelist, you are going to have lots of detractors.​

We have seen similar changes historically:
All new cars were required to use unleaded gasoline in '75; leaded gasoline would be banned by '90.​
There was huge hysteria that all the existing cars would be trashing in the next 15 years, there would be no such thing a performance car by '90, etc.​
Same thing for electronic fuel injection. Replacing the carb would ruin performance for the future, no one would be able to modify their car, etc.​

Musk and co (i.e. California) need to be evanglists to get the infrastructure in place.
Hybrid vehicles are great for current - but they don't get the charging station built in every small town, people working on range/charging issues, etc.​

By 2050, you won't need a ban - ICE vehicles will be so rare that it won't need a law.
To be fair between 1975 and 1990 (into the 00's really) were pretty dark times in the auto industry.

In high school in the early 00's 200hp was pretty hot and 300 was unheard of. One girl had a LS1 Camaro that was omg fast. Now my wife's 4cyl Bronco has almost the same power and my boring F-150 has even more...

I could see more C4C BS moreso than an outright ban. It would be the same 5-15yo fleet getting picked on which for their goals would be the most bang per buck to pick on.

But these are weird times... I wouldn't rule out a ban either, especially in certain areas.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
It has to be more practical - period. Green energy CANNOT replace fossil fuels anywhere in the immediate future. It's lifetimes away.
1661887273600.png

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
You watched Tucker Carlson last night....
So did you ;) It fascinates me how people get so sucked into the liberal mind hive they lose all sense of practicality and an ability to think critically.
It's true. You truly can't fix stupid, or obstinance.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Pretty crazy what's happening in Europe with all their green ambitions.
I found it more sad because as noted, the elites will not feel the pain. They never do.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Something else that that is kinda funny... the big incentives they have been shouting about for buying an EV... just got taken away with an even larger price hike from the manufactures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals