• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camber adjustment, shop confused

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
1989 4x4 2.9L automatic w Rancho lift

So after I replaced my busted passenger side axle drop bracket that’s part of the lift kit, I took my truck to a cheap spot down the road just to get a basic computer alignment. After installing the new drop bracket the wheel was quite off, as you’d expect, since the truck had been aligned to a half broken drop bracket in the past.

This alignment was in April. Seemed ok after, it drove straight and nothing looked out of sorts underneath. I didn’t ask questions.

After a few hundred miles the passenger wheel has been looking pretty off camber, it’s leaning inward.. top of wheel is closer to truck and bottom is further. It seems like this has slowly developed. I thought I was imagining things but sure enough someone on the road shouted a heads up about it and I pulled over and noticed it had gotten worse.
So as a customer I took the truck back to the cheap shop and fully explained the situation. My main concern was that someone hadn’t tightened back up the camber adjustment and it was gradually sliding out.

They had all new staff by this point. The turnover rate there is nuts. Anyways the new guy who “correctively” aligned it this time was very young and the camber wasn’t addressed at all. Naturally afterwards I asked if they did camber and they said they only adjusted the toe because “there is no camber adjustment in your aftermarket suspension” which was surprising to hear.

So I’m kind of at square one figuring out what is what.
The brand new aftermarket drop bracket has a pivot bolt (or whatever you call them) that are definitely a WAY to adjust camber. They’re located in middle area of the truck, not by the wheels. I had always figured these were kind of a “user camber” thing for quick customizing of camber on the fly without losing your base alignment. The old Rancho drop bracket doesn’t even have this camber pivot bolt, so there has to still be a way to adjust camber, no?
I have my user camber bolt dead center, I installed following instructions. And it hasn’t budged at all, it’s still perfectly centered. And I’m positive the wheel was not this off camber when I had it aligned at the same shop 3 months ago.

Im not well versed in suspension components yet. Can anyone tell from these pics what I should be looking for in order to determine if my truck is somehow missing camber adjustment points? These pics are all of the passenger wheel..
B6AD7634-C8EE-472B-ACE3-BA122A6B4330.jpeg

100D03CD-810B-44C6-B2CD-141E005399AB.jpeg

6D66DF93-7813-4587-8936-806C4B1B9A3F.jpeg

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There are definitely camber adjustments that are done with either fixed angle bushings or adjustable bushings. I would be asking for a refund and finding a new shop if they can't figure out something like that... it would be like your eye doctor giving you a new pair of glasses without prescription lenses in them.

If they did any sort of computerized alignment on your truck, it would have flagged the camber as being way off and that should have alerted the tech to dig into it further!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Definitely need better shop. This particular type of front suspension is not common and even Ford has not used it in many years, since mid 90's, I believe. So you need a shop with an older, more experienced tech.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
There are definitely camber adjustments that are done with either fixed angle bushings or adjustable bushings. I would be asking for a refund and finding a new shop if they can't figure out something like that... it would be like your eye doctor giving you a new pair of glasses without prescription lenses in them.

If they did any sort of computerized alignment on your truck, it would have flagged the camber as being way off and that should have alerted the tech to dig into it further!
Yeah, they mean well but the guys there are KIDS now. Probably all just out of high school with one senior tech probably 23. Manager is maybe 25 and knows only a little about vehicles, mostly handling phone calls and paperwork. And i'm being serious when i say the entire shop/staff was different just 3 months ago.
Before the covid shutdowns this place had a regular staff that i had known for a few years and they all were pretty well versed. It's a chain store so it will not die it will just struggle to not cause damage haha.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I agree you need an EXPERIENCED alignment tech- and one than won't b/s you about what's adjustable. I would also request (1) that everything be set to preferred, and (2) a before and after printout. It takes time to do it right, if the tech is flat rate taking extra time to do it right will cost him money.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One pet peeve of mine when a shop does an alignment................
They often use the Locking steering wheel to hold the wheel straight, and its NEVER straight, lol

I ask them to please TIE OFF the steering wheel so its straight, before adjusting alignment

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
One pet peeve of mine when a shop does an alignment................
They often use the Locking steering wheel to hold the wheel straight, and its NEVER straight, lol

I ask them to please TIE OFF the steering wheel so its straight, before adjusting alignment
We always used a steering wheel holder to make sure it was centered, then we test drove every vehicle to confirm.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Ford still uses the Twin-Beam suspension on 2WD F-250 & F-350 trucks (with the same camber bushings too). You would think because of this that shops would be familiar with them. I suspect typical shop training materials don't properly address these suspensions (never have), and is why so many places are just guessing at them. A small independent "mom & pop" shop that's been around awhile might be your best bet.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Bring it to the trail ride next month, along with a tape measure, about 15ft f string, a yellow crayon and a case of good beer. We’ll have a TTB alignment training session around the campfire one night and you’ll be all fixed up good as new.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Ford still uses the Twin-Beam suspension on 2WD F-250 & F-350 trucks (with the same camber bushings too). You would think because of this that shops would be familiar with them. I suspect typical shop training materials don't properly address these suspensions (never have), and is why so many places are just guessing at them. A small independent "mom & pop" shop that's been around awhile might be your best bet.
You're assuming independent shops do training, after what I saw during 42 years at the dealer I think that's optimistic. We used to pay $5000+ per year to Ford for the "Value Package"- access to online training, manuals, etc. It wasn't "mandatory" but if a tech couldn't access web training to do the prerequisites, he wasn't eligible to go to classroom training and his certification would expire. No certs means any warranty claims with his ID would not be paid. But it wasn't mandatory to but the "Value Package".
We bought a Hunter Hawkeye Elite alignment system several years ago (for only $60,000) and it contained alignment manuals that showed how to adjust most vehicles. Most systems have similar features for the tech to access IF he wants to. Many alignment "techs" are of the set-the-toe-and-let-her-go philosophy, or they'll get everything in the green(meaning within specs) and ship it. Problem is, for example- if the toe-in is at max allowable and the camber is at max positive allowable- it will chew the outside edge off the tires.
If it ain't set to the preferred specs, it ain't aligned.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Bring it to the trail ride next month, along with a tape measure, about 15ft f string, a yellow crayon and a case of good beer. We’ll have a TTB alignment training session around the campfire one night and you’ll be all fixed up good as new.
I thought horror stories were told around the campfire...

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
I thought horror stories were told around the campfire...
I can just tell this story again but add some camber meddling ghosts..

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I can just tell this story again but add some camber meddling ghosts..
That's not horrifying enough, perhaps add some rust/corrosion aspects to it with bleeding knuckles and a few choice words.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals