• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New purchase, overall status, anything missing?

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Hey all,
Very first post here.
Just picked up an 89 Ranger, V6 2.9 4x4 regular cab.
I suppose this thread could grow a bit since I'm bound to run into lots and lots of questions..

I think the first things i'd like to address are routine sensors replacement, vacuum line cleanliness, fuel filters, and last but not least, addressing anything weird done by previous owners like missing connections here and there.

The Ranger has around 80K on it (and with over all condition of truck it doesn't appear to have rolled over the odometer) so it's a good time to replace some sensors anyways.

First i left the vehicle untouched and pulled some codes. During KOER it get 21,41,72,73,74. However, i'm not positive that i had the engine warm enough for those to be certain. I let it idle for a few minutes. The idle was sometimes/momentarily choppy and erratic, though not ever dangerous sounding.

After that, the following day, I put in a new MAP sensor and it seems to have stabilized quite a bit. Idle still started a tad high at around 1400 RPM, but quickly it settled into about 1000 RPM and the more i let it run the more it smoothed out and deviated a lot less than before. When idling before replacing MAP sensor, even after running for a few minutes it would suddenly jump and plateau to different RPM's pretty significantly. After this, I then simply added a bunch of Ethanol-free fuel. There was around 1/8th tank of fuel in the tank, and i filled it up to about 3/4 using Ethanol free i had in my containers already. Things improved even more, and idle has been sitting pretty at 1000 RPM seemingly for good. Honestly it could have been just the fuel delivery being a little week and 1/8th tank wasn't enough to keep things constant since the truck is parked at a slight uphill incline, and just adding any fuel type would have made things better. But i like the idea of using Ethanol-free fuel in pretty much all old vehicles. My1969 motorcycle behaves better with it.

When looking for the MAP originally (which i finally figured out was inside the firewall), I noticed something else snipped.. Close to the part of firewall where my MAP sensor is buried in, there's a free standing bracket with a yellow-iso plastic piece. It's got 3 short wires dangling down. What is this?? It's a bit dim so hard to see, but those wires are just free in the wind.

I haven't received the Hayne book in the mail yet, but when i do i'm sure it will point me to what this is..

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hey all,
Very first post here.
Just picked up an 89 Ranger, V6 2.9 4x4 regular cab.
I suppose this thread could grow a bit since I'm bound to run into lots and lots of questions..

I think the first things i'd like to address are routine sensors replacement, vacuum line cleanliness, fuel filters, and last but not least, addressing anything weird done by previous owners like missing connections here and there.

The Ranger has around 80K on it (and with over all condition of truck it doesn't appear to have rolled over the odometer) so it's a good time to replace some sensors anyways.

First i left the vehicle untouched and pulled some codes. During KOER it get 21,41,72,73,74. However, i'm not positive that i had the engine warm enough for those to be certain. I let it idle for a few minutes. The idle was sometimes/momentarily choppy and erratic, though not ever dangerous sounding.

After that, the following day, I put in a new MAP sensor and it seems to have stabilized quite a bit. Idle still started a tad high at around 1400 RPM, but quickly it settled into about 1000 RPM and the more i let it run the more it smoothed out and deviated a lot less than before. When idling before replacing MAP sensor, even after running for a few minutes it would suddenly jump and plateau to different RPM's pretty significantly. After this, I then simply added a bunch of Ethanol-free fuel. There was around 1/8th tank of fuel in the tank, and i filled it up to about 3/4 using Ethanol free i had in my containers already. Things improved even more, and idle has been sitting pretty at 1000 RPM seemingly for good. Honestly it could have been just the fuel delivery being a little week and 1/8th tank wasn't enough to keep things constant since the truck is parked at a slight uphill incline, and just adding any fuel type would have made things better. But i like the idea of using Ethanol-free fuel in pretty much all old vehicles. My1969 motorcycle behaves better with it.

When looking for the MAP originally (which i finally figured out was inside the firewall), I noticed something else snipped.. Close to the part of firewall where my MAP sensor is buried in, there's a free standing bracket with a yellow-iso plastic piece. It's got 3 short wires dangling down. What is this?? It's a bit dim so hard to see, but those wires are just free in the wind.

I haven't received the Hayne book in the mail yet, but when i do i'm sure it will point me to what this is..

View attachment 50038
Need a better photo.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
That.... doesn't look stock. 🤔

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
That.... doesn't look stock. 🤔
Well it would be convenient if i could just remove it, because my new MAP sensor is just sitting on top of stuff since i couldn't get the old one out from the firewall. Would love to just mount my MAP to this bracket holding an unidentifiable disconnected object!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well heat changes air pressure, which is why the MAP was mounted to firewall or inner fender usually behind wiring harness, to reduce its temp changing too much, firewall or metal inner fender acts like a heat sink

Can you mount it to the firewall next to the old one?
you can just pry the old one off, breaking clips, then mount the new one using short self tapping screws next to old location

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Well heat changes air pressure, which is why the MAP was mounted to firewall or inner fender usually behind wiring harness, to reduce its temp changing too much, firewall or metal inner fender acts like a heat sink

Can you mount it to the firewall next to the old one?
you can just pry the old one off, breaking clips, then mount the new one using short self tapping screws next to old location
Yeah i can figure out a way to mount in the effective location. Understood about heat variations. I'm pretty sure i can force my way into that compartment after some more effort.
Now i'm mostly concerned about this stray object on the bracket. I mean, what was the bracket used for per OEM design and is it now missing? Or did someone add that bracket just for this stray object.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not OEM that I have ever seen

Maybe previous own had a engine bay temp gauge?
You would want it higher up and away from other surfaces

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
For sure not stock. Where does the wire on the bottom run to?
In the first pic, i circle three wires that are snipped. They're like a couple inches long and just snipped and doing nothing. So whatever it was, someone decided to kill it but not remove it. I suppose i'll do the removal!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
In the first pic, i circle three wires that are snipped. They're like a couple inches long and just snipped and doing nothing. So whatever it was, someone decided to kill it but not remove it. I suppose i'll do the removal!
Missed that one...oops.

Wonder if it was hooked to a alarm/theft deterrent?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Weird. I'd remove it,

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not OEM parts, purpose unknown, remove and place in circular file.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
All right thanks i'll incinerate it.

Next items of somewhat mystery...
( I'm sorry this is so rudimentary right now. I can't wait for the Haynes manual to show up so I can navigate everything. )

Near front of bay, just towards the passenger side of and below the fan/shrowd, there are two wide open items. One thinner black plastic tube comes from the area of the radiator.
The other is just hardware that's open... maybe part of the air system that should have something connected to it that leads to grill for fresh air?
Are these both supposed to be both wide open?

Lastly, below those pics, i'm not sure what this component is but the top has a seemingly open hole. I can imagine this is for air venting for its own operation, but wanted to confirm before ignoring it forever. It's a threaded hole, so a bit concerning.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals