• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the Lawn Mower thread.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I've got 2+ acres to mow. Fought with standard riders for years, had a couple of decent ones, a couple of POS's. I finally broke down and bought a Bad Boy zero turn from Tractor Supply. I've only had it a couple of years, but so far I'm happy with it. If you've got acreage to mow and can swing t he cost, I highly recommend a "quality" zero turn. Mows better, faster and easier, IMO. It's almost like riding a push mower if that makes sense. The Kohler engine on mine is fairly quiet and, so far, cranks in seconds.

For the string trimmer, I just recently bought a Milwaukee 18v trimmer. Haven't had it long enough to really recommend it, but if it's anything like the other Milwaukee tools I've had, it will pay for itself in no time. It's as powerful as my 4 stroke Craftsman gas trimmer and is supposed to have an hour run time on the standard 5 amp hour battery. I'm only good for about 30 minutes at a time on a trimmer due to my back, so that's plenty of run time for me with just one battery. Not to mention, it's lighter, obviously quieter and instant on.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've never had a problem with any of my lawnmowers...

IMG953480.jpg

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
This also seems relevant.

lawnmoa_web.jpg

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I take it you don't have a lot of landscape plants.
I'm not a 70 year old woman so no... I dont plant tulips and daisies...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That goat would have probably self ignited had it found last years pepper patch in my backyard..

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Those goats could eat nuclear waste... I've seen them eat everything from roadkill to old lumber.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Although I have never personally ate nuclear waste... I have ate my wife's cooking... it probably shares some similar qualities. That's why I cook.

I canned a batch of ghost pepper salsa last fall... I've never experienced that level of heat. I know I'm not wasting the garden space ever again to the evil heat.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Murray was free, had been left behind at one of my customers rental houses. He drove it to his house and parked it in his machine sheds in case his teenage kids needed it when they moved out... they both moved a long ways away so he asked if I wanted to come and get it. I was well past tired of dealing with my old Deere so I jumped on it, couldn’t even tell what color it was under the machine shed dirt. All four tires were flat/shot so we winched it on the trailer and hauled it home. Went thru the carb, replaced the choke cable and stuck a battery in it. Ran great. Switched tires from an old Ranch King that came with my place to see what I had. For repairs the front tires died last year and this year so I have replaced those, starter drive gear, a deck spindle (found a rotted out hog pan, killed the blade too) and the original 1996 primary deck belt and idler pulley died a couple weeks ago.

The old A-C mowers are cool, especially the tractor inspired ones... given the option I would rather go to a zero turn for my next one though. The one at work has spoiled me.

Weedacker is a old Echo GT-2100 from the 80’s or early 90’s. No primer bulb, starts on the 4th or fifth pull. It just works.

I am not really crazy about playing with mowers, I plowed my wife's garden with about 4 passes with my WD and a 2-14 pulltype JD 44 plow. Then I went and hitched up my 12' Snap-Coupler disk and disked it down. If it ever dries out I am going to plant sweet corn with my JD 730 hard ground lister which will be in turn cultivated with my JD B.

I like the excuse to play with my old stuff. :yahoo:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Mike Tonon

My parents had a $99 1984 MTD push-lawnmower from Kmart. 3.5 hp B&S engine, with extended rope start and Magnetron ignition. 22” cut. It just seemed like manufacturers put more into those old mowers. The thing lasted 15 years or so with no real problems. I think my dad changed the blade once and that little rubber connector at the carburetor and maybe took the carburetor off and cleaned it, in that time. But at the 15 year mark, the throttle cable broke and then the bracket broke off the deck that was holding the handle bar. New throttle cable and my buddy welded the bracket. And a new pull cord. Got another 5 good years out of it.

I have a newer version of that mower, now. And it’s ok, after I modified it, lol. But the old mower deck was deeper, I think about 5 inches deep and more square. Where as this one is only about 3-4 inches deep and rounded. The old deck seemed to allow for better air flow, sucking up the grass strands, more and making a more even cut and didn’t need to be cleaned of grass clippings as often.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
well, i just got around to ordering the Magneto. it should be here by Wednesday. i think I'm going to go ahead and replace the solenoid while I'm at it. That way almost everything will have been replaced within the same calendar year.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
My Murray was free, had been left behind at one of my customers rental houses. He drove it to his house and parked it in his machine sheds in case his teenage kids needed it when they moved out... they both moved a long ways away so he asked if I wanted to come and get it. I was well past tired of dealing with my old Deere so I jumped on it, couldn’t even tell what color it was under the machine shed dirt. All four tires were flat/shot so we winched it on the trailer and hauled it home. Went thru the carb, replaced the choke cable and stuck a battery in it. Ran great. Switched tires from an old Ranch King that came with my place to see what I had. For repairs the front tires died last year and this year so I have replaced those, starter drive gear, a deck spindle (found a rotted out hog pan, killed the blade too) and the original 1996 primary deck belt and idler pulley died a couple weeks ago.

The old A-C mowers are cool, especially the tractor inspired ones... given the option I would rather go to a zero turn for my next one though. The one at work has spoiled me.

Weedacker is a old Echo GT-2100 from the 80’s or early 90’s. No primer bulb, starts on the 4th or fifth pull. It just works.

I am not really crazy about playing with mowers, I plowed my wife's garden with about 4 passes with my WD and a 2-14 pulltype JD 44 plow. Then I went and hitched up my 12' Snap-Coupler disk and disked it down. If it ever dries out I am going to plant sweet corn with my JD 730 hard ground lister which will be in turn cultivated with my JD B.

I like the excuse to play with my old stuff. :yahoo:

One of the things that makes living in the white/striped collar suburbs manageable for me is that the local big box stores have an abundance of dead lawn and garden equipment for sale this time of year.

Yuppies will buy mowers/tillers/weed eaters, etc. and forgot to put oil or two stroke fuel in them and blow them up the first time they use them. Most blown small stuff is $5-50, and the bigger stuff like riding mowers are 100-200. I'll grab a few each year, order a short block off eBay, and sell them as "new - used once" on Craigslist for 70-75% of retail. Easy freaking money all summer long, and always a 150-300% profit.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Had a guy buy a leaf blower cheap somewhere and couldnt get it to run so he brought it in to our shop. Check the vitals and it had good fire and compression.

Check the fuel and he had put ag diesel in it (dyed red). Flushed the tank, put two stoke gas in it and it ran fine, exhaust was smoking white and smelled terrible though.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
But... the off rod diesel is so much cheaper and I have crap loads of it. Are you sure I can't run it in my blower?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals