• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Newb Question About 3.0 injection

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey man, every rose has its thorn. But i doubt the 2.9 owner will be to upset about his oil filter placement when he drops the clutch on a taurus powered 3rd gen and stomps a mudhole in it.

Besides, since 2.9 owners are real men theyll just grip that sumbitch with their large hands filled with calliouses from all the heavy stuff they load into their truck that can actually move stuff and twist it right off. Ford figured anyone with a 3.0 truck will just go to the quick-lube anyways :thefinger: :D
Drove my 98 3.0 from California to Oklahoma with the bed loaded and a trailer with two very large heavy street bikes on it, and the front of the trailer loaded with weight to get the tongue weight proper. Not a problem, even in all the uphill from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Just kept the OD off on the uphills.

But anyway, I don't worry about my Ranger being the fastest. I keep it for driving when the weather is crap, so my LIGHTNING can stay in the garage and stay clean.

The Ranger is just a beater for me.

Attachments

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
As much as im not a fan of the 97-03 F150s, (mainly cause they replaced the 92-96), i always thought the lightnings were sharp trucks. My uncle had a black one years ago, it would haul some pretty serious ass.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Agreed. But your post reminds me - The 3.0 has a nice boring side-mounted oil filter that's easy to change with a cheap strap-type wrench (if required). The 2.9, with it's vertical placement and limited side clearance, may force a guy to go shopping for an end-gripper or a vertical style strapwrench, if the PO decided to reef it in there!
Oh screw that. I'd rather change the oil filter on a Cologne engine over a 3.0 ANY day. The 3.0's oil filter placement is stupid enough on the Taurus, but since the engine was designed with being transverse mounted in the first place having it in a longitudinal setup is a real pain. Steering shafts and exhaust manifolds in the way up top, starters and diffs in the way on the bottom, wheels in the way on the side.

And I can't tell you how many 3.0 starters I have replaced and when I took the old one out oil just ran out of them. Who puts the starter right below the oil filter!!!!?! That isn't going to cause a lick of trouble in the long term.

The Cologne engine oil filter is out in the open, nothing in the way of getting it undone, no battery cable posts to weld with if you actually need to put a tool on it.

I have probably changed more oil than most of the people on this board ever will. I have used every tool imaginable on almost every engine Ford ever made. If is not hard to use a strap wrench on the 2.9. You just have to be smarter than the ground you are laying on.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 still has the original starter. 20 years old and counting. 155,000 miles and counting. Stock alternator and water pump as well. only thing I've had to change was the power steering pump, and probably unnecessarily. Changed it due to a loud squeal, which ended up being the belt.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As much as im not a fan of the 97-03 F150s, (mainly cause they replaced the 92-96), i always thought the lightnings were sharp trucks. My uncle had a black one years ago, it would haul some pretty serious ass.
Those of us that drive Lightning's think it is the ultimate F-150. We all love the flare side body and how it looks. I don't care for the slab side body's though.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My 98 still has the original starter. 20 years old and counting. 155,000 miles and counting. Stock alternator and water pump as well. only thing I've had to change was the power steering pump, and probably unnecessarily. Changed it due to a loud squeal, which ended up being the belt.
155k? Thats cute :)

Rusty #1, my old 87 2.9 powered ranger, i had bought brand new in 87, with .5 mi on the odo, and retired in 09 with well, well, WELL over 300,000 on the odo, had the original starter, alternator, water pump, ps pump, both fuel pumps, everthing. Only thing i changed was a TFI sometime around 99.

It burned no oil, no coolant, fired everytime, still got 21mpg or so, and would eat rubber in the 1st 3 gears (5sp).

You will never convince me the 3.0 has anything over the 2.9 in any department. Hell, the 2,9 even looks cooler.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh screw that. I'd rather change the oil filter on a Cologne engine over a 3.0 ANY day. The 3.0's oil filter placement is stupid enough on the Taurus, but since the engine was designed with being transverse mounted in the first place having it in a longitudinal setup is a real pain. Steering shafts and exhaust manifolds in the way up top, starters and diffs in the way on the bottom, wheels in the way on the side.
Agree totally. Just bad design. For the first several years on my truck's life I used a remote mount filter, but now I'm back to the factory location and the struggle of the oil filter.

I've contemplated disconnecting the steering shaft as it looks like it might telescope off and on. Anyone tried that?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Agree totally. Just bad design. For the first several years on my truck's life I used a remote mount filter, but now I'm back to the factory location and the struggle of the oil filter.

I've contemplated disconnecting the steering shaft as it looks like it might telescope off and on. Anyone tried that?
Even if it had been a few inches forward, closer to where the 302 filter is, it would have been much better, but like I said, the 3.0 was designed to go in the Taurus. It was put in the Ranger as an after though because marketing thought there should be a second small V6, and pencil-pushing and bean-counting said "hey, we already have one"

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I admit I find the oil filter a little bit inconvenient. But, until now, never thought it bad enough to complain about. Worst part is that I always have a small mess where everything drips and runs during the filter change process.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford installed a funnel on my truck to divert the filter oil away from the starter.

I unscrew the filter and let it drain while it hangs on an angle resting against the steering shaft.

So again, has anyone tried uncoupling the steering shaft? That would free up a lot of access.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ford installed a funnel on my truck to divert the filter oil away from the starter.

I unscrew the filter and let it drain while it hangs on an angle resting against the steering shaft.

So again, has anyone tried uncoupling the steering shaft? That would free up a lot of access.
I have not tried the steering shaft thing. I usually unscrew them from the top and then pull the filter out through the wheel well, or try to knock it off that funnel.

That funnel would have been a nice idea on the Taurus, that's the reason Ranger 3.0s don't have the same starter issues the Tauruses do even though it is the same starter.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have not tried the steering shaft thing.
I'll let you know as I'm going to investigate. There is only one bolt that connects the two shafts and I doubt, even for Ford engineers, that they'll make me pull the steering column or steering box to separate the shafts.

Getting that shaft out of the way will create a lot of access and clearance.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'll let you know as I'm going to investigate. There is only one bolt that connects the two shafts and I doubt, even for Ford engineers, that they'll make me pull the steering column or steering box to separate the shafts.

Getting that shaft out of the way will create a lot of access and clearance.
It should telescope. Never yanked a ranger column but i know F/E series ones did. Athough it might be a bitch to get it to slide the first time or two.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I disconnected the shaft on the '99 Explorer when I was getting to the engine mount bolts. No big deal, just yank the bolt and they popped apart easily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals