• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Callsigns?

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
KE6KA.

AE5HL here, have a CB installed in my truck (you have a hell of a time getting weather/road information via 2 meters on the road). I think 6 meters might be a little difficult, but with sunspot conditions improving you might work some serious DX. Why not finish the rest of the exams and go HF? Work QRP exclusively...
No NOAA weather radio on your 2-meter rig?

6 meters is a lot of fun in the summer when there are Es openings. I've talked to a lot of mobiles on 6 meter SSB during these openings.

Is that clean wattage or do you bleed over radio/tv? Thats why some hams don't like cbers. It's kinda like owning a 100k honda civic and being pissed off everytime you hear sometime talk about how fast their civic is with a cai and muffler. :icon_rofl:

Btw, wattage isn't everything. Hams can talk worldwide with less than 1 watt and a good antenna.
He's running 1200 watts of pure intermodulation distortion!

Third generation ham here.
Same here.
Me: KE6KA (formerly KC6ZLV)
Dad (SK): N6AJ (former callsigns K6QHC, KG6JIH on Guam, WA1PIB in RI, KX6AI on Kwajalein).
Grandfather (SK): K6TBQ and KE6KA. I was just granted his latter callsign under the vanity system.

well i am not a "licensed radio operator" butt i have been using cb/ham radio equipment all of my life. My friends gave me the nick name bullfrog when i was a youngster and it carried over to the radio.

So, Bullfrog here,
Outlaw
Radio
Inc.

Happy 73's everyone.
Bullfrog13x4 :icon_cheers:
Well, at least Bullfrog isn't derogatory like "Linear Lips."

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
YR17C, I used to use a CB, but it got old and gave out.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
YR17C isn't a valid callsign.
It's what my dad told me to use, it stood for yellow ranger 17 colorado. Probably a mistake for listening to him, gah what a troll. Not really a communications expert. Well, I feel like and idiot now. I assume that you're supposed to use alpha, bravo, charlie, and such?

Last edited:

FireFighter431

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I used to run on the CB I was knighthawk. That was years ago though, although I am putting a radio in my truck and will still use that handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It's what my dad told me to use, it stood for yellow ranger 17 colorado. Probably a mistake for listening to him, gah what a troll. Not really a communications expert. Well, I feel like and idiot now. I assume that you're supposed to use alpha, bravo, charlie, and such?
That is a CB handle. A real callsign starting with YR would be in Romania. Callsigns are issued by whatever organization a government gives authority to regulate radio licensing. Furthermore, callsigns are allocated internationally with each country (or geographic region/territory of a country) having their own prefixes. The United States has all W, K, and N. AAA through ALZ is also allocated to the United States. The United States also allocates specific prefixes to various geographic areas. WH6, KH6, NH6 and AH6 for Hawaii, AL7, KL7, WL7, NL7 for Alaska, KH2, WH2, NH2, AH2 for Guam, and there are others. Mexico has XAA-XIZ. Think of the radio stations from Mexico that have callsigns like XEW and XEROK (Wolfman Jack was on that one), and TV stations like XHJK.

Canada has some blocks of prefixes that start with C and V. Like CISL, CFAC, and VOCM. Amateur radio uses the VE prefix in Canada.

Australia uses VK. New Zealand uses ZL.

Anyway, I found a link with the prefix allocations, if you are interested.

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/glad/cga_callsign.sh

Different formats within countries are sometimes use for different services. Here in the US, broadcasting (TV, AM, FM) uses three or four letters only. Amateur radio uses one or two letters followed by a number, followed by up to three letters (such as K6L, KK6L K6LL, K6LLL, KL6LLL), and NOAA Weather Radio uses three letters followed by two or three numbers (WXL 89), and of course there are many others.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
That is a CB handle. A real callsign starting with YR would be in Romania. Callsigns are issued by whatever organization a government gives authority to regulate radio licensing. Furthermore, callsigns are allocated internationally with each country (or geographic region/territory of a country) having their own prefixes. The United States has all W, K, and N. AAA through ALZ is also allocated to the United States. The United States also allocates specific prefixes to various geographic areas. WH6, KH6, NH6 and AH6 for Hawaii, AL7, KL7, WL7, NL7 for Alaska, KH2, WH2, NH2, AH2 for Guam, and there are others. Mexico has XAA-XIZ. Think of the radio stations from Mexico that have callsigns like XEW and XEROK (Wolfman Jack was on that one), and TV stations like XHJK.

Canada has some blocks of prefixes that start with C and V. Like CISL, CFAC, and VOCM. Amateur radio uses the VE prefix in Canada.

Australia uses VK. New Zealand uses ZL.

Anyway, I found a link with the prefix allocations, if you are interested.

http://www.itu.int/online/mms/glad/cga_callsign.sh

Different formats within countries are sometimes use for different services. Here in the US, broadcasting (TV, AM, FM) uses three or four letters only. Amateur radio uses one or two letters followed by a number, followed by up to three letters (such as K6L, KK6L K6LL, K6LLL, KL6LLL), and NOAA Weather Radio uses three letters followed by two or three numbers (WXL 89), and of course there are many others.
Thanks, but I don't use my cb anymore, partly because its dead. 50 years old it had a good life, and I really never used it, only on trips to Colorado and such. Maybe later on, if I go for a career in petroleum engineering I might get one, considering I would have to travel alot.

RangerRage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
VE5PSL. Basic with honors giving me full hf, vhf, and uhf privleges. the best part is, in canada, we dont use band plans. we can operate AM on the same frequency as another ham is trying to operate morse code and do nothing wrong.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
This sounds awesome. How do you become a ham operator, hope it don't cost to much in fees.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This sounds awesome. How do you become a ham operator, hope it don't cost to much in fees.
Its not to bad you have to take a test, there are lots of places online to help you with that www.hamstudy.org is one of them. and the fee is $15.00 depending on the club and is good for 10 years.
all that is the cheap part.
http://www.arrl.org/helloradio-org might be a good place to start reading about Ham radio.
Good luck

RangerRage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
my test cost $20 Canadian. the only expensive part is the radios but if you can find a club nearby, more often than not, they can help you out. i managed to get an Icom IC-735 for free. awesome score! dont be afraid to ask and you will see it is fairly simple.

Finnigan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Its not to bad you have to take a test, there are lots of places online to help you with that www.hamstudy.org is one of them. and the fee is $15.00 depending on the club and is good for 10 years.
all that is the cheap part.
http://www.arrl.org/helloradio-org might be a good place to start reading about Ham radio.
Good luck
Bear in mind that $15 is to take the test, pass or fail. If you fail you will have to pay $15 to try again. If you pass you should be able to take the higher elements (general and extra) during the same session without paying again if you want. However, if you decide to take the next elements at a later date you will have to pay $15 again.

That's how it worked at my club.

Now something else important to remember is once you pass the test your license is good for 10 years, but it is free to renew as long as you don't let it lapse.

So basically, try some practice tests online for the tech license. pay $15 to test, and if you pass (which should be cake, especially after online practice) any you have a license for life as long as you don't let it lapse.

BTW, I believe, as long as you keep your address current with the FCC, they will remind you to renew.

It really is easy to get the tech. It's basic radio theory, some basic laws and courteous practices.

KC2NYP

PS. You can usually find a decent used 2m rig at a hamfest for $50 or so. I did have a club member gift me one. I also traded a paintball gun for another (= ~ $80)

Last edited:

90jurassic2

U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm either Jurassic or white1. My friend is white2.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Ok, as this seems to be the only Amateur Radio thread I can find maybe you can help guide me. I would really like to get my Amateur Radio license but I'm having a hard time with the technical exam questions. Where can I go to get practice tests and general reading on the Technician Class exams?

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ok, as this seems to be the only Amateur Radio thread I can find maybe you can help guide me. I would really like to get my Amateur Radio license but I'm having a hard time with the technical exam questions. Where can I go to get practice tests and general reading on the Technician Class exams?
Try this site https://hamstudy.org/ its a great place to take tests and to study the questions

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals