TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you should be able to transmit more than that to a repeater, the idea with repeaters is they can receive much further distances because of the yagi array, then transmit it MUCH further because of a) the fact that they often push like 1000w, and they transmit on multiple, directional antennas

my 70cm HT i've used mostly short distance, but I've talked to people on FRS who were about 6 miles away, I can't hear them because FRS is legally max 2w, but they could hear me loud and clear, probably 1-2db over s9 my HT I believe is 5w

off the top of my head, I would say that your max distance to a repeater should be atleast double your peer to peer distance, at any given power, keep in mind that as you increase the power of your radio, the distance you can talk TO the repater can increase, however receiving from will be the same, but typically receiving isn't the issue in this case

Last edited:

artfull dodger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 & 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
N9XLZ here, licensed since the early 90's, general class with code. Not real active right now beyond storm spotting with Skywarn. But hope to get back on the HF bands in the next couple years. 73's Mike

shooter05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
W8CRZ here folks! Have been president of 2 different local ham clubs, ran net control for weekly nets as well as been NC for emergency nets.
Hams are like no others! great people!

wildbill23c

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Just got my Technician License 2 days ago. KI7MLL. Haven't done much yet, just getting started in radios and such.

Cobratek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
KE7FNC - Got my Tech in '05 and General in 07 :cool:

I'm getting ready to install a 2M radio in my pickup, and have already gleaned a few good tips from this sub, so thank you.

I've decided to go with a gutter mounted light bar so I can put my Firestik in the center of the roof. My radio will put out 50w and I don't wanna attenuate that strong a signal with my body.

It's a Kenwood TM-271

steve0suprem0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
maserati
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
km6kss checking in. been a technician since summer 2017. just bought my ranger a week ago tomorrow night. never thought i had much to say for ragchewing, but recently just getting into aprs. hoping to do much more dxing and camping in the truck. i'll be running a tyt th-7800, iirc. so... hi! nice to see this thread is still gasping.