Things I don't miss on vehicles


Featured Build Threads

Hand crank starter :not_i:
Late 60s and early 70s Citroen DS had a crank starter in addition to the electric starter. The car, while ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road had a bunch of neat innovative technologies in it. It had headlights that turned with the wheels (like the Tucker, but both sets, not just a separate center light) , you could also retract either of the rear wheels, could change a tire without a jack plus with that feature you could retract the flat wheel and drive short distances without changing it. and had fully independent suspension and disk brakes in the mid 60s. Quite an engineering marvel for its time. Youtuber Car Wizard did a show on one, showing these features. Highly recommend it

AJ
 
Motorized seat belts (those dumb things that sped along the A-piller, up over the door frame and down the B-piller to (s)trap you in your seat).

Carburetors

Drum brakes (still am being tortured by these things, won't miss them lol)

Non-halogen (sealed beam) headlamps (halogen headlamps will soon be in the "Things I (do) miss on vehicles" thread)

R-134a freon
my parents 94 saturn had them and so did my 95 escort, i loved everything about that saturn...except that lol
 
My Plymouth Laser had power seatbelts, they didn't work and were just always back so I had to buckle up two seatbelts... which honestly felt like I was strapping into a fighter jet and was kind of fun.
 
ill add one...

pumping the gas to set the choke, my 68 thunderbird was a bear to start when it was cold..had to give it a sniff of the good stuff lol

 
Pardon unintentional misspelling of name, JIM.
My only experience with hand cranks is friends 1940 international farmall tractor.
Big ohv straight six gasoline motor was booger to start. Required strong arm and several rotations for magneto to fire.
Durng winter, we pull started tractor rather than wrestling hand crank. 🦾
 
Pardon unintentional misspelling of name, JIM.
My only experience with hand cranks is friends 1940 international farmall tractor.
Big ohv straight six gasoline motor was booger to start. Required strong arm and several rotations for magneto to fire.
Durng winter, we pull started tractor rather than wrestling hand crank. 🦾

No need to apologize... its good for him. :icon_thumby:
 
ill add one...

pumping the gas to set the choke, my 68 thunderbird was a bear to start when it was cold..had to give it a sniff of the good stuff lol

Probably the choke isn't set correctly.
Or the accelerator pump is weak, but that would also cause a stumble on acceleration.
 
ill add one...

pumping the gas to set the choke, my 68 thunderbird was a bear to start when it was cold..had to give it a sniff of the good stuff lol

I'd be happy to pump the gas to start my Escape- like I do on my Ranger and Mustang- if it meant that the 2-3 second hesitation when I stab the gas caused by the drive-by-wire throttle was gone.
 
I'd be happy to pump the gas to start my Escape- like I do on my Ranger and Mustang- if it meant that the 2-3 second hesitation when I stab the gas caused by the drive-by-wire throttle was gone.
Yeah, the drive by wire feel is disconcerting to say the least.
 
The horn push on the turn signal stem of the 84 Ranger that I had. That was so strange.:alien:
 
The horn push on the turn signal stem of the 84 Ranger that I had. That was so strange.:alien:

But you could run whatever steering wheel you wanted...
 
Motorized seat belts (those dumb things that sped along the A-piller, up over the door frame and down the B-piller to (s)trap you in your seat).

This.

People would use the shoulder belt but not secure the lap belt. During a crash, you could slide out from under it.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top